Author Topic: We're missing the point - bombers dont need to be perked  (Read 3347 times)

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
We're missing the point - bombers dont need to be perked
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
I know this sounds inflamitory but hear me out.....

Bombers don't create the damage; bombs do.  Just the fact you can take 4 - 4,000lbs cookies in a 29, 8 - 2,000 and bunches of  1,000lbs and 40 500lbs means its the ord loadout is where the value is at.  This is a mamouth amount of ord for for one plane and its formations. 

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love flying the B-29 and plan to fly it more.   That being said, HiTech spent much time making other bombers for all of us and we hardly see other bombers other than 24's, 17's, lancs and maybe the occational KI-67.  Why don't we take smaller bombers?  Economy of scale with loadouts, plain and simple.

Bomb Loadouts need to be perked, especially above 500lbs.  This would smooth out the use of bombers and ordance pairity in the game and recognize the destructive power of bombs above 500lbs.  Especially since HITECH made calibration a lot easier since I started this game. 

I know this is an entirely new way of looking at things but I think this is the right way to go.

* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline jododger

• Copper Member
Re: We're missing the point - bombers dont need to be perked
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »
+1  well thought out, (shakes head) I cant believe I am agreeing raider
Dodger
It's about the fight.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »

I know this is an entirely new way of looking at things

No, it isn't. In fact, it's actually quite an old one  :P
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
Perk ord has been a wish for many a year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:02:36 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
Perk ord has been a wish for many a year.

No, it isn't. In fact, it's actually quite an old one 

I remember that I brought it up a year ago but I don't know anybody else that brought it up.  If they did, I applaud that person.

Maybe this is worth discussing again.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
I remember that I brought it up a year ago but I don't know anybody else that brought it up.  If they did, I applaud that person.

Thank you  :D

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,264677.0.html

And I was not the only, or even first one. A future perked ords system was even mentioned by HTC.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Thank you  :D

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,264677.0.html

And I was not the only, or even first one. A future perked ords system was even mentioned by HTC.

Well I'll say this, you have clout with HTC and they would listen to you and not to me regretably.  Maybe now with the addition of the 29, this idea could someday soon become a reality for the best of the game.

There are a lot of bombers that HTC made for us and simply not used but this could change things.   :salute

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
The B-29 is fantastic above 20K but which bomber isn't? The thing is, I don't have the luxury of time to spend it climbing to a safe alt which I'm sure is the case with the majority of players. Plus I find it much more enjoyable to fly my bombers just low enough to engage enemy cons then I do flying it all alone in the heavens (Remember AH is a combat flight simulator after all).

The B-29 without the fire control computer isn't worth 100 perks per unit and needs to be significantly lowered.

Does this post deserve a +1?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:38:02 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »
The B-29 is fantastic above 20K but which bomber isn't? The thing is, I don't have the luxury of time to spend it climbing to a safe alt which I'm sure is the case with the majority of players, plus I find it much more enjoyable to fly my bombers just low enough to engage enemy cons then I do flying it all alone in the heavens (Remember AH is a combat flight simulator and not just a flight simulator).

The B-29 without the fire control computer isn't worth 100 a unit and needs to be significantly lowered.

+0.9 Out of spite.  ;)

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
The B-29 is fantastic above 20K but which bomber isn't? The thing is, I don't have the luxury of time to spend it climbing to a safe alt which I'm sure is the case with the majority of players. Plus I find it much more enjoyable to fly my bombers just low enough to engage enemy cons then I do flying it all alone in the heavens (Remember AH is a combat flight simulator after all).

The B-29 without the fire control computer isn't worth 100 perks per unit and needs to be significantly lowered.

+1 although I think they should completely unperk the B29 and perk the ords heavily. (maybe leave the light 12k package unperked)

Given it's durability gremlins, it's just a fast Betty.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:39 AM »

not from me... because I'm undecided on this. The perk price is either too high or quite right depending on how you intend to use it. You can put the emphasis on combat and come in fairly low, where the vulnerability of the engines will make that price you are paying for it fairly high.

But on the other hand - A player can (and often will) chose to take it really high, and then you have a very difficult to stop bomber that (yes, much more difficult than any other) that can bring obscene amounts of bombs to about any place on the maop. This feature alone is is absolutely demanding a big price tag.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »
Its still (relatively) difficult to bomb at 35k.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Bomb Loadouts need to be perked, especially above 500lbs.  This would smooth out the use of bombers and ordance pairity in the game and recognize the destructive power of bombs above 500lbs.  Especially since HITECH made calibration a lot easier since I started this game. 
How would this work, exactly?

Right now, the perk cost of a plane is not 'spent' if one lands successfully.

How would the perked ord be landed successfully? Would the perk cost of the ord load be recovered if the sortie ends on the runway?
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 12:03:07 PM »
Its still (relatively) difficult to bomb at 35k.

Towns and strat targets are as easy to hit from 35 as from 15k. Hangars are just a tad more difficult to see, and that can be balanced by increasing the salvo...which is no problem if you got 40x500lbs.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
How would this work, exactly?

Right now, the perk cost of a plane is not 'spent' if one lands successfully.

How would the perked ord be landed successfully? Would the perk cost of the ord load be recovered if the sortie ends on the runway?

You don't get them back id assume.