Author Topic: Tank Town GV bombing solution  (Read 9888 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Re: Tank Town GV bombing solution
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2010, 12:46:15 AM »
That would help a bit, but I always ask friendlies to lob a shell in a particular direction of a GV they're having the most trouble with. Once I start diving, unless their in thick trees I always see them before I see the ICON.   :airplane:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Crythos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2010, 03:17:45 AM »
I still do not understand why they haven't at least removed enemy icons from tanks as seen from the air. That alone would even the playing field in my humble opinion.. Then the pilot has to actually hunt instead of looking for that big red icon...

Maybe when they add cut turf, exhaust smoke, cordite smoke and previous shell craters dont expire as it is seems the workable compromise.
"Tojo"

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »
I still do not understand why they haven't at least removed enemy icons from tanks as seen from the air. That alone would even the playing field in my humble opinion.. Then the pilot has to actually hunt instead of looking for that big red icon...

the icon only shows within 1.5k anyway, i dont think it would make much diff.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2010, 08:39:57 AM »

Icons off.. I LIKE this idea  :devil

*flees the angry mob*

:bolt:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »
Dirtdart:

Well, I come back from my holiday break, and see that this thread hasn’t fared very well.  There have been a few sincere counter-arguments to your ideas, but most opponents are depressingly disingenuous and illogical.  The objections of such opponents clearly derive from their personal gameplay preferences, and their inability to acknowledge personal preferences of others.  They keep repeating the same things, and nothing posted in these threads will change their minds.  Some of these illogical things include:
1)  Tank combat is all spawn camping.  (false)
2)  When spawn camping occurs, GVers can't handle it.  (false)
3)  Proposed GV-friendly changes would apply outside of TT and ruin the rest of the MA.  (false)
4)  Since they don't enjoy GV-only battles, no one else does/should either.  (false)
5)  Proponents of the GV-friendly ideas in this and similar threads only play GVs, don't care about other types of gameplay, are thus hypocrites, and should therefore be ignored.  (false)
6)  Etc., etc.

Does that mean that your thread is useless?  No it doesn't.  You influenced Greebo, and generated useful discussion, which could later be leveraged in a Wishlist thread.  Maybe I will try a Wishlist thread on this topic.  If I do, its focus will be on enabling an additional gameplay mode, without detracting from existing modes, and why this will benefit HTC and the overall player base. 

This is what is going to happen, put on your big boy pants and take notes.

Let's say we implement this idea of an area where GVers can tank vs tank without worrying about planes or bombs.

Yes it would be a cool and thoughtfull idea to the minority, BUT here lies the problem. The bombers and fighters are the equalizers in TT.

If you get a squad of 15 tanks and you are able to position yourselfs to have a MASS spawn camping party, then how are you going to kill them? Well there are no ords or bombers available...your TT has now become a camp fest because campers can now camp unmolested by bombers. The camping in TT will boil to a point of insanity and TT will die very quickly.

"Hey want to go to TT?"   "No, it is all just campers"

There are always people on to ruin the fun for everyone, with a TT with no Ords avaliable to bomb campers, all you need is ~8 guys working together to spawn camp to shut down TT.

"This will never happen you say?" Yes it will, cause I will be the one to get those 15 guys together  :t  Why? Because I will make obvious the flaws in your logic not by words but by action.
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2010, 10:09:12 AM »
This is what is going to happen, put on your big boy pants and take notes.

"This will never happen you say?" Yes it will, cause I will be the one to get those 15 guys together  :t  Why? Because I will make obvious the flaws in your logic not by words but by action.

Sigh.... there should be a sign that says "You must be this tall (holds hand waist high) to post". 
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2010, 11:16:12 AM »
Sigh.... there should be a sign that says "You must be this tall (holds hand waist high) to post". 

Forgetting that he's saying he'd do it, are you seriously contending that it wouldn't happen?  In an online game, if it's possible within the game for people to use it to advantage, somebody will do it, period.

I do have a serious question though:  Why should anything that should be a live target in the Main arena get special dispensation to not be attacked by something that has the capability to attack it?  Why do people want to be in the Main Arena which has GVs, fighters, bombers, and CVs all running around in it fighting among themselves, but feel that only certain portions of the enabled enemy craft should be able to attack them?  Why is that reasonable?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »
Wiley simply put there is no special anything in the clouds that's already some vehicles in game already enjoy.  Dots above the clouds are harder to by those underneath.  This is really nothing radical.  The tank centric areas are there for the tankers to fight it out.  Since there are airfields then yes there will be guys killing gv.  I think we also agree that a tank arena would be useless.  So if there is a single place on the map of no strategic value where tanks can slug it out why all the concern.  Ideally I would like to think that some players have enough character to let tanks in tt slug it out in peace.  This is not the case.  Since this is not the case increasing the degree of difficulty for the attack score heros was what I felt a viable option.  Who honestly cares if tanks are in some part of the ma slugging it out?

Like I said earlier it looks like this among many others will fall on deaf ears. I look forward to playing on greebos new map if it is accepted.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
Wiley simply put there is no special anything in the clouds that's already some vehicles in game already enjoy.  Dots above the clouds are harder to by those underneath.  This is really nothing radical.  The tank centric areas are there for the tankers to fight it out.  Since there are airfields then yes there will be guys killing gv.  I think we also agree that a tank arena would be useless.  So if there is a single place on the map of no strategic value where tanks can slug it out why all the concern.  Ideally I would like to think that some players have enough character to let tanks in tt slug it out in peace.  This is not the case.  Since this is not the case increasing the degree of difficulty for the attack score heros was what I felt a viable option.  Who honestly cares if tanks are in some part of the ma slugging it out?

Like I said earlier it looks like this among many others will fall on deaf ears. I look forward to playing on greebos new map if it is accepted.

Maybe you are the one with deaf ears, you did not at any point in your response, make any invalid or valid points at my .02 cents.

Do you or do you not agree with my outlook? How are you going to take of the spawn campers with no air support?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:14:11 PM by Flipperk »
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
Wiley simply put there is no special anything in the clouds that's already some vehicles in game already enjoy.

Well, regardless of the mechanic being used, you're still effectively saying 'Protect tanks from aircraft.'

What is the difference between that, and a separate arena?  Why is the idea of a separate arena so horrible, is it because then the people in planes will not get to see peoples' name in lights when they .ef their tank sortie?  Is it because then it won't affect their main arena tanking score?  If the tank is in the Main arena, why shouldn't it be subject to all the hazards the Main arena affords?

Who honestly cares if tanks are in some part of the ma slugging it out?

Personally, I don't give a tinker's dam about GVs.  To me, they're the metal box I sit in and wait to die.  I also don't care about score and ranking, but I can see this setup radically altering how easy it would be to score in tanks.  I don't care about score, but I know a lot of people do and it would make it easier to not die in tanks compared to the past.  Additionally, the fact that a designated TT would allow the aforementioned 15 people to camp unfettered pretty much negates it as a decent idea, IMO.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »
for gawds sakes make the clouds at 1k, then we can fly under 1k find the tanks go 90 degree vertical and drop the bomb, now do you see where 1k clouds wont work? even if you made the clouds touching the ground someone will still bomb you, there have been very good options given, you want it YOUR way, good luck
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
Maybe you are the one with deaf ears, you did not at any point in your response, make any invalid or valid points at my .02 cents.

Do you or do you not agree with my outlook? How are you going to take of the spawn campers with no air support?

There are multiple bases on TT, because we are only talking about TT.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2010, 04:10:50 PM »
Why is the idea of a separate arena so horrible?
Wiley.

4 words World War One Arena

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »

Too many words.  Try a few letters:  AvA  :old:

ISorry, I just could not resist  :neener:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: December 30, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »

Not the same.  Completely different gameplay in the WWI arena.  If there were a dedicated tanking arena, what would the difference between that and this 'safe zone' in the main arena be?

Wiley.

JG11