Author Topic: Why the Hordes?  (Read 23099 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Why the Hordes?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
So you are saying that jousting with the 110 is acceptable game play?

Yes it is. Absolutely.

Oh, it's not the high art of ACM, it may not be fine style, but it's far from being "not acceptable"

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
Eagle... while I do not disagree with much of what you said, I do disagree that simply porking troops will solve the problem.  It will reduce the horde from rolling bases, but the horde and the horde mentality still remain.  Many times (admittedly NOT ALL) the horde is NOT trying to capture.  They just horde over an enemy base looking to get as many vulch-picks as their bird has ammo and then fly home for atta-boys (like there is some awarded skill for shooting planes on the runway).

True - we do see a lot of capping of airfields for the vulchfest.  My solution for this has always been to up at the next field over and come in higher than the vulching horde. 

There is always a solution to the horde tactical problem - it just cannot be solved alone.  1 vs Horde = Death.  10 vs Horde = a helluva interesting fight.  The solution to the horde is to get some guys together and go fight it. 

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
Hordes feed the BEAST, when the horde is upon us the 2-3 kills I get compaired to the 200 I lose are well worth it. Even if it is only 2-3 hording vulchtards I send to the tower at least one ends in a whiiine. Then I just bask in the glowing warmth that I may have disrupted somebodys "fighter" score  :aok :aok

JUGgler
This  :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »
A horde isn't a horde....It's a MISSION. They flew missions in WW2 if im not mistaken. 1 person can't take a base. I often ask people if anyone wants to take a base with me, It's possible to take one with only 5-6 people. But anyways, I asked and sometimes get about 20-25 people. So it's not a horde to be mean, It's a tactic to take a base, sometimes by accident  :P

No a mission is a group with assigned duties to carry out. Telling everyone bomb the crap out of the base and town and then drop troops isn't a plan, nor a mission. Most likely half the guys will get there and seeing as everything has already had the crap blown out of it not be able to complete there mission.

So it up to you to NOT encourage the horde by pointing all of your volunteers at one target which you KNOW is over kill as you stated that you only NEED 5-6 to capture a base. So why not split your force and send 10 to capture a V base, and the other 15 to capture an airfield? You still have twice the numbers YOU believe you need. You have cut down a horde, you have created two fights, and more fun for both friend and foe alike.

I totaly agree with your leadership ethics there.

But I don't think I agree with the first part about paper bags or lemmings. A natural horde* will almost always have players of all skill levels in it.

The bit I think I fail to see the relevance of the most is the fact that the players skill level depicts what they are allowed to do in the game.

Furballing (or indeed, any aspect of the game) is for everyone. There is no skill requirement or fighting style requirement to be allowed to furball. Not being able to fight out of a wet paper bag is no reason to do anything but fly the game how you like. So I fail to see what you expect the 'skilless' to do about the horde issue. Leadership is a far better way of dictating how the MA gameplay works. I like your point there.

*natural horde -  a horde that forms without someone posting a mission for base capture.

I agree with what your saying, a furball is a different animal all together tho. Furbals or to use your term natural hordes form away from bases, and sometimes get pushed back to one base of the other as the numbers dwindle on one side. They rarely have any damage done to the town as nobody, or very few even think about a capture.

No the hordes I'm talking about are those with the expressed purpose of doing nothing but capturing a base in the quickest and easiest way possible. The hordes that have 30-40 people circling the base at less than 5k, half of them heavy waiting for someone to drop the troops.

The reason we have hordes like that is that a large portion of the AH player base would actually like to fly in a group and have some goals.  Do I think that the horde attracts newbies and players with less experience?  Yes, of course it does - and I don't think that is a bad thing.  Online games are about INTERACTION - if people want to fly in an endless air-spawning instant furball, they might as well go get a playstation.  The more friends you make, the more squads you fly missions with, the more likely it is that you might actually stay around beyond two weeks.

The horde now seems to meander about randomly.  Why?  Perhaps because the maps have NO strategic points that need to be guarded / actually mean anything.  In the past, when you had maps with strategic zone bases, I thought that the action picked up quite nicely as you got near to taking one.  

The solution to what to do vs a horde is the same as it ever was - just pork the troops at all the bases they can use to support their advance.  It doesn't take a lot of guys to do it, and it takes guys away from the horde if they have to continually resupply.

There is nothing wrong with flying as a group, the group on the other hand doesn't NEED to be 30-50 strong. Like Hitech said once people running in squads that by-pass the squad limit of 32 by having extra wings couldn't name everyone in the squad without reading them off a list. You can only make so many friends at a time. The same goes for these hordes, cut them in half, switch up the groups on each successive missions and everyone gets to fly with everyone.

Killing troops is like when they could pork fuel to 25% it just kills the fight, or moves it. I love seeing missions, why would any one want to stop them from happening?  Missions are fun to defend against, and participate in. Like I said a mission has goals, purpose, and directives. A horde just steam rolls with the only direction "XX base is next"

I'm saying obviously it must be fun for them otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Sure it was fun to finger paint, then someone taught me to use a brush, and guess what, now it's a LOT MORE fun!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »

The horde now seems to meander about randomly.  Why?  Perhaps because the maps have NO strategic points that need to be guarded / actually mean anything.  In the past, when you had maps with strategic zone bases, I thought that the action picked up quite nicely as you got near to taking one.  

I miss the Zone Base fights and the Scattered Strats we had in 2008  :(
Getting your hands on a Zone base when there was equal numbers fighting over it was the best feeling ever. I remember once, on a day off from work i sat upping time after time trying to help get a cap over such a base, next thing i knew we finally got it and 3 or 4 hours had past. All I can say is the celebration of accomplishment was a nice ice cold beer and the biggest smile it'd hurt your face a little  :D
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »

No the hordes I'm talking about are those with the expressed purpose of doing nothing but capturing a base in the quickest and easiest way possible. The hordes that have 30-40 people circling the base at less than 5k, half of them heavy waiting for someone to drop the troops.

Sounds like my idea of heaven though! Seriously  :) I'd be straight in a well armed plane and heading there a few thousand feet higher than them or perhaps even rolling some vulch bait in the hopes of hoing someone while still rolling down the runway.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
Sounds like my idea of heaven though! Seriously  :) I'd be straight in a well armed plane and heading there a few thousand feet higher than them or perhaps even rolling some vulch bait in the hopes of hoing someone while still rolling down the runway.

:devil well truely thats what I try to do. Unfortunately for me I need to stay on a target a bit longer as my aim is so poor, which burns my "E" a bit faster, and then there is always that one LA or pony circling around 10k over the other just looking to pick guys like me. Like I said, the flights always end the same with 6-7 guys killing me, just how many I got before they got me is the only difference. :D

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
If this thread makes it past 4 pages....

:lol

[In-Game: Amaazee]
Road to Rangoon 2011
Überprüfung Sechs

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
you know i thought it was kinda backwards, i always thought the knits and the rooks ganged up on the bishops. Kinda funny though, bishops hardly ever have a horde

RedTail

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
Simple answer to having more people defend against a horde.

Reward people for putting themselves in a disadvantage. I dont know what a coding nightmare it would be to get data when you come out of 2v1 or 3v1, but having a system that encourages people to put themselves in that situation will help.

I stopped trying to be the hero. 10 times out of 10, the horde is on the way if I get shot down, I wont give them free kills.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 04:35:57 PM »
Kinda funny though, bishops hardly ever have a horde

That was kinda funny, i always see Bish in a Horde 
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
you know i thought it was kinda backwards, i always thought the knits and the rooks ganged up on the bishops. Kinda funny though, bishops hardly ever have a horde

No matter which country you are, it's always them hording us, and as everybody knows, they do never fight each other
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
Why the hordes?
Simple - Human nature.

You can try to change it (but your on a hiding to nothing).
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »
Kev! Hi sir!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
Kev has a point..It is human nature.Just get out on the highwyas and u will see it in action..You will see packs of cars driving together,and the one which is flying up to the next BUNCH on the highway..(these are the people who usually get the tickets)...So that out of the way..

OK lets say on the map last night,5-6 people go to take the base,now the base will have at LEAST that up if not MORE,dont deny it,it happens,see it all the time.so 8 people up against the 5-6,3 of the original get shot down who were in the missioon for the field,and that leaves 2-3,lest say 2 of the 8 got shot down,that leaves 6,so now the numbers are 6 defending,2-3 trying to capture..NOW!!!!!

iT GOES OUT ON COUNTRY THAT THE FLAG IS WHITE at so and so base,and well,you got u a FB and it is going to take more than the 5-6 original to take the field,...HAPPENS on EVERY SIDE fugi....Then what happens??? see above paragraph about human nature.