Author Topic: Might be getting Player Arenas  (Read 1954 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Might be getting Player Arenas
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
From the latest patch notes :

This patch changes the host data architecture and structure. There should be no change to the exterior workings of the game. This change is part of the development of hosted user spawned arenas of limited capacity.

Anyone else notice this?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Might be getting Player Arenas
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
Old news.  :D

It's been mentioned in other posts.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »
From the latest patch notes :

This patch changes the host data architecture and structure. There should be no change to the exterior workings of the game. This change is part of the development of hosted user spawned arenas of limited capacity.

Anyone else notice this?

For paid subscribers.   The "freeloading" days are long gone.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »

same goes for this

Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:48:36 PM »

Yes, fortunately/unfortunately so (depending on who you ask).

I failed to notice, oops  :o
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:09:39 AM »
1.) So you have to be a paying subscriber before you can access this aspect of the game?

2.) If so, then is it controled by HTC except that a player manages it like the AvA Team sets up the AvA?

3.) Are these still going to be the the Teen Tard Napoleon complex mini universes the old free ones were?

4.) I got evicted from one of those because I was spanking the baby seal owner. I hurt his feelings.

5.) I discovered in another you had to be freinds with the owner to survive his personal mods.<----he did take out feilds with unlimited bombs.

6.) A third one I failed to gain permission to even be there in the first place and got evicted because I wasen't on the list.

7.) I got yelled at repeatedly in another one by the teeny bopper running it that I wasn't using proper communications protocol every few minutes. He had killshooter off so I killed him and left.

Tiny little universes run by tiny little minds was my impression with the last go around. Will HTC be watching these more closely this time? Or will these just be kiddy pools for the baby seals to hide out in and play sand box napoleon until they decide they have the stones to play in the mean O'l MA's? What will be the new requirements and if any, and the commitment to HTC to be allowed to start one of these up? Or are they just going to be mini arena's with WW2 hardware run like an xBox twitch shooter Universe?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:13:39 AM »
Well first off because they are being hosted by HTC, it makes it much easier for HTC to keep a semblance of control.

Second if someone boots you out of their arena without cause I'd send screenshot, film to support@hitechcreations.com

You might not see anything happen right away, but repeat offenders will eventually run afoul of skuzzy.

No one really knows the specifics yet, because we have not yet got our grubby little paws on it.
So we are all pretty much guessing.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:00:54 AM »
I would suspect it'll be the same as the old H2H, but hosted on the HTC systems so as not to include the server system in the client ala the old method.

As to being booted/whining about unfair play/etc. "My house, my rules." Besides the usual control over vulgarity, racism, etc, I think it ought to be left the way it was. If I'm host, I do as I like. If you don't want to deal with it, I'm not forcing you.
It was a riot to be able to create freak universes with crazy colors and wacky physics just to let off steam with my friends. Cutting off that ability to make others feel better would be rather irritating.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
It was a riot to be able to create freak universes with crazy colors and wacky physics just to let off steam with my friends. Cutting off that ability to make others feel better would be rather irritating.
That is probably not going to be possible. Strictly from a speculation point of view, since they will be hosted/controlled by HTC, it will probably be like the other arenas and allow you to upload arena tables, custom terrains and offline missions but changing the pysics won't be possible.
jarhed  

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:10:46 AM »
That is probably not going to be possible. Strictly from a speculation point of view, since they will be hosted/controlled by HTC, it will probably be like the other arenas and allow you to upload arena tables, custom terrains and offline missions but changing the pysics won't be possible.

"Changing the physics" involves changing the wind. So...

Tables will likely not be used from my point of view. Those are hosted server-side, and would likely cause quite a pileup of files that serve little or no use since you can save the arena settings locally as it is. A table is just a "save file" of the Arena Settings tab...so it'd be the same method as the old H2H arenas.

I also imagine terrains would be handled the same way as before; downloaded from the host's computer. Keep in mind that the biggest reason for shifting to HTC-hosted arenas is the control it gives them over what systems go into our clients, not neccesarily that it allows them to specifically moderate or control the arena setups. Not only would that be a support nightmare, but they could have done that in the old method if they wanted to.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:14:09 AM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:35:50 AM »
7.) I got yelled at repeatedly in another one by the teeny bopper running it that I wasn't using proper communications protocol every few minutes. He had killshooter off so I killed him and left.

:rofl :rofl :aok

I think I was at the same one, I also did the same thing.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »
Tables will likely not be used from my point of view. Those are hosted server-side, and would likely cause quite a pileup of files that serve little or no use since you can save the arena settings locally as it is. A table is just a "save file" of the Arena Settings tab...so it'd be the same method as the old H2H arenas.

I also imagine terrains would be handled the same way as before; downloaded from the host's computer. Keep in mind that the biggest reason for shifting to HTC-hosted arenas is the control it gives them over what systems go into our clients, not neccesarily that it allows them to specifically moderate or control the arena setups. Not only would that be a support nightmare, but they could have done that in the old method if they wanted to.
Uh, no. The arena tables are quite small, they control the arena settings and they must be uploaded to the arena in order to work properly, the local pc does not have control over the settings on the arena. Since the arenas will be HTC hosted, they will have to be uploaded, not like the old H2H arenas where a players computer was the arena. As for the terrains they are client/server files so both the arena and the player pc needs to have the terrain loaded.
jarhed  

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
1.) So you have to be a paying subscriber before you can access this aspect of the game?

2.) If so, then is it controled by HTC except that a player manages it like the AvA Team sets up the AvA?

3.) Are these still going to be the the Teen Tard Napoleon complex mini universes the old free ones were?

4.) I got evicted from one of those because I was spanking the baby seal owner. I hurt his feelings.

5.) I discovered in another you had to be freinds with the owner to survive his personal mods.<----he did take out feilds with unlimited bombs.

6.) A third one I failed to gain permission to even be there in the first place and got evicted because I wasen't on the list.

Tiny little universes run by tiny little minds was my impression with the last go around. Will HTC be watching these more closely this time? Or will these just be kiddy pools for the baby seals to hide out in and play sand box napoleon until they decide they have the stones to play in the mean O'l MA's? What will be the new requirements and if any, and the commitment to HTC to be allowed to start one of these up? Or are they just going to be mini arena's with WW2 hardware run like an xBox twitch shooter Universe?

I will more than likely host a room.... and bustr will be invited. :D  I hosted different rooms at different times.... FFA and TEAM. I did not have odball settings.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 12:36:43 PM »
This doesnt mean we are gonna start taking long walks in the moon light does it....... :confused:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 01:17:44 PM »
This doesnt mean we are gonna start taking long walks in the moon light does it....... :confused:

Not unless I can wear a clothes pin on my nose  :neener:

On another note I heard the pigs are missing a few of their numbers. I'm not sure where they went but I did notice Rath bacon is on sale.  :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:19:25 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)