Author Topic: New Rudder Axis control option  (Read 838 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
New Rudder Axis control option
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
It's likely not a big issue for most people, but I wish for a new option in controllers for Rudder:

Currently we have: "Yaw (Rudder)" and that's it for Rudder Axis control (not to be confused with the Rudder keyboard commands).  That means pedals have to be tied (virtually) together to utilize rudder, which is fine if there are only two pedals.  I have a new Pedal Set (not a normal "Rudder pedal" set) and it has three pedals and when Tied together in Logitech Software the Brake and Gas are 1 Axis.  This would be fine if the Brake wasn't so bloody tense and rather close to the Gas.

With the current controls there is no way to make Pedal A Rudder <direction> and Pedal B Rudder <direction #2>.  I wish for there to be, in addition to the current set-up, a "Yaw (Rudder) Right" and "Yaw (Rudder) Left" option in the Axis controls Set-up, if possible.

:salute
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: New Rudder Axis control option
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
What do you wish to happen if you pushed both at the same time?

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
What do you wish to happen if you pushed both at the same time?

Same thing that happens now, it centers.  I know people with actual rudder pedals wouldn't know what happens (due to the way they work) but with mine, and some others, where it's not a push-pull pedal effect both can be pressed simultaneously and it just centers the rudder (as if neither is being pressed).
May not be a realistic rudder set-up but it's not getting replaced anytime soon with its $300 price tag. :)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:46:25 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work to accomodate rare hardware...

I have one of those pedal sets with 2 depressing pedals but no sliding movement. It's definitely better than twisty stick, I guess.

I suppose.... given the software was handling it instead of the hardware potentiometers, that there might be some overhead for constantly polling and adjusting, but with some of these 2-pedals-acting-as-1-axis tie-ins we get problems with the center.

Hrm... you might be on to something. If I could calibrate each pedal individually that might help me fine-tune my centering issues.

On the other hand, it's probably better just to get some hardware meant for rudder work. Second hand analog CH pedals are cheap as heck these days.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 03:59:00 AM »
Maybe you could map the pedals to act as your A, S, and D keys instead? Sounds like it could work.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »

Same thing that happens now, it centers.  I know people with actual rudder pedals wouldn't know what happens (due to the way they work) but with mine, and some others, where it's not a push-pull pedal effect both can be pressed simultaneously and it just centers the rudder (as if neither is being pressed).
May not be a realistic rudder set-up but it's not getting replaced anytime soon with its $300 price tag. :)

The original CH gameport pedals were 2 separate pedals that you could push at the same time. They were better for driving.   :D

I expect Logitech lets you combine the brake and gas for sims that don't see them separately.

Since they're close together it might be easier to use one foot on both rather than both feet together since they're designed for "heel and toe" use.

Off topic but for driving heel and toe works better if you build up the front of the brake pedal a little. They shouldn't be aligned in the same plane since that doesn't give you enough braking when you blip the gas.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work to accomodate rare hardware...

On the other hand, it's probably better just to get some hardware meant for rudder work. Second hand analog CH pedals are cheap as heck these days.

262 and 163 were Rare Hardware. :P

Joking aside, after buying these pedals (part of the Logitech G27) we're not buying new pedals due to the mentioned price.  I know it may be hard to code, but this is a wishlist right? :)

Maybe you could map the pedals to act as your A, S, and D keys instead? Sounds like it could work.

That would basically mean mapping them through the Logitech Profiler which is a pain in the.... Plus I don't seem to be able to map anything to the Clutch Pedal through it, Software and Joysticks are things they could spend a little more time making.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
The original CH gameport pedals were 2 separate pedals that you could push at the same time. They were better for driving.   :D

I have a set of these CH pedals.  Other than being really oooold and losing calibration all the time they work fine.

I run them through a USB adaptor.  My main problem with them is the calibration range randomly changes from 0 to 6400 to 0 to 3200 randomly in a session where in the middle of a fight I will either have no rudder to one side or be stuck on full deflection to one side.

Otherwise, they work like rudder pedals.

How do the "driving" pedals show up in the controller list?  Have you tried calibrating them there?

I can't imagine even gas and brake pedals being all on or all off completely even in a driving game.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »
[. . .]
How do the "driving" pedals show up in the controller list?  Have you tried calibrating them there?

I can't imagine even gas and brake pedals being all on or all off completely even in a driving game.

wrongway

Assuming you mean mine (not sure since calibration isn't an issue for mine)
This is what it shows in AH:

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »

Assuming you mean mine (not sure since calibration isn't an issue for mine)
This is what it shows in AH:

(Image removed from quote.)

That's how my pedals are set up, more or less....Analog Inputs Yaw (Rudder).

32767 seems to be the "centered" position.  Do the numbers move when you step on the accelerator or brake?  One should move them towards 0, the other towards 65535.

Try clicking the "Advanced" tab and see if the actual and scaled bars move.

What OS are you running and did you calibrate there too?

It looks like what you have should be working for you as is.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »
The pedals work fine for rudder, that's not the issue (they worked fine with old pedals too).  I am wishing for separate Left and Right Yaw options so that I can tie the Clutch and Gas to Rudder and not the Gas and Brake (which is how Logitech ties them together for use as 1 axis in AH).  The Brake has more tension and is too close to the Gas pedal for comfortable Rudder use unlike the Clutch which is the same tension as Gas and farther from the Gas Pedal.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
The pedals work fine for rudder, that's not the issue (they worked fine with old pedals too).  I am wishing for separate Left and Right Yaw options so that I can tie the Clutch and Gas to Rudder and not the Gas and Brake (which is how Logitech ties them together for use as 1 axis in AH).  The Brake has more tension and is too close to the Gas pedal for comfortable Rudder use unlike the Clutch which is the same tension as Gas and farther from the Gas Pedal.

Oh.  That would seem to be a logitech issue then.

The only other idea I had was to assign both the clutch and gas pedals as yaw but only calibrate each one half way.  The clutch from 0 to 32767ish and the gas from 32767ish to 65535.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »
You can built your rudder pedals with the help of another joystick.

Look for it in internet

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
mobilis in mobile

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »
It's a good idea Lulu, but I don't have a spare joystick (although I do need a new one sometime).  If I had the money to spend to make a make-shift rudder set I'd likely just get a real set, but a whole other set of pedals would be more pain than it's worth (would require un-wiring the current pedals to move them over and over).