Author Topic: Vulch fests  (Read 5153 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Re: Vulch fests
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
Nowhere near ownage in any shape or form.  Eventually yes it will become boring.  At first it's like that first firework you light at the July 4th party. "Boom"  heh heh that was cool.  By the 30th or 40th firework, you are wondering if there is something else to do at the party... :headscratch:

I used that word only to describe ownage of a field. This in the context of taking a base.. How long does the vulch fest last? In most cases long enough for the goon to fly in and drop troops. By this time , most wise players will stop upping and getting vulched..

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »
I don't believe I predicted any harmful effects. My point was that vulching is fun. Changing the points system would not change that.

If you think there was anything in the second paragraph that applied to you please let me know.   :D
I think he's pointing out that you would remove those vulches that are score-motivated.  And what's the loss in that?

Counter (not direct, but counter) argument could be that vulching is an unalienable reward for strategic success.  You reap what you sow.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:39:39 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
IMO 2 absolutes stand the test of time in AH

#1- EVERYONE hates being vulched, picked, camped and HOd

#2- EVERYONE looks the otherway when they themselves vulch, pick, camp and HO  :)

It is a long standing tradition

I believe not 1 person can deny #1 yet most will not even entertain #2  lol
 The elephant in the room is virtualy invisible ;)

My thoughts were only to alter 1 very very small part of 1 of these behaviors!

Aces HIpocracy <---   LOL

JUGgler

Honestly I try very hard not to do any #1s, admittedly to my detriment many times over, once in a while I will get caught up in the "struggle" but it is quite rare, and I'd rather bail then be in the horde at the edge of an enemy base. With that said, I don't have issues with #2  ;)

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
I think he's pointing out that you would remove those vulches that are score-motivated.  And what's the loss in that?

Counter (not direct, but counter) argument could be that vulching is an unalienable reward for strategic success.  You reap what you sow.

You don't know that those vulches would be removed. The score minded would want to hit them as they went wheels up and if they waited too long someone else would shoot first. Shooting them would still be fun for the score minded even if they didn't get points. Does anyone fly for score and not enjoy shooting people down? Do they just force themselves to the unpleasant task for the sake of their score? All you would remove is the score for the vulch. Reducing vulching by that change is just a hope.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2011, 06:04:45 PM »
I don't but that's what Guppy's saying as I understand it.
The score minded would want to hit them as they went wheels up and if they waited too long someone else would shoot first. Shooting them would still be fun for the score minded even if they didn't get points.
Score motivated

Does anyone fly for score and not enjoy shooting people down? Do they just force themselves to the unpleasant task for the sake of their score?
Knew someone like that and I can play that way too.  It's about max victories and max "genuine" score top dog bragging rights, not loophole exploiting. There's no such victory without peril.  I don't think that's more than a niche inside AH though.
All you would remove is the score for the vulch. Reducing vulching by that change is just a hope.
I think that's a distinction that Guppy would be fine with.  As pointed out, removing score-induced gaminess that detracts from quality dogfighting is the motivation.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
I don't see how...shooting a bird on the wing is much more fun. Vulching is just a boring strafing chore, basically.

That's you, I, on the other hand think it's great fun especially when you toss in a little bit of artistic flair and creativity.  Murdr and I used to love finding new creative ways to vulch.  Personally, I love to wait until they've got their wheels tucked up before vulching them, gives them the false hope that they may actually get up without being vulched only to have their dreams and hopes dashed.

Heck, I learned from the early masters like HiTech.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »
double post
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:24:12 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
My fav's gotta be tea baggin em while they still can't do anything without the buzzer ringing hard.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Moot I've known Guppy since we were +Nomads. You don't have to explain him to me. We're used to disagreeing.  :D

Ack-Ack we just had another Muskie from the early days on Genie join us on Aces High. He's still pissed at Hitech for vulching him back then.  :rofl

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
If a crew is taking a base and holding cap on a field, why would they want to allow someone to up and possibly kill troops or the goon? I have seen many base takes fail because one fast spit managed to up and get to one troop running into the map room..

Vulching is part of the game.. Always will be...

Yeh we know. THat's a different discussion.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
Could be.  With that in mind, what harm would come from making vulch kills not count towards attaboys? 

If it's for the fun of it, for the capture or whatever, the actual 'vulch' in iteself would be the reward correct?  If I'm wrong, and it's not about attaboys, nothing will change and people can vulch to their hearts content anyway :)

You've flown with and around me long enough FLS to know there is little hope of me attaining my 'greatness' nor do I care.  I just like a good fight :)

Guppy gets it.  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »
I don't but that's what Guppy's saying as I understand it.Score motivated
Knew someone like that and I can play that way too.  It's about max victories and max "genuine" score top dog bragging rights, not loophole exploiting. There's no such victory without peril.  I don't think that's more than a niche inside AH though.I think that's a distinction that Guppy would be fine with.  As pointed out, removing score-induced gaminess that detracts from quality dogfighting is the motivation.

Moot gets it  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
We all get it. We just don't all agree with you.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
You don't know that those vulches would be removed. The score minded would want to hit them as they went wheels up and if they waited too long someone else would shoot first. Shooting them would still be fun for the score minded even if they didn't get points. Does anyone fly for score and not enjoy shooting people down? Do they just force themselves to the unpleasant task for the sake of their score? All you would remove is the score for the vulch. Reducing vulching by that change is just a hope.

Who's speculating now?  :D   :salute
Maybe the number is low. But I dont think I'm alone in thinking the number is higher than you suggest. But again I don't have to be right about the number. As as Guppy says, what the harm?   Also, I don't mean to hijack JUGglers 'wheels up' idea, but to clarify I'm refereing to a sliding point scale for easy kills vs difficult kills, in which case most 'vulches' would yield few points. If they're fun, or required for a base capture, by all means do it. Not trying to ban picking, vulching, and ganging, just trying to de-incentivise it.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »

Guppy gets it.  :aok

Quite a bit of us get it, it's just that there are some of us that have a different view than you and Dan.  Just because we don't fall in line with your thinking doesn't mean we don't get it, we just don't agree with your position.

ack-ack