Author Topic: Tank Town GV bombing solution  (Read 10541 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Tank Town GV bombing solution
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 09:20:18 PM »
phatzo:

Gold Coast is a nice-looking area.  How far to the Great Barrier Reef?  (My wife and I used to dive in the Caribbean). 

BTW, to repeat, I don't want to screw up the MA; I just want a space where one can do GV-vs.-GV "furball" style fighting without AC, from time to time.  I think this can be accomplished without screwing up the MA because most people don't want "furball" style GV play, but instead want "win the war" style GV play.  Thus most will stay in the normal MA space.  If my assumptions are correct, everyone will then be happy. 

Belial:

When I construct my Wishlist idea, it will probably involve suggestions on (a) how the dedicated space might be constructed, and (b) how to publicize the presence of players in it.  Your "short drives" suggestion could go in (a). 

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:20 PM »
Tank Town..... never heard of it.

Why would we want to stop.... the reason we have tanks is to give us something to bomb.   

It is a flight Sim after all.

Cavalry

High fidelity flight simulation is the heart of Aces High but it doesn't end there.  A war rages on the ground and at sea.  Engage enemy armor in tank combat.  Protect your fleet as a gunner or make a torpedo run in a PT boat.  Lead an assault in an amphibious vehicle.  With over 100 warbirds, vehicles, and boats available, you have access to a vast virtual arsenal.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
Leada sweetie ault in an amphibious vehicle. 
lol at the language filter, it doesn't like donkeys.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 02:32:39 AM »
I've got an MA terrain submitted for approval to HTC at the moment. It has a tank town area with three bases surrounded by a ring of 13k mountains and permanent low cloud over the V bases. Each tank town V base can only be reached from the other two and from one other V base outside the ring of mountains which is deep inside that country's territory. This external V base can be spawned to from one of the country's uncapturable fields. So worst case scenario to get your tank town V base back is to capture two V bases and usually it would be only one and this can be one by GVs only.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 02:50:07 AM »
I've got an MA terrain submitted for approval to HTC at the moment. It has a tank town area with three bases surrounded by a ring of 13k mountains and permanent low cloud over the V bases. Each tank town V base can only be reached from the other two and from one other V base outside the ring of mountains which is deep inside that country's territory. This external V base can be spawned to from one of the country's uncapturable fields. So worst case scenario to get your tank town V base back is to capture two V bases and usually it would be only one and this can be one by GVs only.

Sounds really neat... but I'm afraid it may end up like the similar TT area on trinity. Players are not really used anymore to spawn into an area without intending to either attack or defend a base.

I have an idea for a GV friendly MA map without TT, but working with the TE....  :uhoh
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:55:02 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 06:42:29 AM »
Oh, I disagree. There are many times I do this while cons in the air present.  This gives me a more difficult task of dodging HOtards, pickers and uberdweebs that think I am a easy kill.

:rofl :rofl Think?  :rofl :rofl You wont make it 2 turns past the merge with an average pilot... never mind above average. Stick to what you know... bomb and run.
See Rule #4

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
[In-Game: Amaazee]
Road to Rangoon 2011
Überprüfung Sechs

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
To reinforce my point, because some seem to misunderstand...

Just like there are sections of open water where AC can fight until they are blue in the face, there could be a similar spot on the map.  On the two of the "tank island" maps, simply put a low cloud over say 10 miles, maybe 15.  Enough to shelter the guys who want to GV from the score guys.  Lets face it.  The only reason why guys go out of there way to bomb GVs who are really out in the open fighting other GVs is to be mean or to promote their score.  Neither are conducive to enhancing the gameplay for anyone but themselves.  Sure, this is generation I and Y.  I get that and some of the responses reinforce this.  I imply nothing about giving GVs and advantage in base capture.  I take nothing away from guys killing spawn campers and base porkers. 

No one has answered the question, why would this small area of low clouds ruin the gameplay for them?

--Crusader

I've got an MA terrain submitted for approval to HTC at the moment...this can be one by GVs only.

Your contributions to the game are insightful and exceptional.  Your posts are helpful and not belittling.  It is unfortunate that so few with your experience contribute in a polite manner on the BBs to promote and not discourage discussion.  <S>
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »
 Once again kill the ords at the base the bomb tards are using to bomb your tank from. One P-51D with just two 500 lbs bombs can take out all 4 ords at a larger base and fly home. Yes they can resupply it. So go back and kill the ords again. If they are driving M3s with supplies they ain't bombing you. Remember that most people are too lazy to go kill ords so they don't get bombed. So what make you think the other side is not too lazy to resupply their base.

Take it from a guy who porks and resupplies a lot. I don't have much help porking bases or resupplying one. As for the low clouds over some GV spawn areas. I don't see a problem with that. It is not like the tankers have an over abundance of good GV spawn points to start with. We really only have two good map with about one good spawn each. Every thing else has such a long drive to get to GV you need a DOT log book to track miles and driving time. As for low clouds, it worked for the Germans at the Battle of the Bulge.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »
:rofl :rofl Think?  :rofl :rofl You wont make it 2 turns past the merge with an average pilot... never mind above average. Stick to what you know... bomb and run.

hummm...and how the hell would a tool head like you would know this?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »
+1 Greebo
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »
Sounds really neat... but I'm afraid it may end up like the similar TT area on trinity. Players are not really used anymore to spawn into an area without intending to either attack or defend a base.

I have an idea for a GV friendly MA map without TT, but working with the TE....  :uhoh

I'm not exactly clear on the geometry, but there does need to be something at the spawn point to attack.  If this terrain consists of a series of V-bases within driving distance of each other (as on Ozkansas TT island, but without the airfields), then it will work.  That's because the first guy in can start attacking the other bases.  They will blink, attracting more GV players.  Etc.  The additional players will have to be in GVs because the terrain is (should be) designed to deter AC. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:18:10 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 02:32:46 AM »
The tank town bases on my map are in a triangular arrangement about 6 miles apart from each other. Each base has three spawn points into the centre of tank town, the centre one of these puts you about 4 miles from the enemy bases. I can't remember what the base flashing radius for GVs is, isn't it 5 miles? If anyone wants to try my terrain out, you can download it here: CraterMA.zip Just put the unzipped files in your ahiiterr folder and it should appear in the available terrains list when you open AH. Note the tank town base cloud cover takes about 45 minutes to fully generate after the terrain is started.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 05:54:22 AM »
The tank town bases on my map are in a triangular arrangement about 6 miles apart from each other. Each base has three spawn points into the centre of tank town, the centre one of these puts you about 4 miles from the enemy bases. I can't remember what the base flashing radius for GVs is, isn't it 5 miles? If anyone wants to try my terrain out, you can download it here: CraterMA.zip Just put the unzipped files in your ahiiterr folder and it should appear in the available terrains list when you open AH. Note the tank town base cloud cover takes about 45 minutes to fully generate after the terrain is started.

The base warning range for GV is 3 miles, on your terrain the bases will not flash if someone spawns to TT.
On the other hand, if they would do, I'm afraid the player response would just be to up on that base "under attack" and waiting for the enemy to arrive. After all, if you would spawn to TT, your base could get captured meanwhile.

Ands another thing. One "trick" that could work getting people to tank town is to give those 3 bases the lowest field numbers. That way everybody will start in a TT base tower. If you look at the distribution of fights on the various maps, it really works that way.

That being said, I really hope we will see your terrain in the MA soon!  :rock
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:57:12 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2010, 07:17:10 AM »
I suppose I could compress tank town enough to get the bases flashing immediately someone spawns. There wouldn't be a lot of room to fight though and there wouldn't be as much reaction time to prevent captures. As it is one of the bases will start flashing as an enemy GV reaches that base's own furthest spawn point.

I also noticed how some maps always generate the same A1-A2 fights because of field numbering layout. On some maps it can sometimes be a waste of time logging into the country that doesn't have A1 or A2. Tends to make the maps get a bit stale IMO.

For that reason on my map I made A1-A3 the three uncapturable fields next to the strat cities. Players will always log in to one of those fields irrespective of the position of the frontlines and would normally have to switch fields to get to a fight. Ought to make for more variation in gameplay.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:25:12 AM by Greebo »