Author Topic: Hawk problem  (Read 2271 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Hawk problem
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 08:32:53 PM »
I live out in the boonies, if I shoot it noone will see nor care.

Not to smart are you.  Epically posting that statement on here where somebody going to call the game warden in your area. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »
Bofors 40mm
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
If you do decide to shoot the poor animal, get it done right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdb_G2qqg7I

-Penguin

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »
Not to smart are you.  Epically posting that statement on here where somebody going to call the game warden in your area. 

easy Oak..

I've lived out in the boonies where that statement holds true.  He's trying to do it right. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »

Oh I'm sorry, I guess it's just hard to believe that I could be a little peeved because it killed 4 of our pets.

I've already made it clear that I don't want to shoot it, but if I do, no one will know. I asked for other ideas, if i wanted to shoot it i would have already done it.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
Easy Tup..  :)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
Oh I'm sorry, I guess it's just hard to believe that I could be a little peeved because it killed 4 of our pets.

I've already made it clear that I don't want to shoot it, but if I do, no one will know. I asked for other ideas, if i wanted to shoot it i would have already done it.

OK, here is a little commend sense for you,  "I've already made it clear that I don't want to shoot it, but if I do, no one will know." .   If you have not figure this out, a lot of ppl on here see that and somebody can report you in.  What will you say to the game warden when they show up at your place with a tip on of a possible illegal raptor shooting and copy of your statement you made oh here.  Kind of hard to get out of that and a lot of ppl can used $5,000.00 these now in days. 

Like i and a few said call the wildlife and park.  We have them for a reason, your problem is one of them. Don't take the matter in your own hands.   :salute
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
The best way to get rid of them is to remove the food source.  There are a few problem with shooting them, even beyond the legal issues.

For one, it's very common to believe that the hawk you see is the one doing the killing.  That's basically how redtails got the misnomer "chicken hawk" in the first place.  A coopers hawk hunts by stealth, and sneaks in and kills a chicken.  Farmer hears a ruckus, and looks out to see the redtail carving circles in the sky...

If it is actually a redtail doing the killing, is it just one?  Or one of a pair?  Is just one doing the killing, or are both?

You're in an area that ends up with a lot of birds at this time of year, due to the migration.  They're all doing their best to survive, in a tough world (65% of redtails die before they reach one year of age, on average, only 5% make it to 5 years old, and they don't breed until they're 3 years old).  To survive, they need food and habitat.  Apparently, your yard offers something they need.  If it didn't, they wouldn't be interested in it.

If you kill the hawk, what's to stop another one from being attracted to the easy food source?

Trapping and relocating is unlikely to work.  I've trapped a LOT of hawks, and even some falcons (I'm licensed).  If you don't know what you're doing, you'll probably fail, or injure the bird, or break feathers (which could easily sentence it to death).  If you do succeed, and don't wreck the bird, how far away do you intend to move it?  What stops it from coming back?  Keep in mind, it may just be visiting your area after a flight from as far away as Canada.  Moving it a county or two away isn't a big obstacle for it...  Especially if the food is good at your place.  If it does stay away, we're back to the question of what stops another from moving in?

Dealing with wildlife causing problems with domestic animals is nothing new.  Predators have been shot, trapped, poisoned, etc, for a LONG time.  It's proven itself to be ineffective until the overall population is reduced, not just the currently-offending individual.  I live in the country.  I have chickens and ducks, pigeons and hawks.  The local hawks have sometimes killed my critters.  It's a small price to pay, IMO, to live as I do.  I choose to protect my critters from predators, rather than remove the predators.

Locking your chickens up, thereby removing the food source, is really the best long-term option.  How many do you have?  Do they need to free-range?  If so, have you seen the "drag" cages used for producing meat-chickens on non-commercial levels?  Basically they're an 8x12ft bottomless cage about 2 feet tall.  Keep the chickens in it, and just drag it over a few feet each day, to give them fresh ground.  The water dishes can hang from chains inside.  The chickens are protected, but still get benefits not offered by keeping them cooped.  Letting them run loose is really just an attractive nuisance.  What self-respecting predator would pass them up?  How could they know they weren't supposed to eat them?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
Wouldn't it just be easier to put a cover on the chicken pen? Pardon the pun but use chicken wire...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
I'm gonna buy one of those big plastic owls and set it up. I understand that it is a bird of prey, and it's just doing what god intended it to do, but it needs to stay away from my house. We hatched these chickens and raised them, they all have names and it really hurts to lose them. I had to shoot one yesterday because the hawk tore a big hole in it's side, my mom saw the hawk attack itt and ran out to chase it off and it flew away before it could finish off the chicken.  Please understand where I'm coming from. I'm trying to explore all my options. If someone reports me, so be it. I haven't done anything.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »
I'm gonna buy one of those big plastic owls and set it up. I understand that it is a bird of prey, and it's just doing what god intended it to do, but it needs to stay away from my house. We hatched these chickens and raised them, they all have names and it really hurts to lose them. I had to shoot one yesterday because the hawk tore a big hole in it's side, my mom saw the hawk attack itt and ran out to chase it off and it flew away before it could finish off the chicken.  Please understand where I'm coming from. I'm trying to explore all my options. If someone reports me, so be it. I haven't done anything.

Was the injury bird that bad that you had to put it down?  Or could you taken it to the vet?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
OK, here is a little commend sense for you,  "I've already made it clear that I don't want to shoot it, but if I do, no one will know." .   If you have not figure this out, a lot of ppl on here see that and somebody can report you in.  What will you say to the game warden when they show up at your place with a tip on of a possible illegal raptor shooting and copy of your statement you made oh here.  Kind of hard to get out of that and a lot of ppl can used $5,000.00 these now in days. 

Like i and a few said call the wildlife and park.  We have them for a reason, your problem is one of them. Don't take the matter in your own hands.   :salute

Here's a little COMMON sense for you, he has done nothing illegal.  Let the warden show up to his house, without a dead bird and proof that he shot it there's nothing they can do.  There is nothing "to get out of".  Go ahead and actually call the wardens, let them know that on the intardnet some kid said that if he shot a bird, no one would know.  They take a lot of flak, I'm sure a free chuckle would do them good.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
Was the injury bird that bad that you had to put it down?  Or could you taken it to the vet?

We have a family friend that is a vet, and she came over and said the bird needed to be put down. We didn't think it was that bad, but the vet lifted her wing up and her side was cut wide open, you could see all her ribs. It was really sad, but we gave her a good life, and I find comfort in that.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »
Oak

Please chill bro.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:42 PM »
QUit being a wuss take a shotgun and off the bird and while your at it deal with the oakranger....

Orrr let the chickens that survive continue training to become top fighters in chinatown