Author Topic: For Batfink mostly  (Read 647 times)

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
For Batfink mostly
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
SHawk and I decided to do a Mossie v 110 dual after he proved no match to me Mossie v Mossie  :bolt:
Very surprised of how equal the fight turned out. 
We seemed to match each other the entire fight until we both stalled out later in the fight, forcing us both on the deck.  Unfortunately I came out with him recovering before me, and near my 6 o clock, leaving me little options other than getting my nose around to him as quickly as possible.  I tried looping over in time, but didn't seem to have enough E to come through, and I stalled back out into the trees.  Any tips for the 2-engined bath tub?  I'm learning the Mossie is full of tricks that seem to make it rather competitive against better planes, and even better pilots in some cases.
http://www.4shared.com/file/jT2jxPqo/shawkmossiev110.html
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Re: For Batfink mostly
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
The Mosquito is significantly faster than the 110 and can outclimb it. Because the 110 turns in a tighter circle than the Mosquito, you will want to maintain an energy advantage over him. IE: Maintain speed and altitude. If anything, I always try to have an altitude perch over an aircraft that can out turn me. Also, when fighting the 110, utilize your superior climb performance by using WEP as you need it. Don't overdo the WEP, as it is a very valuable and useful thing to use later in fights. Basically, work the vertical as much as you can. Try to make climbing turns to the right. Even though your engine torque pulls you to the left, so does the 110. If you can make your opponent fight his engine torque, you have a greater chance of gaining an advantage. The Mosquito is surprisingly stable in a vertical fight, despite not being able to compete with planes like the 109K4 and P38J/L. I have been able to make Spitfires, even Brewsters, dip a wing because they tried to fly at speeds of 80 mph to stay behind my tail.

So long as you maintain superior energy advantage, eventually you will drain the 110's energy out as he cannot match your climb rates and speed.

Another thing. You will need to have the hand of a surgeon to fly the Mosquito smooth as silk. Engine torque and yawing is a tough thing to deal with when making critical deflection shots. I would say the most important control unit on the Mosquito is the rudder. You only have one. And the rudder can snap that Mosquito around in a split second and will surprise any pilot fighting against you. If you lose that rudder, you lose about 50% of your fighting capability, IMO.

I did not get a chance to review your film, but I hope my rundown helps shed some light on the Mosquito. Keep flying that bird! I hope that someday you will like to fly the Mosquito as much as Battfink, and myself. :salute
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline hyster

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:00:24 PM »
with the mossie u need to learn throttle and rudder control which it looks like u have.

the main thing is that u turn to late. i seen that a few times. u need to turn earlier than most planes even though it can leave u open to a belly shot.
ie: if he is at ur 3 and u in his 12 dont wait for him to pass u before u turn. start ur turn at 100-150 so by the time he starts to turn ur half way through urs.

or if he out zooms u then dont wait for a shot as he comes down unless ur sure but as soon as he starts to roll over u start as well.

at low speed and high aoa u rudder will double ur roll rate. something i learned while high aoa and low speed is dip the left wing a bit then wip the stick hard right with full right rudder. it stall turns very fast.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »
That was pretty good

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
Dude, sorry I missed this Warhed, my forum skills are declining recently :)

Hmmm, thips for the mossie...

1: Most important I can think of is keeping the angle of attacl good. For instance when you roll inverted through a reversal the tail will start to overtake the nose and cause bad angle of attack unless you push the stick forward to stabalise the roll through the inverted section. Same with hammerhead and stall turns, you got to push the stick forward at least for a moment to stabalise the angle of attack more often than not.

2: Tricks! Tricking your opponet with the mossie is important. In an equal duel most single seaters are going to be able to outfly the mossie in a sustained turnign fight. But the mossie's key power is weapon load. If you have produce just one snapshot it can be anough for victory. So I think getting in their head and forcing an early mistake is the best way to fight from equal advantage in the mossie. In BnZ mode starting with advantage, it's a walk in the park for the mossie.

3: Fuel and ammo weight. Makes quite a difference. I'd never fly a normal sortie with more than 50% fuel. Ammo makes less effect but I still like to dump 2000 .303s and usualy RTB as the 20s and MGs run out together.

4: Fly alone: Mossie is great in a pack, but even better on it's own. Enemy will all see a mossie and think easy kill, so flying out alone in her is certain to get you a fight.

um....think, will have to come back to it when I think of more. Any questions?

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips fellas. 
Been flying it almost exclusively since January, I plan on making it my primary ride for the rest of the year. 
It seems to be a good plane to hone your skills on, when I step back in another ride I notice my flying has improved  :)
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 03:53:41 AM »
Got a little bit of training with Canacka in the Mossie and learned a lot.  Really need to be a good stick and rudder (and flaps) guy if you're going to fly it, but all that ammo is like having a fireman's hose.  You can take any shot that presents itself and kill (or severely maim) anyone dumb enough to cross your twelve.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"