Author Topic: Your best landings with parts missing?  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Smkn

• Zinc Member
Re: Your best landings with parts missing?
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »

Most of these pictures look like bad landings that RESULTED in missing parts. (You don't fly missing 1/2 your fuselage)
THIS B-17 however, flew back to base and landed missing BOTH wings and all control surfaces but Rudder and Left Elevator. Happened a year ago or so. It was a brutal, BRUTAL flight back. Lost the left wing to gunfire, lost the other wing to a 190 ram. Was trying to keep her level with most of my tail shot off, when one of the planes I had previously killed (out of 4 that run) re-upped. Horrible shot, he flew in too fast for the wounded, diving buff. Missed most of the shots but plowed right into the right wing. Which, wonderfully, made the plane easy(er) to fly. With altitude running out, I landed this battered beast at the hot front-line base. Took a few pics, and landed her!

I strongly do NOT recommend ever trying this again..... hurts your rudder wrist.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
^ hahaha that's a good one  :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Flifast

• Copper Member
      • Claim Jumpers

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
ill post a film, this is sick i was in a corsair and i got a mossi and then went for this m3 somehow during the explosion of the m3 i got a pw and engine oil then engine quit. Lucky enough i was on a down hill slope towards the base, during the blackouts i would let gear down and finally almost there in a blackout i hit the ground, cart wheeled the plane landed backwards going down the hill. Hit f3 mode and looked back, TREES!! I break a horizonal stab. And both of half the wings. Im steering with the rudder backwards and shooting the guns to make me go faster down the hill. I get 1 final blackout and i wake up on the runway lol. 2 victories definetly saved the film. Ill edit and post it

RedTail

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
P-38 with no ailerons (had to use engines to turn  :lol )
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
My best landing was about a year ago, I was winging w a squaddy both of us in 262's, we fly 1 sector to a furball by a nme base, there was about 3 rook cvs right by the Abase n 2 went down quick also my squaddy, i managed to get 3 kills n had a oil hit n a fuel leak, tried to run but there was about 15 nme w more alt than me and i had to land on our cv, while turning to the cv to land a nme comes screaming in guns ablazing and he augers n i get a PW and a stablizer missin, was going too fast to land on cv safely and i hit the cv at a freak angle n i end up missin a wing then i end up in the water thinking i died, but no YOU DIED text on screen so i ended sortie quickly and i got the safe landing n no death or ditch LOL  :x
wish i had a film of it but i dont  :cry
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »
I've flown long distances landed a P-51 several times with half of one wing missing.  what worked for me was keeping the speed as high as possible until approach and keeping it rolled slightly to the side with the entire wing.  The moment you roll much to the side with the missing wing it's back to the tower.  I've also landed one once with no elevators (and also crashed several times with no elevators). I found flying with no elevators is much harder than with half a wing missing.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »
Condor, if you roll out a notch of flaps, then another, until you have full flaps out, it significantly increases lif and decreases the wing dip. US planes are the easiest to land without a wingtip.

Now, a Ki84, or a Fw190... THOSE are harder! The flaps don't come out until you're almost stalled. Takes a bit of finessing, controlled stalling at nose high angles, etc.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:18 PM »
Best landing I have made thus far:

Landing on top of a bomber does in fact register as a successful landing by the way. :) It's a shame there was no fire in this incident. :o
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
Bah... I think you all should start differentiating between DAMAGED landings... Where you have to use skill to overcome combat damage and land safely... and BAD LANDINGS, where you are perfectly intact and about to touch down then through no skill of your own survive a horrible wreck.

There's a big difference from the B-25 missing parts landing to the A6M on perfect landing that clips a tree 10 feet up and ditches safely.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »
Landing Gear optional. What's the best landing you've pulled off? (Not ditch)

Mine were: B26 with both elevators gone, and 190Dora missing part of a wing.

Spit V with 1/2 a right wing
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »
Impossible landing: Best there ever was in a bomber. Lots of excitement and suspense..will he or won't he make it?

http://download395.mediafire.com/1k1jsc89j22g/yzjvkw155mf/impossible+landing.ahf

:joystick:

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 12:06:45 AM »
You forgot to mention your flaps, which seem just fine......  :salute

Most of these pictures look like bad landings that RESULTED in missing parts. (You don't fly missing 1/2 your fuselage)
THIS B-17 however, flew back to base and landed missing BOTH wings and all control surfaces but Rudder and Left Elevator. Happened a year ago or so. It was a brutal, BRUTAL flight back. Lost the left wing to gunfire, lost the other wing to a 190 ram. Was trying to keep her level with most of my tail shot off, when one of the planes I had previously killed (out of 4 that run) re-upped. Horrible shot, he flew in too fast for the wounded, diving buff. Missed most of the shots but plowed right into the right wing. Which, wonderfully, made the plane easy(er) to fly. With altitude running out, I landed this battered beast at the hot front-line base. Took a few pics, and landed her!

I strongly do NOT recommend ever trying this again..... hurts your rudder wrist.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 12:08:26 AM »
Last thing in the world I want to do is agree with Krusty........ But this well respected enemy is 100% correct. 

Bah... I think you all should start differentiating between DAMAGED landings... Where you have to use skill to overcome combat damage and land safely... and BAD LANDINGS, where you are perfectly intact and about to touch down then through no skill of your own survive a horrible wreck.

There's a big difference from the B-25 missing parts landing to the A6M on perfect landing that clips a tree 10 feet up and ditches safely.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2011, 02:11:51 AM »

Not all, just some. Mine was all combat related.  :joystick:
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech