Author Topic: The betty.  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
The betty.
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
hey guys. so i took the betty for a spin around the DA furlball lake earlyer, to test out how the plane held up in combat and how strong/accurate the guns are. i thought i'd give my review of what i thought of it. please feel free to do your own aswell. thnxs to bullet, dedturn,flood, and RAVAH for the fun fights and helping me out.

first off" looks. the betty(in my opinion) is an ugly plane,im not insulting AH(pyro's?) modeling,they modeled it well. i just think its an ugly plane in general.the inside tho looks nice. i like the style of the cocpit. except for me, sitting so low makes it a little hard to land on the runway, ususally have to raise up to do so.

performance: i havent tested out its bombs yet or what its capable of doing in the bombing role,but its speed seems decent, and its fuel capability is very nice. climbs good.no real complaints here i guess.

armament: the armaments effectiveness kind of depends on the era of plane your going up against i think. bulletIV was in a spit8 i believe, the small guns couldnt really do any noticable damage to his plane, but once he got on my six and i opened up with the 20mm, i finally shot him down(after he got two of my bombers) the horrible thing about the guns are, they use ironsights. this personally makes it hard for me to aim. the 20mm seems very good at taking engines out than actually ripping pieces off a plane. but overall the armament was low, and i couldnt do anything to stop the hordes of temps/spits/47s.

survivability:just horrible.this is by far the worst bomber ive ever tryed to survive in, it seemed like it only took 2-3 20mm shots from bulletIV to make my entire plane blow up. even floods spit1's .303s were ripping parts off easily.

the plane easily rips apart or catches fire, but one thing i noticed was that the left wing usually catches fire more easily than the rest of the bomber, this may be a modeling bug or something. but out of the 7 sorties i made, 5 of them i was killed from the left wing catching ablaze. frankly this plane has no survivability. 1 flak burst is strong enough to allmost take out all 3 bombers if it hits dead center.

all and all, what was the point of having this plane put in? ik its a nice nostalgic plane to have, but it fills no obvious role i can see, its  bombload is okish. its survivability is allmost nothing, its armament is low only things holding it up is its range and the torpedo option, but frankly the bomber isent strong enough to survive the ack long enough to get close to drop.

i believe it will replace the ki67 for the few who like flying that bird, but overall, itll become another hanger queen, where the only action it can see and engagements it could survive will be in the EW. to me, this plane has no use.

everything stated above is MY review of the plane on how I feel about it in my own opinion, even tho ive talked bad things about the plane, dont be scared off from giving it a test flight, everyone likes diff planes, so i could be dead wrong or dead right in your mind.

allso, feel free to right your own review, and tell ppl why you love/hate this aircraft.

<S>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:04:07 PM by Tyrannis »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: The betty.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
What i find a bit strange is the OBJ rating of... drumroll...15!
Which is only slightly above the B-17's 12. For comparison, the much faster & better armed Ki-67, with only 200kg less bombload has the same ENY of 30, but an OBJ rating of 40!
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:34:30 PM »
What i find a bit strange is the OBJ rating of... drumroll...15!
Which is only slightly above the B-17's 12. For comparison, the much faster & better armed Ki-67, with only 200kg less bombload has the same ENY of 30, but an OBJ rating of 40!

Unlike the ENY rating, there seems to be no reasoning to the OBJ values placed on the aircraft.  A plane that was typically used for bombing or the attack *should* in theory have a better OBJ ranking that an aircraft that did not.   :headscratch:  I'm still trying to figure out why the Mossi and the Spit9 have the same OBJ rating.   :confused:
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BigKev03

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »
I took it out today for a run and I thought the climb rate and speed were okay.  The armament was light but I guess when the betty was designed speed was to be its defense.  I did not get jumped or attract any attention so I cant say about the plane taking damage yet.  I did think the bomb load was weak though.  I took the 4 250kg package which is equivalent to just over what 2100lbs of ord?  It was weird sitting on the right hand side though and the view was low and on landing I did have to pan my view up.  I will fly it but I think the JU88 is a better plane when you compare the two as its bomb load is much bigger.  The fuel range is excellent though and historically that was a advantage for the Betty.  Not a bad plane for early war/mid war and for AvA as well as FSO.

BigKev

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:48:33 AM »
I took her on a run yesterday. I landed 14K damage and a kill on a 109G-14. Got slightly over 8 perks for that. Doing the same thing in a Ki-67 with much less risk involved and in about half the time, I would have gotten about 20 perks (at same perk modifier)

That's not really much reward for choosing a slow & fragile early war bomber over a much more survivable blitz bomber. ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:19:47 AM by Lusche »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »
I was surprised to see the pilot in the right seat of the Betty. The pilot is in the left seat on the Ki-67. Is one of them incorrect?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
to me, this plane has no use.

Special Events, AvA, FSO, Scenarios.

There's FAR more to this game than the Mains.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline beau32

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:36:57 AM »
I was surprised to see the pilot in the right seat of the Betty. The pilot is in the left seat on the Ki-67. Is one of them incorrect?

Nope, they are right. the pilot of the betty sat in the right seat, and the Ki-67 the left seat.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

"There is always a small microcosm of people who need to explain away their suckage."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
I took her on a run yesterday. I landed 14K damage and a kill on a 109G-14. Got slightly over 8 perks for that. Doing the same thing in a Ki-67 with much less risk involved and in about half the time, I would have gotten about 20 perks (at same perk modifier)

That's not really much reward for choosing a slow & fragile early war bomber over a much more survivable blitz bomber. ;)

^^
This inspired me to take a look at the theoretical perk gain efficiency by bombing, by correlating a bombers OBJ rating with it's payload (measured in damage points, as smaller bombs have more power per weight)

As you can see, the Betty is on the low end of the scale, as some of us have already found out by practical experience ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:48:32 AM by Lusche »

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »
OBJ value was a boo boo.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
OBJ value was a boo boo.

hmmm  now how do I put that in a chart  :headscratch:  :D

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »
I understand the ENY of the planes and whatnot...however the OBJ is something still alien to me after 8 years. Anyone care to explain to me what this may be? Im sure it means objective, but what does it mean in the game in all aspects?...
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »
hmmm  now how do I put that in a chart  :headscratch:  :D
:rofl :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
I understand the ENY of the planes and whatnot...however the OBJ is something still alien to me after 8 years. Anyone care to explain to me what this may be? Im sure it means objective, but what does it mean in the game in all aspects?...

The ENY value of a plane controls how many perks you get when killing an ENemY (=other human)
The OBJ value does the same for determining perks gained by destroying OBJects.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 12:56:25 PM »
all and all, what was the point of having this plane put in?

This plane fills a badly needed gap for snapshots, scenarios, FSO and the AvA.

It may not be competitive in the MA's but there are some of us who are more interested in the historically immersive aspect of the game and never even fly in the MA.

We need some love too.