Author Topic: Free-Play for the WWI Arena  (Read 2235 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Re: Free-Play for the WWI Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
The only problem I see, is that some people will gladly accept the limitations in order to never have to pay.  The question becomes, will they get more to sign up for paid accounts, or will they end up having a mass of players who just never end up paying at all?

What you see is not a problem at all! It doesnt matter if they never pay, it's a dead arena anyhow. And anyone who seriously wants to play there and willing to pay for it WON'T stay a customer if that arena doesnt attract more players.

Hitech will be wise to implement this because it's a fantastic idea.

Free players are great publicity and in all likelyhood they will pay at some point. Maybe they cant afford it and only pay for a month or so at a time when they can. Some people dont live in countries where 15 bucks is pocket change like in the US. IL-2 has THOUSANDS if not hundreds of thousands of free players for this same reason! It shouldnt matter if a thousand guys play the WW1 arena and don't pay. Its all free publicity, and it attracts paying customers to a well populated game.

And I propose they take this idea further. Indefinite free accounts should be available with access to certain aspects of the game. Like gunning from any air or ground manable guns. This gives people access and experience in the game that 2 weeks is completely inadequate for. Plus it gives paying players more freedom to do other tasks. Bomber dudes wont need to look hard to find someone to gun for them and will likely end up with a group of highly skilled gunners. Also likely, all manable cv guns would be occupied while engaging enemy ships and bases instead of the often single 8inch turret trying to defend a cv. Free players should also be allowed to operate vehicles or aircraft to deliver sups to players or bases. Anything that doesnt compromise the profitability of the game and adds to the experience should be open to free accounts. Which is exactly what the things suggestions do. They are not things that draw the paying customers.

guys give it up, guys that play this game dont really care to go there (and that sucks)  what makes you think that some noobs are gonna log a ww1 arena just because it is free.

semp

Again with the negative waves semp?

Hitech used to have free 8 player. It was more popular than the WW1 arena is now. So I think you are wrong again. I think there are plenty of people willing to play if it's free.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:08:28 PM by muzik »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 12:01:02 AM »
I fly Camels when I'm in the WWI arena.  Does that mean everyone's going to be attacking me?

BTW, I think HT should have a tiered subscriptions system.  Say $5/mo. for only WWI, $10/mo for WWI, EW and MW and $15/mo. for everything or something similar.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:03:50 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 12:36:27 AM »
+1, cool idea     :aok
-AoM-

Offline cooldued

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »
 if this dose work it will be me in the WW1 arena. but im going to kidnap the noobs, and add them to a fake squad. quick fallow me to all those enemy
 Dr.1's and D.VII's.
Planes I'm good in the Bf-109 G14, the B-25C, and the B-17G not many but its nice for me to know :P

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 03:15:21 AM »
+1  :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok  :x  :banana:

Paying Cutomer:  :airplane:
Free Player w/less experience:  :joystick:
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
good idea,but we should expand the ww1 arena,to give a better first impression.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 03:05:39 PM »
suggestions do. They are not things that draw the paying customers.

Again with the negative waves semp?

(Image removed from quote.)

I feel violated.  You'll be hearing from my attorney.   :old:

Hitech used to have free 8 player. It was more popular than the WW1 arena is now. So I think you are wrong again. I think there are plenty of people willing to play if it's free.

And how many moved from 8 player to paying customer while it was free?  After?

The argument seems to be, "give it to them free and they will start paying."  Why?  It's free.

What incentive does a business, that already offers a limited, free trial to play, have to give something away in perpetuity?

wrongway

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »
The argument seems to be, "give it to them free and they will start paying."  Why?  It's free.

What incentive does a business, that already offers a limited, free trial to play, have to give something away in perpetuity?

I get the feeling you either did not read this thread fully, or I didn’t explain myself clearly.  Assuming the latter, I will make another attempt.

There are many, many, many companies that have chosen the alternative approach of providing a limited version that is not time-limited but instead feature limited.  Additional capabilities can be unlocked by becoming a paying customer.

I could sit and make you a list but just to pick one off the top of my head that you may be familiar with: “FRAPS”.  It is free to use and does not stop working after 2 weeks.  Instead the length of recordings are limited, and a watermark is applied.  But you can use it forever, free, if you are OK with being limited to those constraints.  The version of AVG virus software I use to use was free to download and use, and did not stop working after a trial period.  Instead, you bought it to get access to continued updates of the virus database.  I could go on ad infinitum.

It’s an approach that has many advantages.  Consider the following points:

1.    There is a certain impedance to convincing someone to download a 200mb client, get it configured, figure out the basics of playing, only to have it yanked out from underneath them before they’ve even had time to decide if they liked it or not.  I see a short trial period like that I wonder if it’s even worth the hassle.

2.   A lot of stuff can happen during those 2 weeks.  Life can interfere and keep me from giving it a full evaluation.  Unless you are willing to grovel and beg HTC for an extension, you are screwed.  Most people will simple shrug and move on.  Lost sale.

3.   Someone does their free trial on version 1.0.  A month later, HTC releases version 2.0 and it’s a lot better.  Or so people say.  Generally HTC does not renew trial periods so many people will not go back and check it out again except for screenshots and such, or tooling around in the empty offline mode.  Probably another lost sale.

4.   I suspect many players of the H2H were wee little squeakers who couldn’t pay for play if they wanted to.  But the H2H ignited their interest in flight Sims and familiarized them with HTC as the premier supplier of online flight sim experiences.  Someday those squeakers will grow up and have jobs.  Does some limited free play help plant the seeds today for customers tomorrow?

5.   By keeping the period unlimited, but slowly reducing the available features, you keep them in contact with the game longer.  They may start having their features limited more over time, but what you are doing is extending that decision window they have to choose to go pay or not.  This keeps him engaged longer.  This keeps him applying the patches longer.  That gives him longer to form relationships with paying customers and squads.  That makes it easier for him to decide to pull the trigger at anytime.  Instead of giving the potential customer an ultimatum, you are working in the thin end of a wedge.  Slowly applying pressure, instead of calling all-or-nothing.

6.   As I said “Free” get a lot of attention.  A subset of permanent Free-Play will get HTC more exposure to the gaming community than their 2-week only trial IMHO.  More exposure means more opportunities to make a sale.  It’s the law of big numbers.

7.   Even if a Free-Player never converts to pay, HTC would have the ability to slowly adjust the features available to them until they are actually providing more benefit to the arena than they are costing HTC.  That’s a good thing for HTC’s paying customers.  IF they are willing, they can do the grunt work, fly the planes no one else will, man the acks, fly the supply goons, etc.

8.   The features available can be balanced differently in different arenas.  This can “highly” encourage the Free-Play to go provide content in the lesser used boutique arenas like WWI and EW.  Maybe they get a wider selection of features when they play there.  That makes it a more valuable product for their paying customers that want to enjoy those venues. 

9.   Free-Players can get shuffled around to give support to sides that have low numbers.

10.   When an arena cap goes into effect, Free-Players can be plucked out and re-assigned to the newly opened arena to get it seeded quicker.

11.   Etc.etc. etc.  The possibilities are only limited by HTC’s imagination. 

I think it’s a more flexible, more powerful approach. It gives HTC more opportunities to carefully reel in those reluctant fish instead of just yanking the pole hard at the end of week two.  And for those that can’t or won’t convert to pay, they can slowly be transitioned from a cost to a benefit or at least a break-even.

In my opinion, the 2 week trial approach is as archaic and outmoded a model as pay-per-hour was when HTC abandoned it.  I think its time for HTC to think outside the box again.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 09:55:46 PM »

I get the feeling you either did not read this thread fully, or I didn’t explain myself clearly.  Assuming the latter, I will make another attempt.

Fantastic job Wab. I think you nailed every point on the head. Unfortunately I think you will need a billy club.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod