Author Topic: Field-Ack Kills Tanks?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
Re: Field-Ack Kills Tanks?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 07:34:37 AM »
p-47`s irl could disable tiger tanks with 50cals they would try to ricochet the rounds off street to the underside of tank which had very thin armor 
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 07:43:47 AM »
Actually challenge clone was correct.

There should be rounds in between the tracers, but it got to be too many rounds for the system to keep track of, was significantly impacting gameplay. So they juggled it, removed the unseen rounds and cranked up the damage of the tracer rounds if they hit.

Also there are no .30 or .50 cal mg acks in game, have not been for a long time now. Same problem as above.
They went with fewer larger caliber guns.

If you don't believe me its not that hard to test with the manned guns.

So yes, 37mm impacting tank on the same location will blow through in time. Stay out of the ack, kill it first, then move in.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
p-47`s irl could disable tiger tanks with 50cals they would try to ricochet the rounds off street to the underside of tank which had very thin armor 

Is that a feeble attempt to go fishin???   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »
its some sort of 37mm that looks like a 40mm bofors according to htc.   and I've killed tons of vehicles with it. the only ones that give trouble to kill outright are tigers and t34s nowadays.  panzers are dead meat, and m4's are if close enough and you hit the sweet spot

i'm somewhat curious if the OP was in a panther yesterday that got tracked, but then ended up getting killed by another tank.. I had tracked a panther with field gun because all i could see was his track under some trees. then went back to tower, and a friendly came out and finished him off.. to the panther it might have looked like an auto ack popped his track from way out, when in fact it was a 37mm manned ack . 

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 09:00:33 AM »

Found this along the lines of what you wrote above.........5th paragraph down.

http://www.usaaf.net/ww2/dday/ddpg8.htm
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »
<Actually clone, challenge was correct.>

fixed

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 10:28:57 PM »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »
Most auto-ack is 20mm but if you look on fields you will see the 20mm are round and the 37mm are square. Not all the 37mm are manneable and they do fire. You will see the tracers from these guns and they are much slower than the 20mm but what you dont see are the non-tracer rounds (obviously) and they will kill you.  :D

Well Clone look closely. You see the tracers. Obvious. What you dont see are the non-tracer rounds. Again... obvious.

The non-tracer rounds will kill you. The tracers hit you and the game calculates the non-tracer rounds damage.

Steel kills. Tracers?

Pretty easy really even though its obvious your stuck on the non-tracer rounds not being modeled (physically represented or drawn)... they still kill you.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »
Well Clone look closely. You see the tracers. Obvious. What you dont see are the non-tracer rounds. Again... obvious.

The non-tracer rounds will kill you. The tracers hit you and the game calculates the non-tracer rounds damage.

Steel kills. Tracers?

Pretty easy really even though its obvious your stuck on the non-tracer rounds not being modeled (physically represented or drawn)... they still kill you.
Actually challenge clone was correct.

There should be rounds in between the tracers, but it got to be too many rounds for the system to keep track of, was significantly impacting gameplay. So they juggled it, removed the unseen rounds and cranked up the damage of the tracer rounds if they hit.

Also there are no .30 or .50 cal mg acks in game, have not been for a long time now. Same problem as above.
They went with fewer larger caliber guns.

If you don't believe me its not that hard to test with the manned guns.

So yes, 37mm impacting tank on the same location will blow through in time. Stay out of the ack, kill it first, then move in.

I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 01:05:33 AM »

Steel kills. Tracers?

So you are saying that when a tracer round hits the plane, it calculates the odds of how many non-tracer rounds would have also hit me and adds that to the damage?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:15 AM »
Perhaps not precisely how it is calculated but thats it approximately... if you will.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
So you are saying that when a tracer round hits the plane, it calculates the odds of how many non-tracer rounds would have also hit me and adds that to the damage?

Ever see a hit sprite without a tracer hitting?

Typically every fifth round is a tracer, meaning there are four rounds you cannot see between the tracers.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »
Ever see a hit sprite without a tracer hitting?

Typically every fifth round is a tracer, meaning there are four rounds you cannot see between the tracers.

wrongway

Actually no I have never seen that

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 03:02:53 PM »
Actually no I have never seen that

OK. Scratch that and reverse it.

Ever get hit in your tank by AAA and not see a tracer with the sound?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"