Author Topic: Landing on fields  (Read 1517 times)

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
Re: Landing on fields
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
if you land with both wheels on the runway or the entire plane on the runway, its a successful landing. but if you land in the dirt, yeah you live, but its not a sucessful landing. its just an OK landing.

is the 737 that lands in the dirt a successful landing at logan airport? or is it one they can walk away from? its definitely not a successful landing. look at it that way!
Ok..lets say this then. Your just flying in the sky, all of a sudden your plane's engine fails, most important rule I heard is to find an empty field or somewhere where you can land it. So you land it in an empty field, why would that not count as a landing, it's better than crashing and blowing up isnt it...?

Jokers Jokers
"CAN'T TALK NOW.....GOTTA SHOOT!" - Dan Zoernig
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - 56th FG

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
So basically what your saying, is you could be across the entire map opposite from you in enemy territory and still land successfully??  :huh How? :headscratch: It doesn't make sense

How long doe it take for a plane to fly home from the enemy base? How long would it take for a tank to drive back? Still makes no sense GV and planes have different rules?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »

Some days you're going to have to make a decision. On the one hand, if you can keep it on the runway, you'll get a successful landing but on the other, if you don't, you'll just get a ditch. It's up to you to decide.

Here.
Take a cookie.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:18:23 PM by Blooz »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
Ok..lets say this then. Your just flying in the sky, all of a sudden your plane's engine fails, most important rule I heard is to find an empty field or somewhere where you can land it. So you land it in an empty field, why would that not count as a landing, it's better than crashing and blowing up isnt it...?

A ditch IS better than crashing and blowing up
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 01:05:15 PM »
Ditches are BORING

I'd rather die in a new and spectacular fashion  :cool:

although there have been times I found myself off the runway and just taxied back onto it.  Not many.  I think I did it in 2007 once or twice.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
A ditch IS better than crashing and blowing up
Yea, the thing is, what's so much different from a ditch and a landing? You're in your plane, on the field, why can't they be the same? It's not like your a mile from base, then I can understand..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 01:15:48 PM by THRASH99 »

Jokers Jokers

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »
Yea, the thing is, what's so much different from a ditch and a landing? Your in your plane, on the field, why can't they be the same? It's not like your a mile from base, then I can understand..

Looks like we got a broken record housed by a brick wall.  :bolt:
See Rule #4

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
But you run the risk of stepping in a gopher hole or a sheep print and breaking your ankle taking you off flight status for at least two weeks.  Isn't that a bad thing when we need all the cartoon pilots we can muster to fight off the evil axis of animated countries?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
But you run the risk of stepping in a gopher hole or a sheep print and breaking your ankle taking you off flight status for at least two weeks.  Isn't that a bad thing when we need all the cartoon pilots we can muster to fight off the evil axis of animated countries?
LOL :lol, all you do is get shot down and up a new plane/character and fight, I'm trying to get the landing sorted out between landing and on ditching on the field, doesn't really change if you're in your plane, on the field and get different messages. Like I said, it's better landing on the field than blowing up and dying, it shouldn't be different.

Jokers Jokers

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 01:22:26 PM »
it shouldn't be different.
It is though & that is the end of it. Sorry all your going to get is a beating a dead horse logo on this one.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »
glad you saw the humor in that

Well, as has been posted before, it's bee addressed in the past and it's been determined that you have to be on the concrete in an aircraft to count as a landing.  Everything else is a ditch and it's not likely to change in the near or far future.  I suppose you could send htc an email asking about it but I'm pretty sure you've got your answer already.

Now about those foo fighters.. we really need to mount a campaign for those.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
Because it's the rule! Why does 3 of a kind beat a pair? Because it's a rule!

In Aces High the RULE is you must land and stop on the runway to get a successful landing.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
Thrash, <S> Sir.

It is simple, stop on the pavement and it is a landing, stop on the dirt and it is a ditch.  Those are the rules sir.  It is more difficult to stay on the pavement, so you have a bigger reward for doing so.

As you can see by the replies, everyone seems to understand this and so far no one is supporting your opinion.  Pushing your point of view which disagrees with the rules and the opinions expressed by others may invite a vitrolic reply and my alienate you from the rest of the players.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »
In some situations, it's not that easy to land perfectly, especially if you have half a wing, even no ailerons and only control of rudder.
You dont like challenges I can see.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
Where's my B.S. flag?

Just an inch, eh?

I can post the screen shot of my succesful, one wing "landing" more than an inch off the runway if you like.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay