Author Topic: The Very Best Maneuver Films Explained in Detail ****  (Read 2085 times)

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
Re: The Very Best Maneuver Films Explained in Detail ****
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
 FSL what are you talking about? What don't you understand about diving away from the DR.1 in the D.VII. If you can fly 30 to 40mph fast in the D.VII. Then you will get separation the DR.1 can't over come. The DR.1 is 10 to 12 mph slower to start with in the real world. That was the advantage the D.VII had over allied planes in the summer of 1917 it was able to dive away from a fight and regain advantage. The D.VII was such a good aircraft the Dutch built it into the 1920s and I think the Swiss did also.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »
I was referring to your statements that the WW1 aircraft all fly the same speed and that the DVII cannot dive faster than the DR1.  Both are incorrect and you can easily find that out for yourself by flying them.  In WW1 fighters flew higher than they do in the WW1 arena. The fights in the WW1 arena favor the DR1 design. 

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »
 I am taking about in the AH WWI arena that all planes seem to fly the same speed not in the real war. If they didn't fly the same speed or more correctly fly faster then they did. Then I could dive away from the DR.1 and get separation. The DR.1 could not keep up with the D.VIIs speed.         

Then I could regain advantage for a new merge. As it is now you can't use speed to do this because the DR.1 is just about as fast As the D.VII is in our WWI arena and it just runs you down. So it is ether fly the DR.1 or be a gunner drone for it.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 11:35:37 AM »
Don't forget about the acceleration abilitys of these WWI aircraft...... just because a plane may be 30 or 40 mph faster "at top speed"......means only that..it is faster at top speed.....

while dogfighting in these WWI era planes, once one wants to disengage and extend, gaining acceleration is going to take a bit of time ( time here is thought of in seconds )...... so you are in the D.VII. and you are wanting to break off and extend from a Dr1..... well that DR1 is a heck of a turner, and gets around the turn circle quiet quickly, and will be able to continue pinging you while you are accelerating to get out of guns range......

now if you are diving away to extend you will gain a little bit more quickly, but it still is gonna take a few seconds to be able to pull out of guns range of the DR1 until your D.VII reaches its top speed

edit: and I totally agree with FLS's statement about in Real Life these battles of the 2 planes took place at significant higher altitudes, verses the on the deck fights or under 3K or 4K alt fights we see in the WWI Era Arena...... so the fights in the WWI arena need to be compared to flight/fight reports of these 2 aircraft in Real Life that took place at the same altitudes of on the deck or under 3k/4k to have a more correct comparison to RL......

hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:39:10 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »
R105 I know you were referring to the WW1 fighters in Aces High. I wasn't suggesting that you test fly real WW1 fighters. If you test the speeds of the Aces High WW1 fighters you will see that the DR1 and DVII have different top speeds and if you test their dive speeds you will see that the DVII can dive faster than the DR1. You can also look at the Aces High performance charts for the aircraft to compare their speeds but that won't show their dive speeds. Because the fights in Aces High are close to the ground you don't have as much altitude to use to dive away so that tactic is less useful in the arena.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

ROPE A DOPE...easier on people w/o to much experience but works quite often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWyrOSB6uw

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 02:31:26 PM »
I do like these RoF training videos they are very well explained and I wish our AH planes flew like that. I can never get that kind of separation and advantage and it seems Once you merge the other guy is glued to you.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
R105 have you tried training? For that matter have you tried Rise of Flight and actually compared the flight models?

Why don't you join me in the training arena some time and we'll see if the DVII has any options against a DR1.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
 Yes I have tried the Rise of Flight but is was not an on line game that I tried. Go check it out for yourself the planes there fly with correct speed and clime advantages the planes enjoyed in WWI over each other. It also seemed I could clime higher in there than AH. I tried Fly Boys in the past and didn't care for it at all. It was said to be an on line game but most of what you engaged in there were drones.

I have logged 100s of hours in a fabric covered tail dragger over the last 40 years. Mostly in the Taylorcraft BL-65 so I got a pretty good understanding of how slow light weight aircraft preforms. As far as HTC goes I have yet to find a game on line or other wise that has the game play of AH or I would be playing it. While I can find other games with some points I like better, over all Aces High is far and away the best game I have played.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »
I only have a few hours in a Tiger Moth but I don't think any other flight sim compares to the AH flight modeling.

I'm sure you know that there's more to flight modeling than speed and climb rate. In any case you haven't shown that any speeds or climb rates in Aces High are incorrect. You may prefer the choices they made in Rise of Flight but there doesn't seem to be much actual data available.

As I said before, I'll be happy to fly a DVII against your DR1. I don't think it's as one sided as you believe.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 12:51:17 AM »

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 12:55:59 AM »
 :furious                                                                                                                                          

The thread was Hi Jacked by WW1 flight speed talk.

I'd like to get back to maneuvers.
                                                                                                             :bolt:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
:furious                                                                                                                                          

The thread was Hi Jacked by WW1 flight speed talk.

I'd like to get back to maneuvers.
                                                                                                             :bolt:

Feel free to post your question. We're here to help.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 12:49:47 AM »
Actually A8TOOL, this is an excellent find. The videos are absolutely wonderful.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 03:43:39 AM »
Feel free to post your question. We're here to help.

OK....How do I make my airshow smoke travel in opposite direction ....don't say photo shop or gimp edit ;)  heheheh

BLOOM, hope they can help people. All it takes is an interest in how it's done and it all comes together. Doesn't matter that they are WWl aircraft....same principles and they're explained well.

EDIT: Learning maneuvers ...along with a few other things, helped me go from 200 kills a month to over 500 back in the day
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:51:50 AM by A8TOOL »