Author Topic: NIGHT OF THE HUNTER - Anyone interested?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
Re: NIGHT OF THE HUNTER - Anyone interested?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 06:10:10 AM »
So with this and that, looking for fights and finding hordes, I've been thinking - wouldn't it be nice to have an occasional event in which those whose interests were mostly air to air flew a Grand Sortie together? Sort of a horde-countering-horde?

Now I'm not talking about a grand alliance to end the scourge of <fill in the blank>. The arguably negative trends some see in AH are likely there for reasons beyond our control (the game's built in incentives, the ACM's crazily steep learning curve, Quake mentality, "kids these days"....whatever).

Anyway, it is what it is, and I'm for dealing with reality rather than bemoaning it.

So, like I said, what if a couple dozen or even a half dozen guys who know their way around a cockpit picked a country, took off together, and arrived together as HordeBusters with the simple goal of shooting down red planes. Yeah, if there were wingman tactics that would be great - but back to dealing with reality - lone wolf attacking, kill stealing, shoulder shooting and so forth would be fun too. By getting there together we'd all have a better chance of having some fun without getting a 1v20 "death-by-being-smothered-with-barking-toothless-baby-seals" that usually awaits fights in a horde.

And it would work for all types, from the in the dirt mudders to the pick 'em from the top down killstreakers.

Thoughts?

we used to have mission leaders arrange with other country mission leaders to arrange a horde vs horde... and in diff planes... like spit 16s vs 109k4s, a6ms vs f4us....i think for rooks the mission leader was whiskey or wasp3... that was like a t least 2-3 yeras ago... never had that since... would be nice to tho... horde vs horde..
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
Isnt this essentially the wonderful game called "Fighter Sweep" with Sim's caveats?  Sounds good

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
Count me in.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »
Interesting idea.  Hordes are incredibly hard to truly "bust."  Even if the skill of the horde pilots is low, they can still be incredibly successful at base taking against skilled opposition because the game mechanics actually encourage suicide.  In other words, it is more effective to drop bombs and die so you can re-up immediately, and anyone can blow by a bunch of defenders in a heavy P-51 or Typhoon.  If you truly want to cramp the real estate crowd, then you have to take out the ordnance at all of their proximate airfields, and hit the strat that resupplies them.  But then where is your fighter sweep? :)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 09:35:37 AM »
*head bang

didn't consider that.

I was thinking when the sun went down in the central us. :D

it never goes down in the central US..just sorta flys over  :)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »
I guess that's what I meant by not worrying about "defending" or "changing the land grab." Those issues are bigger than we can solve, and are driven by forces stronger than a fighter sweep can address. And like you said - a different death ethic (one side cares if they die, the other doesn't) makes it harder.

Instead, I'm more or less thinking "Fine, they have their base taking. WE like shooting up bad guys, but it'd be more fun for us if there were enough hunters to keep the rest of the zerglings from interfering with my fight."

Bottom line - Even if they take the base, we have fun.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
OK - how would this Sunday pm, 2100 EST/1800 PST work out?

Anticipate assessing the arenas then and picking an arena and country that matches the situation.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
I generally take the weekends off but I'm in Sim.  I've been considering doing an MA run just to see how my SA is currently so this sounds like a grand time to do it.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
The game needs more people like Sim to return, great attitude and proactive.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
The amount of class and intellect definitely went up a measurable level upon his return.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
I've done this plenty.  Unfortunately what I find most of the time is that when you match a horde with equal opposition, the weaker of the two hordes will quit, leaving one horde bashing the remnants of the previous horde.  This is not always the case, but it sucks when you roll a horde busting mission just to become the very thing you were fighting against.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
Well, then, let's make it a go for this Sunday, tomorrow, at 2100 EST

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
I don't really take part in missions and haven't for years now but on two recent occasions I set up fighter sweep missions to clear out some heavily attacked fields.  One of these we took off with 28 Spit IX's and after a few minutes it was hard to find someone to kill.  The other time was about 16 Spit IX's and we didn't fare as well.  You never know who's going to sign up for a mission or how good or bad they might be.  

Anyway they were both fun and seeing all those Spits in the air was awsome.

I've done this plenty.  Unfortunately what I find most of the time is that when you match a horde with equal opposition, the weaker of the two hordes will quit, leaving one horde bashing the remnants of the previous horde.  This is not always the case, but it sucks when you roll a horde busting mission just to become the very thing you were fighting against.

Much truth in this.  The first time we became the hoard.  The second time I was pretty much left alone against the hoard.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:13:24 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
Do it on bishops and you'll have the whole 20th FG flying for you :aok

One of the things we love to do is kill and kill more then kill the killers of the ones we killed which were killed? :headscratch:

We just love killing :D
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 12:51:30 AM »
I don't really take part in missions and haven't for years now but on two recent occasions I set up fighter sweep missions to clear out some heavily attacked fields.  One of these we took off with 28 Spit IX's and after a few minutes it was hard to find someone to kill.  The other time was about 16 Spit IX's and we didn't fare as well.  You never know who's going to sign up for a mission or how good or bad they might be.  

Anyway they were both fun and seeing all those Spits in the air was awsome.

Much truth in this.  The first time we became the hoard.  The second time I was pretty much left alone against the hoard.

you get bonus points if everyone was in the Pink skin! 
The Few ***
F.P.H