Author Topic: Late War Arena Caps  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Late War Arena Caps
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »
I think we all have learned in the past 4 years that it doesn't need 500 players in a single arena to have "hordes only"... 25-22-8 with both big countries pounding on the small one ("quick! grab bases before people come in to defend!") ;)

Good call....I have been one of the 8 and the guys I flew with were not from Thermopylae.  All the while 16 of my buddies were in an arena that I was "LOCKED OUT OF" (with indifference to IMADOT) having a great time hording someone else.

Changeup
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:31:03 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
"LOCKED OUT OF" (with indifference to IMADOT)

:D

:salute
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
I think we all have learned in the past 4 years that it doesn't need 500 players in a single arena to have "hordes only"... 25-22-8 with both big countries pounding on the small one ("quick! grab bases before people come in to defend!") ;)

I totally agree!

However, I've seen people complain about hordes on 200 when the sides are pretty much even...
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
I totally agree!

However, I've seen people complain about hordes on 200 when the sides are pretty much even...

Hordes can appear under almost any condition.

Even with balanced sides, you have nights where B horde K, K horde R and R horde B. That's something that just happens, and none of the current mechanisms can prevent that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 05:16:13 PM »
i never get "locked out" of the AVA or the Midwar! maybe you guys should try it some time?

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
HT, I think they want you to drop Caps for Euro times.
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »

The problem with that is that you run into an even bigger imbalance later on. Then it's like 200 / 20  (though for a shorter time possibly)

My proposal would be simply to drop the CAPS on weekdays. I had presented the numbers a few times now: Currently both LW arenas combined rarely reach & surpass the max number of players in the biggest arena after the split. Only on weekends we still do have strong numbers, I could live with having the caps on Saturday & Sunday.

I think having a peak 400-450 players for 2 hours is not such a huge problem as looking at locked 100/40 for four hours. And they would be still 2 separate LW arenas, everyone would have the choice to join the second one if 300-400 players is to much on a large map for him.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:58:52 PM by Lusche »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »
With all due respect, it happens nightly...you can't fly with squadmates that are locked in one arena that you have no hope of getting into for about 2 hours.
All you have to do is ask your squadmates to stop having fun and leave the good fight they have to found and come on over to the arena where nothing is happening. You're so selfish dude. :frown:

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »

But what if you did start caps later, or start caps larger, like 200? 

Would a later start time and greater imbalance as U.S. prime time began force people into the open arena as there is no other choice and fill the smaller arena faster or would people do as they do now and not even bother?

Just a thought.

If everyone went into the arena "with no one in it" who could not get into the full arena there would actually be someone to fight.

I have no problem with the caps.  I usually don't bother with the full arena but if I'm determined to get in it usually doesn't take more than five of six minutes of trying.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
I have seen where the arena was full for a very short time. They always become available in short order in my experiences.

I'll have to put the locked out for hours in my bag of never seen items till I see it....... let's see, it is beside the lochness monster and bigfoot. :D

I'll keep an eye out and let you know when I see the arena locked for hours. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 09:51:37 AM »
If everyone went into the arena "with no one in it" who could not get into the full arena there would actually be someone to fight.

We could say "if player numbers wouldn't drop" the same way ;)

We don't even know if players go away/play less because if caps or of any other reason or a combination. We can only see: the caps triggers & times are the same now as they had been years ago with almost double the players at euro evenings. And thats why  they do not work anymore like they used to do.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 09:53:25 AM »
I think if they gave out gowns with the caps then folks would accept it more.

..... maybe throw in a rolled up paper with a string around it.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
Nothing is going to happen with the cap situation because the vast majority of players complaining about them are still forking over the $15 a month.  The cap was put in place because HTC saw a better retention of new subscribers with the cap.   If the number of existing players leaving the game outnumbered the new players joining the game they would be forced to think of a new idea QUICKLY.  Im not saying to end your subscription but from a business owners point of view HTC really has to motivation to change as the caps are doing exactly what they were intended to do.
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
All you have to do is ask your squadmates to stop having fun and leave the good fight they have to found and come on over to the arena where nothing is happening. You're so selfish dude. :frown:

Truth-saying will get you whipped here Slash. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »

They may be bored with no fight. You could try to find a fight in the other arena and alert them to it.

Just because a arena has numbers does not mean the other arena will not have a better fight going on. I think too many folks just assume that is true.

If you go into the other arena it also changes the numbers and they may shift. Then when you drop out of that arena you may find the primary arena you wanted into has slots.
80th FS "Headhunters"