Author Topic: Spitfire XVIs in wartime air combat  (Read 1925 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Spitfire XVIs in wartime air combat
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
     F4Us and even P-47s can roll pretty well also.
Brewster  :old:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:24 PM »
you think that, until your stuck in the DA with 40 ppl all flying in spit16s. totally ruins the atmosphere of fun in there.
It's not the planes that make it that way.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »
This information should be in the training forum.  :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 05:10:32 PM »
This information should be in the training forum.  :neener:

No.  It should go into the "Holier Than Thou, I'm So Great, Let Me Look Down My Shnoz at You Because You Said Something Wrong About Airplanes Forum"   :D :neener:

But since that is a private forum and only a very few ppl on the boards have access to it, he posted it here for maximum exposure. 

Also, he couldn't pad his post count by posting in a private forum because the only person that works for is Joach1m. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
Still think that HTC would be better off with a re label to the Spitfire LF IX (which is what it is a late model LF IX) and be done with it. We have the Bf 109G-2, Bf 109G-6 and Bf 109G-14 and there seems to be no great problem understanding what "G" is what so two "IXs" should be the same way you would think. Save the triple roman numerals for the Mark 14 Griffin version.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »
The full throttle height of the Spitfire Mk XVI in AH matches that of the Merlin 66 in the Spitfire LF.Mk IX, not the full throttle height of the Merlin 266 in the Spitfire Mk XVI, so we don't actually have a Spitfire Mk XVI in AH, we have a Spitfire LF.Mk IXe.

I wonder how many people would complain that the new Spitfire LF.Mk IXe wasn't as good as the old Spitfire Mk XVI and ask for the Spitfire Mk XVI back if HTC were to simply change the Spitfire Mk XVI's name to "Spitfire LF.Mk IXe" in AH?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
I wonder how many people would complain that the new Spitfire LF.Mk IXe wasn't as good as the old Spitfire Mk XVI and ask for the Spitfire Mk XVI back if HTC were to simply change the Spitfire Mk XVI's name to "Spitfire LF.Mk IXe" in AH?

Quite a lot.

I mean, you regularly see players even complain about HTC having nerfed plane X recently when there hasn't been any change or update whatsoever at all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
No.  It should go into the "Holier Than Thou, I'm So Great, Let Me Look Down My Shnoz at You Because You Said Something Wrong About Airplanes Forum"   :D :neener:

But since that is a private forum and only a very few ppl on the boards have access to it, he posted it here for maximum exposure. 

Also, he couldn't pad his post count by posting in a private forum because the only person that works for is Joach1m. 

Points to SunBat's sig and wonders why he doesn't understand :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »
you think that, until your stuck in the DA with 40 ppl all flying in spit16s. totally ruins the atmosphere of fun in there.

Rome had bombers?   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 12:04:50 AM »
It seems that the guys who complain about the Spit 16 are the same guys who fly the P-51D. If I'm not mistaken, the P-51 D was introduced very late in the war. As long as the P-51D stays in the game then the Spit 16 should stay.
a P51D takes more skill to fly than the Spit16/ MK IX LFe whatever it is thingy. A good P51 pilot will give a Spit16 a run for its money any day.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
a P51D takes more skill to fly than the Spit16/ MK IX LFe whatever it is thingy. A good P51 pilot will give a Spit16 a run for its money any day.

BAR, I'm up for testing that with you as I'm curious about the hubub.  I will drive the 16 as I have spent little time in the 51.  I would imagine it will be a long dual...I can't catch you and you will only be able to turn effectively with me about 5 times and that wont be enough.  Should be interesting...PM me and we can set it up.

V/r

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »
BAR, I'm up for testing that with you as I'm curious about the hubub.  I will drive the 16 as I have spent little time in the 51.  I would imagine it will be a long dual...I can't catch you and you will only be able to turn effectively with me about 5 times and that wont be enough.  Should be interesting...PM me and we can set it up.

V/r

Changeup
sounds good. hopefully we can soon :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 01:54:55 AM »

Huh?  :headscratch:
80th FS "Headhunters"Nose Art

S.A.P.P.-Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »
The full throttle height of the Spitfire Mk XVI in AH matches that of the Merlin 66 in the Spitfire LF.Mk IX, not the full throttle height of the Merlin 266 in the Spitfire Mk XVI, so we don't actually have a Spitfire Mk XVI in AH, we have a Spitfire LF.Mk IXe.

if we have it your way then "Spitfire LF.Mk IXe" will be classified as mid war aircraft.

i say keep it as is and just give us spit XII for mid war :aok

-----

for those who are not familiar with spit XII, it's basically a clipped-wing, low-boost wep spit 14 with almost the same climb and speed as the in-game Fw-190A-5.
I'm sure XII won't be as unbalancing as the XVI.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 05:21:13 PM by Perrine »

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »
Points to SunBat's sig and wonders why he doesn't understand :)

:D
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla