Author Topic: New Terrain in the AVA--guadalcanal  (Read 4376 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: New Terrain in the AVA--guadalcanal
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
I don't think BnZ has any problems dealing with it. He just doesn't care for the settings.
That's cool, we all like different things.

yep. perfectly well understood. it's why there's black and white.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
blondes and redheads, buxom or trim, yes variety is what makes the world go round.

Best of luck to ya BNZ's and thanks for giving it a look <S>
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
From my perception of looking at other aircraft while actually flying, the difficulty is not in spotting them or following them after they are spotted, but simply laying vision on them in the vastness that is the sky in the first place. How we are to simulate this on a computer screen without problems is a head scratcher. In normal zoom view, each snap view covers a massive amount of the sky...so anything with a sign on it is easily spotted. We've already talked about what its like *WITHOUT* the neon sign. That is why I said with sufficient resolution and very large monitors, massive levels of zoom+trackIR may be the most realistic way to go, however there is a definite discrimination against those not so equipped. And I'm not sure even with trackIR tracking a moving bandit across views without icons will be as easy as it is in R/L.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
perhaps then icons from 6k down to 1k, then nothing............
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »

As said before, that might be a more realistic option, but it's not currently possible.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2011, 05:33:23 PM »
From my perception of looking at other aircraft while actually flying, the difficulty is not in spotting them or following them after they are spotted, but simply laying vision on them in the vastness that is the sky in the first place. How we are to simulate this on a computer screen without problems is a head scratcher. In normal zoom view, each snap view covers a massive amount of the sky...so anything with a sign on it is easily spotted. We've already talked about what its like *WITHOUT* the neon sign. That is why I said with sufficient resolution and very large monitors, massive levels of zoom+trackIR may be the most realistic way to go, however there is a definite discrimination against those not so equipped. And I'm not sure even with trackIR tracking a moving bandit across views without icons will be as easy as it is in R/L.
there are so many places i could go but...it isn't worth it...the topic of this thread is the new terrain that usranger created and is now running on the ava arena...not icons or anyone's perception of reality...

we're glad you tried it for a short time and with your vast experience it's obviously not for you...have a nice day
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2011, 05:55:11 PM »
As said before, that might be a more realistic option, but it's not currently possible.

i know. personally, i like the lack of icons all together. the lack of them adds to the "atmosphere" of this arena in my eyes.

i'm simply trying to keep somewhat open minded of others opinions.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
i did find myself getting distracted looking down at the absolute terrain i've ever seen in this game.

WTFG ranger!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
Last night was too tired. Had lots going on today taking my 89 year old dad to the dr for a checkup and all. Wed is squad night and so far I haven't seen any of them in over a week!  :( 

This arena and the settings are kinda like the night time too. Too many folks hated it, but I loved it.  This NO Icon setting is similar in a way. Look for me to pop in a bit more often. Make sure you check 6 first!   :rofl

Harrr.......   Ken,

If pops is like mine, his has a number of things that he wants to do (that is code for .... wants you to do while he supervises every detail to tell you when your not doing it right).   :old:  The funny thing is that he is always right, and listening to him, following his advice, I actually learn something and he gets stuff fixed.  But it still wears ya out.

I hate that I am missing seeing more of my old friends and a new terrain, but I just ordered some upgrade components for my old POAS (piece of ancient scat). 

So be on the look out K Ken, and BnZs I would consider it a thrill to fly or GV with you guys in any arena, soon. :salute  I believe that is what most of us "Shadow Chasers" are hoping to do anyway is to encourage veterans and newcomers alike to help make an environment that is both challenging and fun.  That is why USRanger and others are hard at work to bring in new exciting terrains, new historically inspired theaters of combat, and challenges to get some squad/ team "the way it was" action.

I could start a wishlist, discussing the reverse distance icon settings as Jimson, BnZs and Cap1 have done here.  But would that be the answer?  For some the settings will never be what they would like to see.  Although I agree it might be a better estimation of RL identification, some might feel that any flag at all is undesirable, while other would argue about what distance the flag should be raised.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
there are so many places i could go but...it isn't worth it...the topic of this thread is the new terrain that usranger created and is now running on the ava arena...not icons or anyone's perception of reality...

we're glad you tried it for a short time and with your vast experience it's obviously not for you...have a nice day

Actually, I've tried it some more, and by using very zoomed in views combined with panning with the mouse, spotting is reasonable. I'm at least as good at it as many flying in there regularly, if six zeke kills in one hop are any indication.(None of them saw me coming, except the ones I HO'd. And it does make HOing more realistic, since the enema goes from being a dot to filling the screen very quickly) Still not as easy as real life, especially if you consider I really need that left hand on my throttle as sometimes!

Before you mock my "vast experience", consider that the experience myself and many others are talking about is looking at actual airplanes in the actual air at the sort of distances under discussion.

Oh, and yes, the terrain IS simply marvelous!
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »
BNZ's

No mocking here.  If it's not your thing rock on bro.. No arena can be all things to all people.  Wish it was yours as we could use more people like you in there but if it's not it's not. 

Flip it around.  I find the MA's distracting since I've gotten into the no icon settings.  Doesn't make me wrong either. 

Great thing about this game.  If you have a little bit of imagination you can find a plethora of fun things to do while aggravating humorless people.  <S>

And yes the terrains are awesome :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
Actually, I've tried it some more, and by using very zoomed in views combined with panning with the mouse, spotting is reasonable. I'm at least as good at it as many flying in there regularly, if six zeke kills in one hop are any indication.(None of them saw me coming, except the ones I HO'd. And it does make HOing more realistic, since the enema goes from being a dot to filling the screen very quickly) Still not as easy as real life, especially if you consider I really need that left hand on my throttle as sometimes!

Before you mock my "vast experience", consider that the experience myself and many others are talking about is looking at actual airplanes in the actual air at the sort of distances under discussion.

Oh, and yes, the terrain IS simply marvelous!

i fly too.

i've never mocked your experience.

most of my kills in the ava are in massive(for here) furballs. it's a blast. lately, since i ain't got the trackir totally figured out, i've gone back to my timid midwar arena ways.....and the kills i've gotten they've not seen me coming. i got shane twice. that right there is proof, as i'm pretty dam sure i could never take him in a 1-1 fight. think i got delta that way too. he kilt a countryman, and then saw a bridge.......with a sign on it saying "fly under me". i got him as he was going under.  :devil  i'm a sneaky bastge.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »
BNZ's

No mocking here.  If it's not your thing rock on bro.. No arena can be all things to all people.  Wish it was yours as we could use more people like you in there but if it's not it's not. 

Flip it around.  I find the MA's distracting since I've gotten into the no icon settings.  Doesn't make me wrong either. 

Great thing about this game.  If you have a little bit of imagination you can find a plethora of fun things to do while aggravating humorless people.  <S>

And yes the terrains are awesome :D

my imagination would not fit here......unless i could put certain betty paige pictures on my airplane........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
got one in mind? *hand twitches towards photoshop button :D

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
if you want to know what i'm mocking...it's the fact that you're equating what you have seen out the window of an airplane leisure flying at maybe 200 mph with combat flying as a pilot at 300+ mph...everyone in this discussion has already conceded that the game isn't rendering distant objects in the same level of detail that we would see in real life...there might be some visibility improvement if we all had 42+ inch monitors but as it sits...we don't...

so htc's answer to the lack of detail rendering on distant objects is to paste a big red neon sign around the distant object that first appears at 18,000 feet in the distance and provides more information than the average human can determine at that distance...and that is somehow better than turning off the neon sign and learning some little tricks to compensate for the lack of visual acuity? ok...if you say so. if that's your bag, cool...have at it and enjoy yourself.

i'll stick with the neon sign turned off and using the few little tricks i've found to keep my eyes on the bad guys...the few people who sneak up on me, they deserve to get credit for the kill.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett