Author Topic: flaps usage and compression  (Read 1733 times)

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
flaps usage and compression
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »
Anyone use flaps to develop compression and turning quickly?

:salute

mobilis in mobile

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: flaps usage and compression
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
Lulu compression occurs at speeds that are too high to use flaps. Perhaps you mean something else.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »

If you pop flaps before going in to a dive, they will raise before you get compressed. If you need to make tighter turns in a fight, pop flaps. Google.com/translate is a marvelous thing.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »
If you pop flaps before going in to a dive, they will raise before you get compressed. If you need to make tighter turns in a fight, pop flaps. Google.com/translate is a marvelous thing.

Flaps let you turn slower but that doesn't always mean tighter and the OP was asking about quicker turns, presumably he meant a higher rate of turn rather than a smaller radius.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »

The P-38L has dive flaps that will help you pull out of a high speed dive by pitching the nose up but it has it's limitations and isn't a golden ticket out of compressability. 

As for using flaps to help you turn, yes, flaps can be used for this depending on the plane.  For example the P-38 can use it's flaps to help in maneuvering with better turning planes and the P-38L can even use the dive flaps at high speeds to help in maneuvering. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »
It seems to mee that when I put down flaps and I mantain my flying path, then I get some kind of compression.

I tought that this could have some role in ACM.

mobilis in mobile

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »
I think you might be confused about how we use the word "compression". I believe the term refers to when you are flying so fast that the pressure on the structure is too great for the control surfaces to react against...in-game it means when you're flying fast and discover you can't control the plane. Your controls "lock up" and it's almost impossible to change direction.

When you deploy flaps you extend the rear edges of your wings and tilt them downwards. (Extend them while you're on the ground and look out your side window and you'll see what I mean.) This gives your plane more lift, allowing you to stay in the air at slower speeds without fear of stalling, and it also allows your plane to turn tighter than it normally would. The downside is that you also create more drag, which may cause your plane to slow down.

With flaps out your stall warning will go on a lot sooner if you pull back on the stick, or if you try to maneuver, or in level flight if you are slowing down too quickly.  What you're experiencing is not compression, it's called 'buffeting' I think.  That's when your plane starts to shake as you approach stall speed.

I suggest you read the section on flight dynamics in the trainers website.  It will explain the physics involved when you fly, and why things like stalls, spins and compression happen.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »
It seems to mee that when I put down flaps and I mantain my flying path, then I get some kind of compression.

Putting your flaps down in level flight is similar to pulling the nose up in level flight. One of the effects of flaps is changing the effective incidence of the flapped portion of the wing. It's like part of the wing is rotated enough to change the angle of attack. Pilots usually trim the nose down to maintain level flight while adding flaps.

Because flaps increase drag it's not usually a better option than simply pulling the nose up so it wouldn't help with ACM. I hope this answers your question.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »
"Pilots usually trim the nose down to maintain level flight while adding flaps."

Does this clear flaps effects? Or is it a common flaps usage?

mobilis in mobile

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
"Pilots usually trim the nose down to maintain level flight while adding flaps."

it does neither, and where are you quoting it from......

it does not clear the flaps ability to aid in adding lift when being slower

it is not common flaps usage.......

you should trim to maintain level flight at what ever speed you are flying, regardless if you need flaps or not.......this being said mainly for your civil / commercial type flight training......

do not forget that this is a WWII combat fighting simulation / MMOG game ....... not the real world.... even though some real world stuff does relate to it
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:28:43 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »

Flaps would still have the effect of increasing drag and lowering your stall speed which, as an example, is useful for landing. To clear flap effects you would just put the flaps back up.

Flaps can help you turn because they lower the stall speed and let you fly at a higher angle of attack which increases lift.

Any discussion of flaps is complicated by the variety of flaps found on different airplanes. On some real airplanes adding flaps pitches the nose down instead of up but in AH it's always up.

I think what you noticed, and what caused your original question, is that extending flaps changes the speed you're trimmed for. You extend flaps and the nose wants to go up and you have to push the stick forward or trim the nose down to maintain level flight.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:06:53 PM by FLS »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »

could you explain to us what you mean? could you describe what happens when you put your flaps out, that you're asking about?

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »
Please learn to use the translator found at sites such as google.com/translate. It would make this discussion so much easier.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
Please learn to use the translator found at sites such as google.com/translate. It would make this discussion so much easier.

BrownBaron, thanks for refreshing our memory.. I had forgotten that lulu's native language is not english....

is "google.com/translate" the best translator site out there? that is free to the masses for translating languages?

am asking for myself and all others.... I never have used google's translator
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 04:04:58 AM »

Sadly, being in the process of learning another language, I have discovered that these translational tools struggle because of different languages having drastically different verb-subject-object orderings as well as the use of different articles and filler words used to signify dative/nominative/accusative cases. Esp, when the ordering is key in determining if the the sentence is a question or a statement or when a word or a word ordering do not have a one-to-one translation with english.

lulu, what is your native language, maybe you could post in that language and someone else with greater mastery of both languages could help translate the question.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:08:50 AM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)