Author Topic: still confused  (Read 1052 times)

Offline hellwolf

• Zinc Member
still confused
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
In a recent post I asked how scoring worked, some good replies informed me that 5 elements decided  fighter ranking.

I propose a new element is required.  A minimum sortie level before you are ranked at all!!

So far this month I have done the ususal, attack bases, defend bases.  When checking the score in the roster yesterday, I have flown 108 sorties have a K/D ratio of 1.81 and 8539 points, that equated to a rank of #536. Not great but ok for a relative noob.

I noticed on the roster another player whos name Id never seen before had a fighter rank of #170.  Thought id check his score to see how much I had to improve to get to this rank.

Well he had flown 2 sorties, for 4 kills and no deaths and 200 points!!!!!!!!!

Hell I had similar score at the begining of the month after playing for 20 minutes.

Ranking players under this format is a waste of time.  How about a 20 or so sortie minimum before ranking applies, or do away with ranking altogether since it bears no relation to in game performance.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: still confused
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »
Totally agree with you. but this is one wish you won't win. 

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »
You'll be much happier if you don't worry about your score.  One less thing to obsess over. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
You'll be much happier if you don't worry about your score.  One less thing to obsess over. 
absolute best advice for the op...  :aok
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:27:28 PM »
Helwolf trust me on this one buddy, just forget your rank, score, anything that compares you to other players. You will enjoy the game 200% more when you don't care about deaths and kills.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »

+1
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:02:15 PM »
In a recent post I asked how scoring worked, some good replies informed me that 5 elements decided  fighter ranking.

I propose a new element is required.  A minimum sortie level before you are ranked at all!!

So far this month I have done the ususal, attack bases, defend bases.  When checking the score in the roster yesterday, I have flown 108 sorties have a K/D ratio of 1.81 and 8539 points, that equated to a rank of #536. Not great but ok for a relative noob.

I noticed on the roster another player whos name Id never seen before had a fighter rank of #170.  Thought id check his score to see how much I had to improve to get to this rank.

Well he had flown 2 sorties, for 4 kills and no deaths and 200 points!!!!!!!!!

Hell I had similar score at the begining of the month after playing for 20 minutes.

Ranking players under this format is a waste of time.  How about a 20 or so sortie minimum before ranking applies, or do away with ranking altogether since it bears no relation to in game performance.

Like everyone said, compare YOUR score to YOUR score only anything else will just drive you nuts.

Technically speaking that guy that has 4 kills in two flights with zero deaths deserves a better rank because he hasn't died...you have, his kill per sortie is higher and so on. The score/ranking system is built this way to give guys who fly a few hours a month a chance to to keep up with those who fly a hundred hours a month.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:00:37 AM »
hellwolf it basically comes down to this, scores with such low numbers are really a way to game the rank.  most people that rank really high, you will find that you can beat them 1v1 with one hand tied behind your back, while the other is holding a beer.  the only skill they have is at scoring.  most people that really have skill never bother to play the rank game, so they never rank high but you meet them and you will know, who they are.

trying to change the ranking system we have now to really get rid of these "low" number of sorties is useless.  we have tried many times before, but for some reason these guys are a protected class all in itself.  and I am not saying they're protected by ah, but by other players who feel their own rank will be threatened also.

so forget trying to understand the ranking system and enjoy the game.  and smile every time you wipe the floor with a superstar.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:04:15 AM »
and I am not saying they're protected by ah, but by other players who feel their own rank will be threatened also.

lolz

How can "other players" protect the rank system? It's HT's sole decision how it works.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hellwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:50:35 AM »
thanks for replies.  I dont really care about rank or score, just feel frustrated with any system that has no internal logic.

Seems like this problem has been noted before, and remedies are not on the horizon.  So, I will take your advice and not even look at rankings anymore.

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 07:21:12 AM »
Hellwolf it is both simple and logical. The other player has a better ranking then you have because they have better combined rankings. You state that you have one ranking that is better by virtue of having played more. You would like this one ranking to improve the overall ranking that you claim to not care about. Then some other players, most of whose rankings are worse than yours, would now get ranked higher than you because they are online more than you are. Your overall ranking would drop further, and instead of getting ranked behind somebody with better stats, you would now be ranked behind people with worse stats. And you would consider this to be more logical, and your lower rank wouldn't bother you because you don't care about score and rank.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:35 AM »
Hellwolf, that is exactly how score guys play the system as far as fighter rank goes.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
hellwolf, you seem to think k/d and points is all that counts?

What were the differences in the other items like kills per sortie, kills per time and hit %.

When I look at your score I see you are ranked 1596 in hit %, this is a big detriment to your fighter ranking.

2nd You all ready do have a big advantage over the people who fly just one sortie. Look at your POINTS rank and the other persons POINTS rank. I'm sure you have way above him in that rank, because points is what gives the person who flies more the advantage.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
HiTech has explained it well.

All 5 stats go towards your fighter rank, those being: Kill Points, K/D, K/S, Kill/Hr, and hit %

IF 2 of those are great and 3 are bad you will have an average score. If all are great you will have a great score.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline hellwolf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 11:10:43 PM »
A few posts here have missed the point.  The scoring system is not logical since it discourages you from actually playing the game.

If for instance we went to play golf and I birdie the first two holes, then under this scoring system I should quit then, since Ill be 2 under.  Ill just take the risk that other players over the 18 holes wont do better. In golf you either play 9 or 18 holes and add up the score, not add it up when you have the best score you might achieve for the day.