Author Topic: Hawk problem  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Hawk problem
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »
I was never in FFA, but I was in 4H shooting sports for awhile. Never really got into the animal side of 4H, I just enjoy raising animals.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 12:52:48 AM »
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

My favorite organisation, you could even call me a fundamentalist.  :devil

-Penguin
plants arent food.
plants feed food.
 :devil

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 02:29:47 AM »
IM gonna try to be civil......im glad you dont want to shoot the Hawk...if I was in your position I would grab a camara and take some amazing photos of an absolutly beautifull bird doing its thing, chickins are food not  hawks, unless of course its a survival thing, then anything goes...seriously I think like others said remove the food source, chickins for pets....im still tryin to wrap my head around that one.....chickins are food....taste great cooked right, somethings are just ment to be eaten and other things are ment to eat, such as that Hawk, I would take some photos and be happy that I was givin the gift of watching such a magnifacent creature.     my .02$

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »
I had the same issue but different. Herons stealing the coy out of my fishpond. All i did was build a mesh fence around it. They make the mesh in flouresent orange or black,(better landscape stores should have it or look on line. All you would need is some posts to attach it to I used ( 4x4s), and "cap" the chickens area with it. Just make sure you get a mesh thats small enough to not allow the hawk to get tangled up in.(dont want to hurt the bird) The mesh is dirt cheap,and if you can use a post hole digger and a staple gun,your set. If you have a larger area,its available in some pretty wide widths, or overlap the seams and zip tie them together.(you might need an extra support or two depending onthe size of the area.

I wouldnt think that you would need it on the sides, just the top. Depending on the size of your area,you should be able to do it for about $100 +/-

Worked wonders for my fish pond. And after a month or so, the herons figured out that the free meal was gone,and i was able to break it down easy and put it in the poll barn for future use
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:38:11 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 06:06:53 AM »
I love chooks, absolutely love them. But I also love birds of prey. I would be mortified at losing my chooks. But on the other hand if I lived in America I would try to do what Mountain man does.

I would not be the proprietor of the Falcons food source. I would be the proprietor of a Falcon who loves to hunt and loves to soar.

They are truly majestic creatures.

This is a film I got of one, I sound like David Attenborough. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFoTTdEbZrQ
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 06:54:48 AM »
We have a hawk that has killed 4 of our chickens, and I was wondering how I could deal with it. I can't get a nuisance permit, and I can't shoot him (Well I could, but I'd like to avoid jail)

Has anyone had a problem with them before, and what is the best way to get rid of him?

It's probably from an AH member who is seeking revenge for you closing down the Wednesday Babe threads.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 07:15:50 AM »
Have you thought about a "plug in" scarecrow? 

I read an article in pop science a year or so ago that talked about scarecrows that actually moved their arms if anything got within range of a motion sensor.  Pretty sure it uses DC but it might have been a heavy duty battery. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
They make fake Owls for this reason. get a couple fake owls and mount them in a couple different places around the chicken coop. Or try the WhirlyBird.

WhirlyBird:
http://whirlybirdrepeller.com/wordpress/
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
chickins for pets....im still tryin to wrap my head around that one

I worked for a vet that had chickens, geese, and ducks. Greenest grass around and nary a bug (especially ticks) to be found along with fresh eggs every morning. Need a watch dog to keep other dogs out of your yard ... get a couple, 3 geese ... they are bad bellybutton in a group.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
I was never in FFA, but I was in 4H shooting sports for awhile. Never really got into the animal side of 4H, I just enjoy raising animals.

That is cool.  You have any pics of them?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
That is cool.  You have any pics of them?

No, but I'll take some today.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
killing any bird of prey to protect a chicken is about as oxymoronic as it gets.

Thats like killing a Bengal Tiger to protect a mouse.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
Are your chickens free roaming? or are they in a enclosed cage/pen ? if there in a enclosed pen and the top is open you can buy 1/4 x 1/4 plastic netting that you can stretch over the top, it will keep the chickens from being attack by hawks or any other predatory bird, my chickens were free roaming till i had a hawk problem, then i built a 25x25 outside pen off of there coop and covered the top with the netting, problem solved, it took sometime for the Hawks to realize there free meals were over, but once they learned they couldnt get in they never came back
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 11:27:48 AM »
killing any bird of prey to protect a chicken is about as oxymoronic as it gets.

Thats like killing a Bengal Tiger to protect a mouse.

facepalm.jpg

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
Slap~ now that does sound cool, I like the idea of fresh eggs every day, I figured that was what the chickins were for.......geese are a whole differant thing, there was a house that had a few when I walked to school in 7th grade they were very awesome but would attack ya if ya got to close lol