Author Topic: Landing on fields  (Read 1509 times)

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
Re: Landing on fields
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
Yea, the thing is, what's so much different from a ditch and a landing? You're in your plane, on the field, why can't they be the same? It's not like your a mile from base, then I can understand..

Quit whinning, it is one of the rules of the game.
Game is already getting to wussified. Off runnway
Is not a sucessful landing. :furious
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 03:21:23 PM »
I'm trying to get the landing sorted out between landing and on ditching on the field, doesn't really change if you're in your plane, on the field and get different messages....

The landing thing has been sorted out.. you simply have to choose to accept it.

I know the frustration of getting on the ground and having the plane slide ever so much off the runway and getting the ditch message.. when you're out of gas and you can't just move the plane around to end on the runway.

Most likely, once you've surrendered to the notion that the ditching rules aren't going to change, you'll venture to the wishlist forum and post how a fuel truck should go out to your plane and refuel you so you can then taxi to the runway.

Or a tow truck can come out and push you up to the runway.

Or a maintenance crew can come out, reattach necessary gear and functional engine parts so you can then taxi back to the runway.

Been there, done that.  After time, you will understand and accept that terminating your flight on the runway is a reward.  Fail to earn it, and you get a ditch.

Even if HTC extended the 'successful landing' boundary to be the entire surface area of the base perimeter, somebody will bemoan the fact they missed the perimeter by mere inches..  and it should count as a successful landing.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 03:24:11 PM »
by the way showing a Hooters waitress films of you landings and offering to let her come over to try out your joystick can get you slapped and shown the door.  Just sayin...
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
by the way showing a Hooters waitress films of you landings and offering to let her come over to try out your joystick can get you slapped and shown the door.  Just sayin...

You must be doing it wrong.  :lol
See Rule #4

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »
I agree..  If we're on the field we should get to land it...  I have literally skidded right up to the runway with 5 kills and got shafted.

happened last night 6 kills in a A8, I was shot up from combat and my right gear was stuck up, i landing fine maybe a foot or two off the side about midrunway and got a ditch, makes no sense, any landing you walk away from on an AF should be a successful landing
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
You were wheels down and couldn't land on the runway? Sounds like pilot error to me, no rule change required.

Wheels up landing and slid off the runway? sounds like pilot error too

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Yea, the thing is, what's so much different from a ditch and a landing? You're in your plane, on the field, why can't they be the same? It's not like your a mile from base, then I can understand..

If they aren't that much different, why are you fighting tooth and nail for it to be changed?  Line had been drawn, It'd just be redundant to say more.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »
Why are you making this more difficult, you recieved a ditch and less perks for the kills. Or did you miss you name in lights? Next time aim for the main pad.  Lots of concrete there.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
hem even in 1944 the allied fighter squadrons flew from more grass runways than concrete runways. As i believe that in war grass runways where easier and quiker to repair after bombing. And concrete runways where used for Medium to Heavy Bombers for Takeoff.

Thats why i Have allways believed the arenas should have a mix of Grass and Concrete runways as this was the case in WW2. And in the D/A where The Furball is as you can Only fly fighters from the Furball Bases then they should Be grass runways as they where more common for allied and axis front line fighters. OH and Grass runways where also pefered for if a Fighter Had to land wheels up then the impact was not so sever as a skilled pilot could land a damaged spit say for example wheels up and there be small minor airframe damage which could be repaired on the base. thus in 5 days say they have a Spit thats fully repaired and can be given to a new pilot that can get it shot down and have little or no worry as it was second hand :)

But Grass runways i belive should be introduced for Small bases and fighter bases. :)
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
but that's when it's fun to actually land ON the runway :D

Not just that. Its the entire point.
I think a better idea would be for any aircraft to land on anything but a runway or prepared landing area (Should HTC ever decided to go with historical type landing strips) The plane should suffer damage just as it might if it landed on soft earth. And that damages should be transfered to the lext time you try to take off. Up to and including not allowing that plane type being available to you the next time you try to take off.

With GVs. You cant "just land anywhere" unless there are no enemies in the vicinity.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
Looks like we got a broken record housed by a brick wall.  :bolt:

And thick wall at that.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
You must be doing it wrong.  :lol

This surprises anybody around here?  :lol
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »
Not just that. Its the entire point.
I think a better idea would be for any aircraft to land on anything but a runway or prepared landing area (Should HTC ever decided to go with historical type landing strips) The plane should suffer damage just as it might if it landed on soft earth. And that damages should be transfered to the lext time you try to take off. Up to and including not allowing that plane type being available to you the next time you try to take off.

With GVs. You cant "just land anywhere" unless there are no enemies in the vicinity.

I know a place that occasionally has dirt fields ;)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:37 AM »
Next time I skid a F-4U with half a wing, but still have both flaps, and a bad guy on my 6, into the GV hanger & land successfully, I hope I record it. I skidded short on grass right before the hanger. I Tried it several times. Only made it once with a tore-up plane. It makes you feel great. If it was easy, how good will you feel about your accomplishment? Not much I bet. We definitely live in the Me Me gimme gimme generation. I know it's irritating. All of us have done it. I just learned to not care about things out of my control. Care about things you can effect. Then do your best.  :old:  :aok
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »
Rules are rules. There has to be something to shoot for. Everyone is covered by the same rules.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)