Author Topic: CH serial port Rudder Pedals  (Read 2935 times)

Offline merc76

• Zinc Member
CH serial port Rudder Pedals
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »
OK, I've been away from flight Sims for quite a while, but am slowly working my way back.

I have an older set of CH serial port rudder pedals that at one time were connected to a CH serial Gameport and joystick via a Y-cable. My new build computer does not have serial ports, so can I use a serial to USB adapter to use the pedals? OS is Windows 7 64 bit. Is there a way to convert these pedals to USB?

My current joystick is a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold (USB) I need a stick that can be set up left handed. I may need to replace this also, as I snapped off the trigger button during a fight. Currently attempting to machine a metal replacement.

Trying to keep the budget low, and I enjoy DIY electronics projects, so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.  :joystick:

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: CH serial port Rudder Pedals
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:34:33 AM »
If when you say "CH Serial port" you actually mean "CH Gameport" or "Analog Game port" , then yes a "GOOD" USB Adaptor will work, I have had 2 cheapo Gameport-to-USB Adaptors that gave me problems, but the Radio Shack version of  Gameport-to-USB Adaptors ( with the 4 position selector switch ) have never given me problems..... still using one today with CH USB Fiter Stick, CH USB Pro Throttle, CH analog Game port Rudder Pedals runned through the Gameport-to-USB Adaptor...... my OS is windows 7 64 bit.....

also, it shows up as "USB Adaptor"  in windows game controllers  setup......

the game "Aces High" also picks it up as "USB Adaptor" you just have to map your Rudder Pedals to it ( the Axis )...

hope this helps....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »
I'm using the same adapter TC has with my old TM Elite analog pedals. I like them because of the layout. They're heavy and set wider than the CH USB pedals out now but lack toe brakes but I can live without them. I'm running XP Pro 32 bit version. Only problem if you can call it that, is when you go to calibrate the pedals in windows it looks for a button press to confirm the pedal position. As the pedals have no button you can't do that so I had to add a cheap stick to them that I use only to click a button during calibration. It sits on top of the sub-woofer under my desk otherwise. This is working just fine for me. I have CH USB stick and throttle also.

If you're really interested in converting your old analog pedals to USB then check out this thread on the CH forums:

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?3506-Converting-GamePort-Pro-Pedals-to-USB

Apparantly it can be done. Can use hall sensors instead of pots if you like too. Another thread on there somewhere regarding that.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline merc76

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

The CH Gameport I'm referring to is actually a PCI edge card that was installed to the motherboard. The rudder pedals connected to this card and the joystick connected to the rudder pedals via the Y-cable. The Gameport had software to go along with it. I checked CH Products web site and the Gameport is no longer supported.

TC, I'll check out the Radio Shack adapter. If all else fails I could use my semi-broken Saitek joystick as a donor to convert my rudder pedals to USB as in the link from Drano. Then I need to find a new left handed joystick.  :joystick:

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »
 TC has answered your question but here is some info you might be interested in.

If you like projects,if you look here:http://snomhf.exofire.net/ under projects homeboy makes a left handed CH fighter sick. There are also some other projects that he does.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:33:09 AM »
My current joystick is a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold (USB) I need a stick that can be set up left handed. I may need to replace this also, as I snapped off the trigger button during a fight. Currently attempting to machine a metal replacement.

If this is your chosen stick, I came across 3 of em at a thrift store, I picked em all up for next to nothing, they may be older models but they are USB. I'll send the best one to you just for the cost of postage if you want.

Offline merc76

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:54 AM »
Jimson, thanks for the offer. I will email you directly. It's really not my chosen stick (well 10 years ago it was), just the one I happened to have when I found AH. It probably will be my stick for a little while until I get the honey-do list shortened up. Thanks again!  :joystick: