Author Topic: Combat Tour on Main Arena - some ideas  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: Combat Tour on Main Arena - some ideas
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 06:03:12 AM »
"Rolling plane set" has been tried before in another MMO flight sim, and it didn't work out too well.

Add in the imbalance a 1 country plan would create? Pretty skeptical here.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »
It wouldn't work. The CT country would be crushed night after night and before they could get going/better equipment most players would switch countries. NOBODY likes getting hammered night after night.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
:old: I would love to see more mission based play.  The code for Combat Tour I believe is still pretty far away for the MA. 

It's hard to say what was planning under the original CT (it was a big secret). I suppose they planned to make special arena something like AvA arena but filled with drones manned by AI where people will fly historical missions together with or against drones gaining ranks etc.

My idea is quite opposite and much more simple - to bring CT into Main Arena and make it possible for people with free accounts to play it. We will get self-learning leaving drones (CT people :) ) without a necessity to write tons of AI code . Too easy :) Human intellect is much better than AI anyway so these "drones" will strike back in a matter of time and the fun will begin :)

What most folks that fly during the day are missing, is that an AvA arena with 4 or 5 players is actually a pretty busy place.  The fights occur almost instantly. 

It seems that people who like instant action prefer to play in DA instead of AvA. Some time I see up to 50 people in DA and 0 in AvA at the same time.

The question, what will it take to get the daytime / LW off hours players to step outside of their sandbox and visit and arena with 0 or 1 players in it and sit long enough to fly a couple of patterns about their base, before another "displaced sandboxee" joins in to engage.  Get an AvA daytime arena with anywhere near 10 guys in it, and you could pretty much get the kind of game play that you are describing. 

I agree that the AvA is a very interesting arena but we have to admit the AH rolls around the Main Arena and the future of the game depends on it.
I can see that the number of people playing AH has decreased slightly in the last couple of years and this is dangerous tendency. It would be pretty sad to see AH ending up like FA or WB. That is why it is so important to bring more people to Main Arena which on a log run will be a big benefit for everybody.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »
It wouldn't work. The CT country would be crushed night after night and before they could get going/better equipment most players would switch countries. NOBODY likes getting hammered night after night.

It would be the same for all the CT'ers though.  Let the cream rise to the top. :aok

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 08:48:57 PM »

Just imagine that CT country outnumbers your country 3 to 1. Who will win? The quality or the quantity ? This is a quite historical question BTW ;)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »
I very much doubt that the CT country would ever out number the others. So the CT country would get crushed. After a day or two of getting crushed I don't care who you are or how into the history you are it would no longer be fun. At which point there would be people leaving the CT country in droves. Again dropping the numbers. The even with the top of the line equipment they would still be crushed.

Most of the people who play this game play it to have fun. Getting hammered night in and night out isn't fun....ask the knights  :devil A structured game play system won't work for the long haul. AvA has been working very hard to get rid of its poor reputation and bring about many different types of game play. They have had "Win the war" scenarios, capture the flag type scenarios, just strait up head to head stuff. And still there are very few in there.

The majority of the people don't want it, nor will they play it. Personally I didn't think "Combat Tour" was going to be much of a success, but I was willing to give it a shot, after all HTC was building it  :aok Look at the senarios that are run now. Historic set-ups, months of planning by a number of very talented people. They have trouble filling out the wings! While there are people who like that type of play, there are many, many more that won't even look at it. It's just the way it is in this "we want it NOW" world.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 01:02:45 AM »
fugitive by getting hammered night after night, you mean getting killed in the game and not the drinking part right?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 01:04:39 AM »
I think you are more likely to apply CT aspects to the AvA or SEA.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
I very much doubt that the CT country would ever out number the others. So the CT country would get crushed. After a day or two of getting crushed I don't care who you are or how into the history you are it would no longer be fun. At which point there would be people leaving the CT country in droves. Again dropping the numbers. The even with the top of the line equipment they would still be crushed.

The number of CT people will depend on how good these changes in AH gameplay will be advertised and supported by HTC. AH is well known for an excellent flight modeling and best mass-multiplayer gameplay among flight simulators. If CT will be for free why not give it a try.
Give CT country more fields that can not be captured by other countries and they will be able to carry out their missions deeper from their territory not being vulched instantly. It's not a shame if mission is not successful - everybody understands that early war planes are quite handicapped comparing to later war birds. But it will be still much better tryout comparing to current two week trial when a person most likely  will be shot down ten times in a row will feel himself helpless finding the game is not fun at all. In CT the new person will be immediately assigned to a mission (and probably squad) will get instructions and support from flight leaders and other people. And on the obvious question - why can't I fly P51, I don't want to fly P40b! He will get a fair answer that his is playing CT for free and that's why he can not fly whatever he wants right now, but he have a chance to get a better bird and even a P51 could be possible in the end of the tour for him if he becomes a good team-member. And you know - give a person a hope and he will show an unfainting  perseverance trying to get his goal.

Most of the people who play this game play it to have fun. Getting hammered night in and night out isn't fun....ask the knights  :devil A structured game play system won't work for the long haul. AvA has been working very hard to get rid of its poor reputation and bring about many different types of game play. They have had "Win the war" scenarios, capture the flag type scenarios, just strait up head to head stuff. And still there are very few in there.

That is exactly what I am trying to say. Main Arena is a best fun so far to everybody because people with quite different playing style can play there together. Someone likes furballing, someone likes base taking, someone likes score boosting etc. Cut the part of it, reduce it to AvA and only a few people play there.
That is why I am not suggesting to cut anything from Main Arena, but to add something new (some kind of RPG style) in addition to what is already there. Some more variety, more people and more fun to everybody.

The majority of the people don't want it, nor will they play it.

It is hard to say what majority  of the people want... For sure they want B-29 :)  But give a CT people right to vote and they will vote for Ki-43 instead...  and I think it will be a healthier choice.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 10:53:09 PM »

We have three countries at war with each other, two countries may stay exactly the same as they are now. But the third one may be converted into the Combat Tour country.

We have 3 arenas still fighting P51 vs P51s,  why not convert one of the  LW in AvA style, 2 teams only and let the war roll  ?!

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
We have 3 arenas still fighting P51 vs P51s,  why not convert one of the  LW in AvA style, 2 teams only and let the war roll  ?!

Why would we need another AvA?

Forcing everyone who can't fit into one LW main, into an AvA set up isn't the way to go.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 09:08:21 AM »

The AvA already proves that that only works for 20-30 people. HTC as a company can not survive with 20-30 subscribers. All out, use anything you want type arenas are what the people want, so thats what HTC will continue to try and provide.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »
The AvA already proves that that only works for 20-30 people. HTC as a company can not survive with 20-30 subscribers. All out, use anything you want type arenas are what the people want, so thats what HTC will continue to try and provide.

QFT. We have about 34 members on the AvA website http://www.avaarena.org

We think we can boost the number of AvA players maybe even as high as 100, but it will always be a smaller player base than the LW main.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
Some sort of "Combat Tour lite" with a RPG aspect in a separate arena or adding these capabilities to the current AvA arena might work.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
QFT. We have about 34 members on the AvA website http://www.avaarena.org

We think we can boost the number of AvA players maybe even as high as 100, but it will always be a smaller player base than the LW main.

This tour you had 221 pilots with at least one kill or death so far.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman