Author Topic: P51 vids  (Read 1401 times)

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
P51 vids
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »
Anyone have any good films of P51s in action?  Trying to learn the subtle points of flying the P51 without constantly relying on its ability to run. 
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
Re: P51 vids
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »
Its not called running. Its called extending and resetting for advantage   :airplane:
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline Heinrich Ehrler

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »
I'd like to see a P-51 compilation also if anyone has it.

Ehrler

Offline IamSalem

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
Its not called running. Its called extending and resetting for advantage   :airplane:

+1  :aok

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »

They did it in the war.   ;)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
I've erased all mine but you can get some really good films off out some of the 412th Braunco Mustang guys. You might also want to check out their website. ScatSr, dTango and Midnight films would be the most help I think.

Also Niros has a lot on YouTube. Not sure what squad he's in though. You might want to talk to RedTop in the 71st or CoprHead. Steve may have some good films still but you'll probably have to PM him here on the BBS, as I think he's inactive right now.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »

It sounds like the OP is growing tired of feeling compelled to do that.

Uptown had good advice.  Also, try searching for posts by "spatula" and clicking the links in his signature...  I believe he has a good write up of the mustang on his website.

Finally, don't be afraid to drag better sticks into the DA for some serious stick time in the stang.  This will help more than anything else.

:salute
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 02:29:58 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  I've seen some guys do some amazing things in the Mustang and I have been working in the TA and DA over the last few weeks just trying to learn as much as possible.  It has helped, but still looking for any nuggets of wisdom gained by more seasoned sticks.

I'll check out the Mustang squad website again, but I think the film links are broken.

Thanks!
 :aok
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »
 Jaxx,

do a search for a player named Steve,ya real original but despite that he's a good 51 pilot,there's several others but you've already been directed to them!

I'm not sure Steve posted any films but it's worth alook anyways.

:salute

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »
The P-51 is an average plane at best.  If you want to get more successful in the Mustang then you need to learn to think beyond just the raw performance of the airplane.  There in lies the secret.  Here's my 1st law of air combat at no charge :) -

1) There are no absolutes in air combat; it's all relative
Want do I mean by that?  Visit this thread:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,241877.msg2950355.html#msg2950355

Thinking beyond airplane raw performance is key.  It's all about getting inside your adversary's decision loop and factoring more than raw performance of the airplane to do so.  Knowing how to exploit what relative differences in speeds, altitudes, & angles is important.  For instance the basic question of which way do you turn throughout an engagement seems like a really simple decision.  But that choice of even the direction of the first turn can determine if you win or lose an engagement.  What do I mean by all this?  Here is some write up and films to demonstrate:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,253819.0.html

The films included are flown with the P-51.  It would be a mistake however to treat the films as "how to fly the P-51".  If you think that way then you've already painted yourself into a box.

Hope that helps!
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »
The P-51 is an average plane at best.  

Good write up! However, I disagree that the Mustang is an average plane at best. Maybe as modeled here in AH2 it is (I don't think so though) but history shows us that the Mustang was the pinnacle of what propeller driven fighters could achieve. I agree with you that its always comes down to the pilot but history proves that the pony was indeed the cadillac of the sky.

I've heard interviews with WW2 Mustang pilots say that while flying the pony, they felt nothing could touch them. When seeing a formation of German fighters, Mustang pilots got excited much like kids on Christmas morning. That is to say, flying the pony gave them confidence to relish an engagement with enemy fighters versus filling them with a sense of dread or anxiety.

At best, the pony was technology which reached the very limit of its capabilities and could very little be improved without completely leap frogging forward to say... Jet engines.
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 07:06:43 PM »
The type of virtual air war we have in AH vs. the actual air war in the ETO is completely different.  Most of the factors (not all of them airplane raw performance related) that made the P-51 shine in the ETO are inconsequential in AH.  Based on raw plane performance the P-51 is average in AH.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:11:46 PM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
Wow! Some great threads there Tango.  Exactly what I was looking for. 

While I did get the kill in this film, it was only becasue the Ki was outnumbered.  Would love any critique.  I've been trying to get more aggressive in situations like these and having some limited success. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ph7fjr94gcgw8h

Let me know if the link has problems.. first time posting here.   :x
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »
To me, the hit on the KI was just a pick. Don't get me wrong, it was a good pick  :devil You never did re engage him. You pulled him along for your buddies and once he got tied up with them you went back. It really wasn't much of a fight.

Personally the most I would have done is made the one pass like you did and then move on someplace else. There were far too many friendlies around for you to try and push yourself in a fight with the pony. I'm no super jock, but I like flying the pony. I don't have many films as I clear them out weekly, but I have this one you can look at.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/a9b8304986_1.15MB

It starts in the middle of a fight. The 190 and I had started up higher, but now we are on the deck and I get some help. By the time we finish him off we get too close and the enemy has us a bit out numbered. A 109 comes after me. What I want you to see is the pony can be maneuvered a lot and still fight. Don't be afraid to push it. A 109 should out maneuver a pony, but in this case it doesn't.  Excuse my poor aim, it is the cross I must carry   :D

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
Well I seen a few things that I would have done different. First I would have nailed that Hurricane that was just floating there in front on you :lol. It seemed like you was unsure of what target to go after. My rule when engaging a better turning plane such as your Hurri or KI is to stay faster and higher then them and always try to get in the position to catch then at the top of their loop or in a turn. Because turning is what they do, you'll need to yoyo against these guys cutting inside their turns but at the same time staying faster then them.
As soon as I seen the KI was going up I would have too. You don't want that KI on top of you coming down because he's going to be hell to shake if he saddles up.
2nd is you when did get under the KI you pulled up into a headon situation. NOT GOOD. He has cannons and you collided no top of that. Once the KI started to climb I would have been trying to judge his state of E and catch him at the top when he was about to stall and then pop him. The worse case scenario is you'd miss the shot and he'd just drop down below you, leaving you on top with the advantage of alt and speed.
Both the KI and Hurricane will eat a 51 up in a turn fight so to be successful against one of them you have to use the 51s speed against them. Slashing attacks and keeping them pinned down and turning. Don't be predictable in your attacks as they'll be able to guess your next move and turn for the Ho shot.
Lighten up Francis