Author Topic: New Town Capture....  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: New Town Capture....
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »

Maybe he just wanted to fly blow something up, instead of sitting in the guns for most "effectiveness"? Particularly as this was just more or less exploiting a game bug. 
My bet is he even didn't think about points & score, because if he did, he surely would not have taken a TBM to the best defended target in game.

A bug????  I didn't know that driving CV's covertly to a base was a bug.  Sure, it was fortuitous that it started there, but it's certainly NOT a bug by any stretch. 

With so many bases to choose from after a reset, why else would he choose to trip the alarm there? 

You are good folk Lusche, I am somewhat surprised you believe was a bug.  It's not like we were hiding the CV inside a mountain or anything.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
A bug????  I didn't know that driving CV's covertly to a base was a bug.  Sure, it was fortuitous that it started there, but it's certainly NOT a bug by any stretch. 

Ah, I confused that with a different occasion: Not long ago there was a map bug that caused all CVs starting deep inside enemy territory. My bad.

But the rest of my statement still stands. He obviously did it not for score. And don't forget: At any given time, the majority of players a re quite new to the game. I did take off myself from CV's without knowing of the "consequences" when I was new.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »
Proof?  Everything about this sim/game is an opinion.  The only real opinion that counts is HT's.   :D

My earlier vote stands: raise the town to %60-65 for the next level.  It is too easy to make the town ready, the outlaying buildings have far less meaning now.  bring their important back into the game.  Currently, a bomber can go from the 11 O'clock to the 5 O'clock position and make the town ready.

And I stand by mine.  :aok  Having the town ready, and having the town captured are two separate things.  Again, I have to point towards the FUN meter and say, that sitting in a M3 or C47  :noid waiting for someone to locate the object(s)  :headscratch: keeping the town from being ready, is WAY up there on my list of things to do (NOT)!!   :mad:

I have to admit that I have seen the white flag over almost every town that I have flown over that was under attack.  Still, I have only been in on one successful capture.  On that capture, there were ground vehicles defending the field, some on their way to the town.  Also, a mixture of iL2, La7, and Spitfire 16 on the hunt for the troop carrier.  The troops barely made it into the maproom after two unsuccessful strafe runs made by the defenders.

Yes, HTC probably makes decisions based on data, and not which way the wind is blowing on any particular day.  :salute  That is why facts are important when you want to argue about decisions that will affect more than just yourself.  Thank you Lusche and others for helping to get the facts straight. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2010, 06:41:16 AM »
At first glance, I wait for a few glances more before forming an opinion ;)

And so I did.

After watching it for a few days now, and also reading the opinions & observations of other players here, I do think the percentage should be raised.
IMHO, town capturing is now easier than before the "old", small towns. What I had not taken into account at first was the fact that while it's about the same number of buildings that have to be destroyed as with the old, small towns, the additional buildings give the attacker a comfortable reserve that the defender has not. So when the horde is hovering over the town and the flag goes white, they can call for goons without much fear about some buildings will pop. They can slowly continue to kill buildings, so that any houses suddenly popping up won't matter at all. And this doesn't need much effort, planning or coordination.
So once you had 45 mins to kill ~50 buildings and bring in troops, you now have much longer for about the same number of buildings. On top of that, the flag is a very convenient indicator (even with the old towns, you could sometimes miss a building still being up)

80% would be my personal suggestion. I think we still would have a much more dynamic gameplay than with the former 100% rule.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2010, 06:59:10 AM »
Jeeez, if it was up to some guys, they would "fix" this game to death.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2010, 02:10:34 PM »
The white flag is not always a sure thing. I have dropped troops at 2 town maprooms with a white flag and the troops did not take.  After action assumption being there was an ack up somewhere. If you don't have any planes to test for live acks you get to roll find it from the ground, which is sometimes deadly.  But with the flag indicator for the buildings, the threshold on the number of buildings to me doesn't matter it it's 50 or 100%.  Now if they make the flag droop furled against the flagpole to indicate you can get a successful capture instead of white and unfurled, that would be great, but also way to easy too.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
The white flag is not always a sure thing. I have dropped troops at 2 town maprooms with a white flag and the troops did not take.  After action assumption being there was an ack up somewhere. If you don't have any planes to test for live acks you get to roll find it from the ground, which is sometimes deadly.  But with the flag indicator for the buildings, the threshold on the number of buildings to me doesn't matter it it's 50 or 100%.  Now if they make the flag droop furled against the flagpole to indicate you can get a successful capture instead of white and unfurled, that would be great, but also way to easy too.
were the towns close to base? If so, then the base ack killed them.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »
The white flag is not always a sure thing. I have dropped troops at 2 town maprooms with a white flag and the troops did not take. 

There could have been someone in or near the maproom, killing one or more troopers with his .45

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »
Lusche 80%  :rolleyes:

Might as well take the flag down and put up a  big fat sign saying STAY OUT!!

Right now, go look at the map..... take a picture.  When was the last time that you saw that many dots spread over that large of an area?   The added threat of towns being captured by smaller numbers, has spawned a defensive mechanism that has more players engaged in a wider range or roles than ever before.

:cheers:

Why should we care to make it anything other than fun?  :x  I have been in on some pretty well organized base captures lately.  Thank you DakONe and Wasp3 (and 5 or 6 others who worked HARD to accomplish a coordinated task).

Such planning and coordination SHOULD reap rewards.  The days of the  :noid single  :airplane: racing to town to strafe the last troop headed to the maproom may be OVER.  I say GOOD RIDDANCE.

I will even go further, and say the challenge in town captures in the past was not simply finding all the buildings.  The challenge in the past was to convince players it was worthwhile to bring troop carriers. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
Lusche 80%  :rolleyes:

Might as well take the flag down and put up a  big fat sign saying STAY OUT!!

You are exaggerating  big time. How about actually looking at my arguments?

Why should we care to make it anything other than fun?

In the end, this is all I care about. But fun requires some sort of balance.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
Okay, Lusche, if I have your argument correctly, you think the percentage of buildings stay down longer.  The attackers are not as worried about the town being out of sequence.

I say that is freaking fantastic. 

And about my exaggerated sign, "STAY OUT" may only apply to those who now are willing to bring troop carriers. 

It is no secret, on how to take a base, even with the old system.  It required number of dedicated countrymen (cough large squad) a combination of stealth (NOE) and precision (tool shedding - which I love) along with an accurate ticker (clock counting down before a single ack ack pops).  And OH YES, at least one troop carrier confident enough to be on standby when the "ready" was given.

What do the defenders have to do???  Spam the country channel, "Alert (base #) mission in bound".

Now, let's talk about balance Lusche.   :salute  I do value your opinion sir, and respectfully have my own.  I want to see numbers, instead of assumptions. 

It has been less than one week, with the new settings and I have been trying to figure into my budget how to pull off a six months subscription around the holidays, because that is how much I appreciate how things have been going in the last few days.

I am all with you brother and HTC, when they decide to tweak percentages, but only if there is a real benefit to the success of the game (and yes, in that I mean popularity).  Giving individual players the ability to participate in a country wide goal of acquiring territory and winning a war, is far more important in my opinion than someone's assumption that base capture should fit some formula of balance.  Who knows?  When the numbers are actually crunched and revealed it may be something like 50% town is a bad formula, 51% town is a good formula, and 52% town is a bad formula.  That is the way the curve works isn't it?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Having gone from any 2 week squeeker in 2002 could take bases by himself, to it requiring an act of God to coordinate the hoard from heck just to take a Vbase in 2010, I like what HiTech has done to base captures. It may be back to sneeky old players capturing Vbases alone during TT and airfeild captures resembling the KeyStone Cops on Steroids. But, Chilli hit it on the head.

It's back to being FUN.

Some of you guys would sink the Titanic on purpose just to have something to complain about.

Lucsh we all bow to your mastery of charts and the incredable work in helping HiTech make a major change in the game for the betterment of everyone. Now let it go and stop running for Imperial AH Arbitor of all that is Holy in the game. You succeded too well. Now everyone is having fun again. What a catastrophy. Maybe we should start calling you the "Grinch who wants to steal AH".

Let them have fun. The game was getting pretty grim here for some time.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2010, 07:13:07 PM »
Cool.

I agree with a few people that the dynamics are back in the game, and I do agree with a lot of folks that the percentage could be moved up a bit.
And now it's me trying to curb the fun? I'm "too successful"?

:rolleyes:

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »
I am digging it the way it is... :aok

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »
Cool.

I agree with a few people that the dynamics are back in the game, and I do agree with a lot of folks that the percentage could be moved up a bit.
And now it's me trying to curb the fun? I'm "too successful"?

:rolleyes:

What do you think about the idea of having the percentage vary based on the base size? Ala 70/80/90 or 75/85/95, respectively to size?