Author Topic: WIn2K autoshutdown  (Read 401 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« on: July 25, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
OK, I'm probably looking at all the wrong places but what happened to the Search feature? Can't find it anywhere...

Anyhow: I know ACPI should be enabled in BIOS for Win2K to autoshutdown. But I forgot to check it before the install and now this stupid Dell does not want to shut itself down automatically. Is there anything I could do retrospectively to cure the stupid thing?

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
I know u can disable ACPI in win2k, but i doubt u can enable it.  Most likely u need a reinstall.

However, if u would like to try the disable-thing "in reverse order" the procedure is listed below. It might be a slim chance that it works....

Trying this will probably screw up your system and force u to reinstall/reformat, but anyway:

Set ACPI to enabled in bios.

Boot up and:

Find "Standard PC" in Device manager,click "driver"-tab and select update driver.  

Then select "Display a list of the known drivers" - Select "show all hardware of this device class".

Hopefully it will list "ACPI PC".  If not, nothing can be done...  (havent tested this for obvious reasons -hopefully its an option  :confused: )

Anyway, select "ACPI PC", press ok, and reboot as prompted.

Get set for hardware wizard mayhem...

Original procedure listed below:

I got this from the "Paul's Unofficial ABIT KT7 FAQ" at http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm

(The FAQ is for an AMD board so the rest of it is useless for u)

Under Windows 2000 you can disable ACPI from within Windows as follows:

Go to Device Manager and select Computer -> Properties of ACPI PC
Click the driver Tab and choose Update Driver
When the wizard gets to the "What do you want the wizard to do?" page select "Display a list of the known drivers..."
Then "Show all hardware of this device class"
Then select "Standard PC"
Reboot the machine
When Windows 2000 restarts it'll redetect most of the hardware in your machine again and reassign IRQ's to them, turning off ACPI.

Good Luck!   :D

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: bigUC ]
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
Oh! ...and could I pls get some feedback on this lynx, if u decide to try it out?   :)
Thx
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
*guinea pigs are off to try it...*
  ;)

OK, they are back, the guinea pigs that is - it's not the way to do it is all I'm prepared to say at the moment  :)

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: -lynx- ]

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2001, 10:23:00 AM »
<makes a note in his files, shaking head...>
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
You should never turn off ACPI in win2k once it's installed.  The system will not be stable.

The only safe way to do it is to disable ACPI in the bios before installing win2k to begin with.

(There is not really any reason to turn it off though IMO, your devices aren't really sharing the interupts like many people think.  ACPI is different than the win9x based OSs.)

On that Autoshutdown thing, I've never tried it, or seen a computer do it, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
Okies, running Autorecovery brought the puter back to life intact. Now I have a Uniprocessor ACPI PC with ACPI turned on in BIOS and still no Autoshutdown :(...

Thanks bigUC anyway - I'll write the bastards themselves - we did by the multiuser licence from them, now I want support :D Hmmm... Getting support from a Microsoft Support Professional (surely it's an oxymoron) do I feel lucky? DO I??? ;)

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Glad you made it out alive  :D As long as people don't have my phone number i'm glad to dish out useless advice...

A couple of other things I got from the net:
1) Have you assigned an irq to your VGA in the bios?
2) Make sure your NIC got an network cable connected.

And btw: does MS really provide support?  How can they make money then?  :D

cya
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
WIn2K autoshutdown
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
OK, conclusion (and, hopefully, solution):

What I'd found looking at those guys without a problem was that all machines (5) did not have an APM tab in the Power Options (Control panel). And all those which did have a problem (2) had a APM tab there. The box "Enable APM" was unchecked... *drums roll* As soon as I checked the stupid box the problem went away. Simple, eh?

I appreciate that my sample size is not in any way representative - but hey, "scientists" are predicting whole CJD (human form of mad cow disease) epidemy using smaller samples  ;) - on the other hand, it worked for me and didn't require major efforts.

OK, quick test: uncheck "Enable APM" - requires re-start and autoshutdown is not working. Check the little bugger again - no re-start and all is fine and dandy - it dies like it's supposed to   :)

BTW, all of the above has no effect on APM in BIOS!!!

It's amazing how simple some things are when you figure out how to do them!   :D

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: -lynx- ]