Author Topic: Remove overload ammo from all but 1 P-47  (Read 3464 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Remove overload ammo from all but 1 P-47
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »
Not trying to change the subject but by the same token did anybody take off with 50% fuel and drop tanks in WW2? Wouldn't applying the historical accuracy argument across the board have us all take off with full internal fuel all the time?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:41:40 PM »
I understand that gameplay concessions will be made with regards to fuel FLS.

However, why allow artificial weapons options?

It'd be like 480 hispano rounds in a spit9. Just because it's a game doesn't mean we gotta bend ALL the rules, eh?

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »

It'd be like 480 hispano rounds in a spit9. Just because it's a game doesn't mean we gotta bend ALL the rules, eh?

Could be like the 1000 lb bomb option on the P-51.  We've only found one instance where they were used (Iwo close support missions) but we have it in game, all the time.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
Could be like the 1000 lb bomb option on the P-51.  We've only found one instance where they were used (Iwo close support missions) but we have it in game, all the time.
weighs the 51 down too much. i just ignore the 1000s and take the 500s anyways in a pony. if i want 1ks i take jugs or bombers
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »

The Spit9 had a 480 round cannon option? The Jugs were designed for 6 guns and ended up with the option for 2 more. They had the option of the 270 or 425 (or 500) round loadout like our P-51D with the 4 gun option with 500 rounds per gun for 2 guns. You have the choice of gun/ammo package just like you do with fuel. Some people take off with 100% fuel all the time. Choice is good.

If you're flying a scenario then historical loadouts are expected and available.

I fully support your wishing for whatever you want here, but I don't see any reason to limit other people to your preference.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »
Here is my position on the matter (this applies to all aircraft not just the P-47)

• If the loadout was used in combat with adequate documentation, then it should be in included in Aces High
  • If the loadout was a factory option with no (or unsubstantiated) documentation of combat usage it should be excluded from Aces High
  • If the loadout was a factory produced field modification, that was used in combat with adequate documentation, then it should be in included in Aces High [Think B-25C chin guns]
  • If the loadout was a field produced modification (with factory documentation), that was used in combat with adequate documentation, then it should be in included in Aces High [Think B-25C gun's in the nose]
  • If the loadout was a field produced modification (without documentation), that was used in combat with adequate documentation, it should still be excluded from Aces High [no discernible way to draw the line at cannibalization]

This is not HTC's position as I understand it but, it would allow for many more options in game (both for the MA and special events), without having to add new planes.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »

That's a different thread (also splitting up rockets, or bombs. but not both). Albeit one that I'd support :)

FLS.... The F6F could take 20mm cannons. The P-40 was built with the ability (from the factory design) to carry 20mm cannons also. There are a large number of weaponry loadouts that are pure fantasy (that is, they never, or in only 1 rare case ever used these loadouts in the real war).

Do we want to have such fantastical setups? Most of us do not. This is a WW2 game and the vast majority of us play it to immerse ourselves into WW2. Not to just make things up (i.e. Luft '46 style) because they were a plan, or they were written on paper somewhere but never built/realized/used in the war.

We already have precedent for what should and should not be in the game. We have the removal of the 109F gondalas, the rolling back of the 109G6 to be late-1942 era (no 30mm), the removal of wing gondolas on the 109K4... and all these examples are just on one single family of craft! There are more!

The overload option was rarely if ever used by a single group for limited use in ground strafing. It's highly unrealistic to have them going around spraying 3600 rounds of ammo per plane -- yes I'm guilty of this too -- when it only carried about 300 per gun.

You want to talk about what COULD be done vs what WAS done? That's another debate, feel free to start a new topic.

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »
If the overload ammo for 4 out of 5 P-47 is removed then creators of this game has to provide lengthy explanation.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 04:56:48 AM »
Krusty anything that was used once isn't pure fantasy.  If the F6F-5 used 20mm during WW2 it would be a nice addition to AH but I believe that was only the F6F-5N.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 07:45:06 AM »
Krusty anything that was used once isn't pure fantasy.  If the F6F-5 used 20mm during WW2 it would be a nice addition to AH but I believe that was only the F6F-5N.

Only two 20mm's were used.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »
Whatever is historically correct I'm all for.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 10:26:46 AM »
Whatever is historically correct I'm all for.

You're just a historically correct slut!    :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
You're just a historically correct slut!    :devil
:rofl
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
The only version I could see looking at without more detailed data would be the P-47M because its the only version of the Thunderbolt to be used strictly in the air to air role.

Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:21 AM »
The P-47 was always a superiority fighter and interceptor from the beginning...

Just because the D-11 in-game doesn't perform like a -47M doesn't mean that it was any less impressive for it's time. It also broke the back of the Luftwaffe with the 267-round option.

Don't think that because it was moved to ground attack that it was any less of a fighter. Even in the target-scarce environment of the pacific, one ground attack unit developed many aces that engaged and killed the enemy to or from the target.