Author Topic: New Town Capture....  (Read 4773 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: New Town Capture....
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
Grizz,

I think that you get it so, this is only to address your comment to Animal.  All of your previous posts on this matter seem to be on point in my opinion.  There would be many that would argue over your last comment  :headscratch: ignoring his point that a "new" style of play involving more bases, and more localized fights has resulted from the current change in base capture difficulty.  
To paraphrase this, a small group of players is more likely to branch away from the horde and target a new base with the knowledge that they stand a chance of achieving some cartoon glory.  These small groups now prompt a higher level of defensive action than before because they now pose more of an actual threat.  

So just simply being as easy for one side as the other does not equate.  It is the side that is best suited to adjust and mobilize according to the changing intelligence about viable targets and vulnerable assets, that will achieve the most success.

HiTech has shown another sign of brilliance with setting the bar at a place where a proper comparison can be made.  HiTech, and maybe even Lusche, can look at a variety of data of before and after and make an informed decision on whether or not the change has moved the game towards a more enjoyable environment.  The 50% setting, could just be a benchmark, and maybe it's too low or maybe it's just about right.  Having said that, I believe if they had started with just giving us the flag without addressing the time and difficulty it takes to find and destroy every single object, you may have seen some improvement along the desired lines, but most of us would be smacking our foreheads and believing that HTC just didn't understand.

This might be one of those things like overclocking your graphics card.  You adjust and test, adjust and test, and at some point you reach a reasonable value that achieves your goals without breaking the device in the process.  Please don't break it HTC. I think the crowd is starting to warm up

Oh i completely agree.  It was a tongue in cheek comment to show that the statement holds no merit.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:39:46 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Crythos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
Make the percentage needed for capture variable based on ENY.

:bolt:

Hehe, that idea actually might be good
"Tojo"

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
Make the percentage needed for capture variable based on ENY.

:bolt:

This may, indeed, be the sort of brilliance that will make this work.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »
This may, indeed, be the sort of brilliance that will make this work.

The issue is that ENY can fluctuate pretty quickly, which I've often found slightly silly.  This could in turn lead to that little white flag going up and down the pole randomly.  My proposal to fix this would be no eny for 15 to 30 minutes after the arena opens while the numbers sort themselves out, and then maybe ENY that gets updated every 10 minutes or so instead of each time someone enters or exits the arena.  Also just locking the percentage needed at the time the flag goes down initially and not changing until a building pops would work also.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »
not sure if its been mentioned but....
i reckon that if the number 50% is variable.. say 50% to 80% then no set piece (ie bombers down center line) will ensure town down
you need a spotter
variety is the spice of life
never know exactly what's needed but you know its coming..
need to keep contact with target
keep us on our toes
good angle though HT
<<S>> Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2010, 12:52:16 AM »
killing 100% of town would be great now that we got the flag to let us know 1 single building thats hiding dont cost ya the flag its self is a big help
G3-MF

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2010, 05:02:58 AM »
It is going on its third day, and no one has shown any reason why anything HAS to be changed or tweaked at all.   :neener:

Oh, I am sure there is some  :noid master plan to find a glitch or weak point and exploit it.  Just like the uncapturable port with resupply, remember that.  But, I say let it run just as is, as long as the map reset function is working properly just in case.

I haven't seen this much activity in a long time.  When I say activity, I mean when I log in I can find a fight.  Previously, we have had to go to where the fight was, now just buzz any enemy field and someone will come out to great you.   :cheers:

Go and start messing with the percentages too soon, the whole enthusiasm for a new system might cave.  Give me PROOF of one solid reason why town buildings should be greater than 50% destroyed before town is ready to be captured. 

Examples of guys rolling 4 or 5 bases don't count, because as far as I am concerned, the bases captured lead to the war being won faster, more / less territory to protect, strategic location advantages / disadvantages, so forth and so on.  But I don't see where it in any way limits the options of the players in what roles they want to play.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2010, 05:19:33 AM »
It is going on its third day, and no one has shown any reason why anything HAS to be changed or tweaked at all.   :neener:

Oh, I am sure there is some  :noid master plan to find a glitch or weak point and exploit it.  Just like the uncapturable port with resupply, remember that.  But, I say let it run just as is, as long as the map reset function is working properly just in case.

I haven't seen this much activity in a long time.  When I say activity, I mean when I log in I can find a fight.  Previously, we have had to go to where the fight was, now just buzz any enemy field and someone will come out to great you.   :cheers:

Go and start messing with the percentages too soon, the whole enthusiasm for a new system might cave.  Give me PROOF of one solid reason why town buildings should be greater than 50% destroyed before town is ready to be captured. 

Examples of guys rolling 4 or 5 bases don't count, because as far as I am concerned, the bases captured lead to the war being won faster, more / less territory to protect, strategic location advantages / disadvantages, so forth and so on.  But I don't see where it in any way limits the options of the players in what roles they want to play.

Proof?  Everything about this sim/game is an opinion.  The only real opinion that counts is HT's.   :D

My earlier vote stands: raise the town to %60-65 for the next level.  It is too easy to make the town ready, the outlaying buildings have far less meaning now.  bring their important back into the game.  Currently, a bomber can go from the 11 O'clock to the 5 O'clock position and make the town ready.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:59 AM »
I am curious to here what other people think about the new town capture mechanism.

At first glance I love it!

Strip

Haven't played yet. Grrr'

:furious
[In-Game: Amaazee]
Road to Rangoon 2011
Überprüfung Sechs

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
To be blunt, most town captures are made significantly harder by the fellas trying to capture the field.  Let's face it...  The portion of the community that wants absolutely nothing to do with self-improvement or rational thought winds up in the base capture group.  That can't help when you're trying to do something which admittedly can be difficult at times.

(NOT saying that ALL base capture guys are like this...  Just that, by default, you "receive" the portion that is).
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
Not very many guys complaining about the new settings.

I'd say that HT made some great decisions and the "problem" has been fixed.

As for those who are still complaining I would reiterate a word I've heard many times on these boards, "adapt".
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »
There is almost as many captures in the text buffer as there are folks communicating. lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »
There is almost as many captures in the text buffer as there are folks communicating. lol
The new cap system created a whole new kind of horde. That can be a good thing  :devil
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
The result of poor planning is a wasted trip.
Even the best planning can be subverted by a score dweeb running around at 30k bombing town centers all over the place.  For the enjoyment of one, the rest of the side suffers.  Little else in the game has such a large effect. 

Something like this happened after a map reset.  The NIT CV stated it's life just off the bish strats.  The cv was turned towards the strats, and the shelling began.  One dweeb took off in an SBD to send his one bomb on the city, presumably for bomber points.  As soon as he lifted, the strats started flashing, and within a few minutes the CV was gone to bombers.  Had this guy not upped, the damaged strats could have helped ALL the nits, not just him. 

Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
Something like this happened after a map reset.  The NIT CV stated it's life just off the bish strats.  The cv was turned towards the strats, and the shelling began.  One dweeb took off in an SBD to send his one bomb on the city, presumably for bomber points.  As soon as he lifted, the strats started flashing, and within a few minutes the CV was gone to bombers.  Had this guy not upped, the damaged strats could have helped ALL the nits, not just him. 

Maybe he just wanted to fly blow something up, instead of sitting in the guns for most "effectiveness"? Particularly as this was just more or less exploiting a game bug. 
My bet is he even didn't think about points & score, because if he did, he surely would not have taken a TBM to the best defended target in game.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman