Author Topic: WinXP Pro  (Read 845 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WinXP Pro
« on: October 27, 2001, 04:59:00 AM »
OK, in it went on a laptop... Hmmmm...

Haven't tested anything yet but whoever was saying Pro does not need activation was talking out of their arse - it does :( (OK, you can play with it for 30 days but after that you've gotta activate.

You can't put shortcuts on a taskbar either - oh jolly, back comes Office toolbar :(

Anyone else would like to share tips/grievances/likes?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2001, 06:21:00 AM »
"Allegedly" this used to work.

1. Disconnect from any network.
2. Start the install, but don't use dynamic update (which wants to connect, right?)
3. After installation and on first boot, don't set up your Internet connection when it asks. Click next or skip - the wizard will crash when you click next.
4. Click Start/Run and type:
regsrv32.exe -u regwizc.dll
Close the confirmation window that appears.
5. Start/run: regedit
6. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion change RegDone value to 1
7. Open up Internet Explorer. Open the Tools/Internet Properties and change your home page to something that isn't Microsoft or MSN.
8. Reboot and before windows starts up, plug your network connection back in.

Of course I am not suggesting you should try this.
But a little experiment before you finally load your working version of XP could be in order.
Just in the name of science you understand   :)

Normally i would credit the site where i found that but when i copied it (Months ago) i failed to take note.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: 214thCavalier ]

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2001, 09:40:00 AM »
They all need activation. It is an issue of how many machines you can put it into.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by -lynx-:
OK, in it went on a laptop... Hmmmm...

Haven't tested anything yet but whoever was saying Pro does not need activation was talking out of their arse - it does  :(

The Pro version on the shelves does. It's the Pro Corporate version that allegedly does not.

You can't put shortcuts on a taskbar either - oh jolly, back comes Office toolbar  :(

Eh? I can. Same as Windows 9x, but now the taskbar can be locked. Just unlock it if you want to customize it, then lock it back. Also, the Launch toolbar is disabled by default. Just enable it.

Anyone else would like to share tips/grievances/likes?

My only grievance?  Companies like Saitek who couldn't be bothered to prepare drivers/software for their HOTAS in time for the release of Windows XP. How long has the beta been available?    :mad:

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
OK, what's that "corporate" version? In the UK you can get 6 different XPs: Home/Pro in Version Upgrade, Full Version & OEM (no box, small manual and a sticker to allegedly put on a "only new PC". There's no corporate version amongst those.

I spoke to the activation line, asked about re-building a computer - the guy said "just call us, we'll give you another code". Which sounds daft cuz in this case what's stopping me from installing it on my desktop, activating, installing on a laptop calling them abgain and telling them that I put a new mobo in? This defeats the whole anti-piracy thing altogether...

Then the help file says that the same activation code will work on the same computer unlimited number of times - OK I think to myself, let's do it again, re-install - nada, not working.

214th - it's a good idea by the looks of things but it does nothing in real life cuz the blasted thing still wants activating :(

So far I think that either Billy is trying to scare a "casual" software pirate into buying his stuff for a change or morons of Microsoft believe that once you have got yourself a computer you're stuck with it for the rest of your life unless you're willing to fork out more casheroonies for another copy of XP...

The whole XPerience so far looked very sleek but left bad aftertaste in my mouth  :confused:

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by -lynx-:
OK, what's that "corporate" version? In the UK you can get 6 different XPs: Home/Pro in Version Upgrade, Full Version & OEM (no box, small manual and a sticker to allegedly put on a "only new PC". There's no corporate version amongst those.

Corporate versions are meant for corporations that buy multiple licenses. I have no idea what are the rules about their selling (i.e. the minimum of licenses you have to buy for example), but I'd be surprised if they're available to the general public.

At least officially.  ;)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
Looks like "corporate" version is a hacked distribution kit. "Built-in" registration hack. There is nothing about "corporate" version on Microsoft website.

Lynx, can you tell me what is the reason to upgrade to XP? Does it have any advantages over 2000Pro, other then bells and whistles (perdelki i pischalki)?

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Boroda-

I don't see why Microsoft could not put out a version intended for corporations- in fact, it seems very much in their interest to do so. To call it simply a hacked version of Pro seems a bit extreme.

There may not be anything on the MS site because it would take contact with MS to get a licensure, and the licensure would in all likelihood be negotiable. Further, corporate licensure is definitely NOT for the private or even small business user.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2001, 10:07:00 PM »
Knowing that you can transform even a Home edition into (once installed) an XP that thinks itself a Corporate Pro version by only replacing 8 files on the CD, "hacked distribution kit" is not so far off the mark.  ;)

The advantages over Win2k, apart from goodies: alleged increased stability, more ease of use (more so than WinME even) for mere mortals, integrated remote control à la PCAnywhere for getting tech support, emulation of Windows 9x-only programs, and at the same time the fact that XP is the new mainstream OS.

I grant you that Win2k users won't benefit hugely by upgrading. I think they will benefit anyway, since now manufacturers won't have any choice now but make drivers for 2000/XP.

But XP is a monster. Consider doubling your memory if you go from Win2k to XP. 512MB sounds right.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2001, 04:21:00 AM »
Reasons to upgrade? Hmmm... It's come out... Ummm... Somebody else has paid for it... Sounds good enough for me :).

Plus, of course, much better drivers support (it's recognised my GF2Go and installed appropriate driver), direct CD-RW support on a level when you "copy" files on a CD as you do with Windows Explorer and click on "make CD". It's supposed to be more "gamey" rather then "officey" as Win2K Pro is.

DrSoya keeps mentioning some 8 files - what are they? Can you e-mail them to me? Pretty please? ;)

As for corporate versions - Microsoft was going to do something about changing multi-licencing but it just impractical to get large companies to register every version. And that's where most of the "unlicenced software in home use" comes from anyway...

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
WinXP Pro
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
Lynx sez:

I spoke to the activation line, asked about re-building a computer - the guy said "just call us, we'll give you another code". Which sounds daft cuz in this case what's stopping me from installing it on my desktop, activating, installing on a laptop calling them abgain and telling them that I put a new mobo in? This defeats the whole anti-piracy thing altogether...

Uh, no it doesn't.  MS isn't looking to stop you from putting it on a couple of different machines at home.  They are trying to stop somebody from making 12 copies of the CD and giving them to all of his buddies.  Trying to stop the large-scale pirate operations from selling massive numbers of their pirated software, often in packaging that looks very much like the real thing.  The activation scheme has made it much more difficult to casually pirate their software on a large scale.  Yep, you can still do it, but it's more difficult, and there are more obstacles to doing it.  I think they have struck a very reasonable compromise between piracy control and ease of use for the valid customer personally.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
Well, my XP is proving to be a minor nightmare. I keep getting the winnt/system32/config/system file corrupted. I'm not the only one as well.

The funny thing is I think it may be an issue with Office XP, I'm not sure yet. Some sources on the net suggest bad memory, but other people with the same problem changed RAM and it still occured.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2001, 11:01:00 AM »
You poor poor souls   :)

I always wait til the first Service Pack is out, then dive in.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
WinXP Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
You're even more agressive than I am LePaul.  I usually wait until SP3 before taking the plunge into a new MS OS.
Although, I am finding it very difficult to move past 98se.  The lack of driver support for a lot of devices in XP is going to keep me away for some time.
Oh, does it have a DOS box?  If not, then it will never see its way to my hard drive.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WinXP Pro
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Ditto Skuzzy...I wait to one year after a new OS has been out (that's approx. SP3  ;)).

My 3 boxes have Win95, Win98se and WinME.  I'll probably use the Win95 box as a beta box next spring for XP.