Author Topic: Upgrading MB and processor and PSU  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Upgrading MB and processor and PSU
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »
I was thinking of upgrading my MB, processor and PSU and I was wondering if this is a good combo to use.

MB and procsessor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.581363

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817610008

everything else I have is great but I want to upgrade my speed and later on I am thinking of upping my RAM to DDR3 or 4

any suggestions will be considered.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Upgrading MB and processor and PSU
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »
Personally, I prefer Intel processors. That's mainly because they run faster, use less wattage and remain cool. Best of all, the latest line of Intel processors are easy to overclock offering higher processing speeds.

I won't comment on the Power Supply Unit, as I haven't kept up to date on those products within the last 6 months. Generally, if it's 80+ certified, it's worth a second look. However, I'm going to let experts chime in on that one.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
I was thinking of upgrading my MB, processor and PSU and I was wondering if this is a good combo to use.

MB and procsessor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.581363

Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817610008

everything else I have is great but I want to upgrade my speed and later on I am thinking of upping my RAM to DDR3 or 4

any suggestions will be considered.

LawnDart

excellent combo there for the price.
however, you would need DDR3 w/ that AM3 motherboard.
DDR2 wouldnt work on that one.

AMD is fine, unless you prefer to jackoff to bentmarks all day.  :aok

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »
So if I look into a intel combo it would work better?? The only reason is I have 2 470 vid cards slid and I want to get the maximum prefomance out of them. I know I have to upgrade my power supply.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »
So if I look into a intel combo it would work better?? The only reason is I have 2 470 vid cards slid and I want to get the maximum prefomance out of them. I know I have to upgrade my power supply.

sandy bridge? good luck with that.
pay extra $$$ for silicon you wont use (.i.e. the crappy GPU part).
besides, intel's SB GPU barely performs better than AMD's netbook offerings.

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
The debate rages on...

"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
Maybe I ought to get skuzzy and tds advice on this one

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
Maybe I ought to get skuzzy and tds advice on this one

There are a LOT of factors involved in the AMD vs. Intel debate.  It all really depends on what you use the computer for.

GENERALLY SPEAKING Intel is going to perform better than AMD.  If you were to match their clock speeds, cache, cores, etc.. etc.. I believe Intel would outperform AMD.  How much is always up for debate.

Also GENERALLY SPEAKING, AMD is going to provide a better "bang for the buck" than Intel.  If you were to match a $75 AMD processor up against a $75 Intel processor, the AMD would likely blow it away.

If price is a big concern with you and you have a budget to stay within, then go AMD.  If you'd rather have more solid performance regardless of price, then go Intel.  To be honest, I'm not convinced Intel is absolutely the way to go anymore, ESPECIALLY for a budget build.

Where memory is concerned, AFAIK DDR4 isn't yet available... so DDR3 is what you're going to want to get.  Get the fastest RAM your motherboard supports.

The links you post to price out at almost $700 just for those three components.  Add memory in the mix and it could go up significantly higher.  Are you sure you need that 1100 Watt power supply?  I wouldn't automatically dismiss that brand, but Seasonic is known for quality, long lasting units and they have an 850 Watt for almost half the price.  Just an idea in case you forgot to budget for memory.  Just remember, DO YOUR RESEARCH before purchasing a power supply.  You can easily get burned with a cheap one.

So you have to tell us... what are your intentions?  What is your budget?  What all do you use your system for?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:29 PM »
for what I understand the new sandy bridge cpus smoke the more expensive i7's 1366 and are not really more expensive than the regular 1366 cpu's.  true they have a crappy gpu, then again all mobo's have a crappy built in sound and that's why you get a sound card.  take a look at this two similarly priced  cpus.  I believe the sandy bridge is faster for what I have read.

i5 650 3.2 $182  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115220
i5 2400 3.1 sandy bridge $194 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

but since you are rich take a look at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070.  me i gotta wait for my gf to allow me to buy it.  probably will have to work my butt off for it.

still waiting for ripley to come in here and help us decide which cpus is better.

one thing to considere lawn is that skuzzy says he has more problems with amd based systems than with intel based systems.

semp
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:22:54 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »
TD will not be commenting in this one.  However if you take someone's advice on incorrect opinion of the Sandy Bridge CPU, you are a fool.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
Ok I guess to let you kbow right now my 1st priority is to get my psu upgraded, going off the sugesstion of the newegg site with what I have in my rig now it says I need at least 970 watts for optimum running. Right now all I have is an 850 watt supply and it is straining to keep up. So the first route probably is to upgrade my psu and see if that will help my preformance.

LawnDart

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »
WOW

you need 970 watts for your current PC configuration????

what are your PC specs? that your 850 watt PSU will not keep up with at this time?

also what brand PSU do you currently have ( & model # ) is it multi 12v rails or possibly just a single 12V rail..... just because it says it is 850 watts does not mean it produces 850 watts continously.......

tell us all what you currently have as a PC system

and then tell us all where you are wanting to go / get to .......

as for AMD vs INTEL   that is something "YOU" need to decide on for yourself......... each and everyone of us other individuals will give you our own bias'd answers to what we think works better

the INTEL/AMD  & the NVIDIA/ATI   battles have raged for 10/15/20 + years.......... doubt it ever stops until all 4 of these finally merge into one big monopoly   :devil

anyways...... what do you have now?   what do you want to have next?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »
OK here is my specs hopefully I do justice,

MSI P45 platinum MB

Intel quad core q8400 @2.66 (4 cpus) @ 2.77

8 gig of ddr2

dual GTX 470 1280MB PCIe - PNY version that are slid

dual seagate 1tb harddrives that are linked with 500 gig as back up (72000 RPM i believe)

1 DVD drive

Logitech g35 headset , g940 flight system

triple 23 inch HD LCD displays

per Newegg it says I need 970 wats to run properly right now

my current power supply is
Thermaltake Tt TR2 RX 850W ATX 12V 2.2 Modular Power Supply Unit

so I was always one to belive if you need 10 feet of string it is best to get 12, just in case.

I hope this helps

My current case is the Antec 900 with a 200mm TriCool fan on the top, two 120mm front blue LED fans, one 120mm rear fan all run at seperate sppeeds according to cooling purposes.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:19:36 PM by ebfd11 »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »
lawndart,

Is the 500 gig 7200rpm backup an External HardDrive?  USB connect?

also, are you including the 3 LCD monitors in your calculations at newegg to find your power needed?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
TD will not be commenting in this one.  However if you take someone's advice on incorrect opinion of the Sandy Bridge CPU, you are a fool.

Why'd TD decide to stop posting in the AH forum anyway?  If it's personal, then I'll mind my own business.  Just curious.

Oh yeah, (anti-hijack), AMD is good...  Intel is good... 
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com