Author Topic: Function addition demand of automatic pursuit flight  (Read 881 times)

Offline NekoNabe

• Zinc Member
Function addition demand of automatic pursuit flight
« on: October 27, 2010, 03:19:23 AM »
Besides I claim to be NekoNabe which moved from FighterAces at the all of you beginning.

There was a function to call "pursuit" to fly automatically while keeping a fixed allied army's plane and distance in FighterAce.
It may increase damage to a base and the town if I introduce a function to call "pursuit" into a bomber of AcesHigh by bombing it while some formation cooperates and.
I think that the figure flying becomes cooler.

This sentence translates a Japanese sentence into English sentence with translation software.
It may be the sentence that it is hard to read, but please understand it.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Function addition demand of automatic pursuit flight
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 03:26:12 AM »
Translation:

Automatic wing man formation with another player?

You fly formation, same speed and distance, with another player's plane without having to actually do the flying?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 04:17:34 AM »
Translation:

Automatic wing man formation with another player?

You fly formation, same speed and distance, with another player's plane without having to actually do the flying?

wrongway

That is my understanding, but with friendly bombers only. I see it as having a lead element, and having your bomber's pilot fly the plane making the minor adjustments that otherwise can't be made while in the bombsight.

Would also make formation flying easier for those who aren't very good. Sometimes when I fly as a wingman, it takes me awhile to get the heading down pat to feel comfortable putting the aircraft into auto-pilot, as the slightest variation in heading and you'll be drifting away and out of formation if in auto-pilot.

I would say no, but that is only my opinion.

^hopeful that will be easy to translate
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:25:58 AM »
I think HTC may have already done some work on stuff like this (except with AI planes following other AI planes) for the Combat Tour and Offline Mission.  I'm going to say +1 on this, since it would make long distance flights far more tolerable.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
In my opinion, I say no.  You get to fly a 3-ship formation right now.  If you want to link up with other friendly bombers, then practice and communicate.  It isn't hard to do.

"Well what about those long boring flights up to 30k and flying 20 sectors to the target where I want smart auto-formation so I can alt-tab and surf the 'net instead..."  To that I say "then don't fly bombers".
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »
Konichiwa NekoNabe,

First of all welcome to Aces High.   :aok

I know of this feature and it was useful for say a C47 to go afk and follow a squaddie in Lancs.  But you do have 3 different types of Auto pilot in AH.

X is auto level indicated by a yellow light,
Alt X is best rate of climb a red light,
And shift X can set a climb you prefer indicated by a green light.

I think the general consensus in AH is that because you get 3 lives in a bomber and they already fly in formation with your lead plane you already have a similar thing.  It will aid lazy squaddies is the only benefit i can see.

PS:  Did Stelux come over and play AH too?   Where is he?  Tell him Bruv would like to know  ^^
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
GREAT POINT!  On those long high alt missions when 8 guys are trying to keep together while also going afk every 4 dam minutes.......  This would totally help the flight lead keep the group together.  +1

I'm going to say +1 on this, since it would make long distance flights far more tolerable.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
I've been asking for a feature like this for years but I always get bashed for it.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »
Why don't you just ask to be spawnd at 25k 10 miles from the IP?

Why not reduce the game to air spawns like all of the old boxed first person flight sims. Instant action was what most called it. With all of the auto flight functions in the game you still want to be releived of the responsibility of flying your bombers until the last few minutes so all you have to do is drop the bombs? Didn't those boxed games have time and distance speed ups to get you through way points in a hurry? Yeah....as soon as you are attacked just hit the way point key and you dissapere......

Suppose you want HiTech to code it so that you don't have to drive your dumptrucks all the way home to get your points either? Just a bomb run finished spawn to home key. Want some perked smart bombs with that too......Maybe your Icon changes when you go to the bathroom to <AFK-Potty> and your bombers become unkillable untill you get back.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »

Why not reduce the game to air spawns like all of the old boxed first person flight sims. Instant action was what most called it. With all of the auto flight functions in the game you still want to be releived of the responsibility of flying your bombers until the last few minutes so all you have to do is drop the bombs? Didn't those boxed games have time and distance speed ups to get you through way points in a hurry? Yeah....as soon as you are attacked just hit the way point key and you dissapere......

Suppose you want HiTech to code it so that you don't have to drive your dumptrucks all the way home to get your points either? Just a bomb run finished spawn to home key. Want some perked smart bombs with that too......Maybe your Icon changes when you go to the bathroom to <AFK-Potty> and your bombers become unkillable untill you get back.

Adding a formation autopilot would be nothing like that.  With this autopilot, your plane would fly the same distance in the same amount of time as it would without this autopilot.  The only differences would be:
a) Your planes' formation would be nice and tight.
b) You wouldn't have to babysit your plane every mile of the way there.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »

Bustr chill out. I'm not after some automatic easy mode for bombers.

I requested the ability to set an autopilot heading so players flying with me could match the same heading. IE type in .heading 180 and the auto pilot holds a 180 degree heading. This would allow players in formation with me to maintain course BUT they still have to watch their speed, main their own guns, and drop their bombs. Also if I adjust course they have to manually adjust as well.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »
Adding a formation autopilot would be nothing like that.  With this autopilot, your plane would fly the same distance in the same amount of time as it would without this autopilot.  The only differences would be:
a) Your planes' formation would be nice and tight.
b) You wouldn't have to babysit your plane every mile of the way there.

a) Practice
b) Don't fly bombers

I requested the ability to set an autopilot heading so players flying with me could match the same heading. IE type in .heading 180 and the auto pilot holds a 180 degree heading. This would allow players in formation with me to maintain course BUT they still have to watch their speed, main their own guns, and drop their bombs. Also if I adjust course they have to manually adjust as well.

We already have this.  Look at your compass and/or learn to read it to get your plane on the right heading - set any one of the three autopilots - done.
My Current Rig:

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »
I have a book somewhere written by a B-17 copilot.  He describes the stress and exertion it took to fly formation and keep tight.  He and the pilot switched off flying every 15 minutes IIRC.

Want realism?

I'll look for a quote when I get home.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »
I have a book somewhere written by a B-17 copilot.  He describes the stress and exertion it took to fly formation and keep tight.  He and the pilot switched off flying every 15 minutes IIRC.

Want realism?

I'll look for a quote when I get home.

wrongway

Really? So just flying in formation taxed the pilot so much that they had to swtich. And by you just saying that, that means we really need some sort of formation fuction.

Why?

Because as a buff pilot I'm doing the jobs of the pilot, copilot, navigator, bombardier, radio man, engineer, nose gunner, ball gunner, left waist gunner, right waist gunner, tail gunner, and I'm doing this for THREE planes. 

I'm doing the jobs of 30 men and your whining saying that some sort of simple formation command or mode would make the job easy mode.

Bombing alone is not that hard I'll admit, but trying to lead a buff formation in the SEA or MA can be rather difficult and if you've never done it you have no real room to speak. Some people have a hard time maintaining formation and trying to keep your place while gunning can be rather difficult.

This argument is like the B29 request, you people make it out to be the end of the world but in reality it wouldn't affect game-play at all. How many times do you see formations of buffs flying together in the MA on an average basis? This request ONLY affects people flying together in a large formation, it would NOT affect single formations of bombers which I'd guess to say is what you run into 80% of the time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:43:10 PM by Beefcake »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »
Because as a buff pilot I'm doing the jobs of the pilot, copilot, navigator, bombardier, radio man, engineer, nose gunner, ball gunner, left waist gunner, right waist gunner, tail gunner, and I'm doing this for THREE planes. 

Not to pick nits here, but you're only doing it for ONE plane - the other two are on a tether and you don't control them; they just do what you do.  I still say this wish is not necessary.  If you want to play a flying game, then by all means fly in that flying game.
My Current Rig: