Author Topic: Kids these days  (Read 3940 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Kids these days
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
when i was 14 my mother struck me across the face with a tire iron. i still have a small scar on my face from it.

but i guess all the people that are preaching to smack your kid back in line would applaud her doing that huh?

smacking your child is the worst way to try to teach them a lesson. they'll just change from doing w.e they were doing infront of you to doing it behind your back where you wont find out.

funny.......it worked well with me........reference my post about the only time i ever dared to raise my hand at mom........and it worked with pretty much everyone i grew up with.

that being said.....if what you said is true.....i'm sorry.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
some of us kids can be nice, others not so much

i don't think anyone of us thinks ALL kids are bad. i in fact have the pleasure to know quite a few good kids.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2011, 10:15:04 PM »
i don't think anyone of us thinks ALL kids are bad. i in fact have the pleasure to know quite a few good kids.
the worst ones are the 12 year olds with too much Dr.Pepper and gamer rage :rofl
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
the worst ones are the 12 year olds with too much Dr.Pepper and gamer rage :rofl

Are you KIDDING me?
All the 12 year olds rage on 'mtn' dew  :uhoh
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
a 12 yr old can rage on anything :lol
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:44 PM »
So I should ignore every step of logic I put into that and go with an unsupported opinion?

-Penguin
Should I believe the world is the same today as it was ten years ago? If you truthfully believe it is, then I'm positive you're living in a world of theory. As the world changes, so do generations which grow in it. These changes become obvious through social outlets, behaviors, and various other means of expression.

I've talked with professors who've been watching these changes over the last five years. Needless to say, they're astonished with the difference. Some I've spoken with watched student bodies go from excelling opportunistic individuals to people who consistently whine about course content being "too difficult," that tests should "have multiple opportunities," and that the professors "don't know how to teach the course correctly." Keep in mind, this is in a period of five years. That's a very rapid change!

I too have witnessed this attitude. My classes have various students who complain about tests, course content, and reading material being "too difficult." Instead of studying, they compose stories begging for a second attempt at examinations, suggesting the professor didn't explain the information clearly enough.

It's not an unsupported opinion, kids are different these days. They're in an environment of instant gratification and they believe they can continue to thrive in such an environment as they transition toward independence. Even you know that upon placing an airplane in a nose-high attitude, you must increase power to prevent a stall. However, kids these days are flying nose-high into adulthood without adding power, yet they expect to reach the stars.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42:29 AM »
As a former kid, and a parent who has raised 3 and now working on raising a 4th, and as one who has worked with 'troubled teens' for the last 25 years or so my observations are simple.

Kids are the same.  parents set the tone. 

One of the things I got caught up in believing while working with troubled teens was that all teenagers were problems.  Then my kids got to their teenage years.  I remember going to a basketball game at my kids high school.  I thought it was a time warp to when I was in high school.  It looked and sounded the same.  I found that 99% of the parents were doing just fine along with their kids.  But like anything, you don't see the kids doing well cause it doesn't draw any attention.

I feel blessed to have had good parents.  I really believe my wife and I have done a good job with our kids, and I believe my kids will do well with theirs.

I laugh now when I think about how stupid I thought my Dad was from the time I was probably 15-18.  I then went through that with my son when he was that age.  I remember how it shocked me to hear my Dad's words coming out of my mouth to my son and realizing that he'd done a pretty good job after all :)

Bottom line is you get back what you put into parenting.  And it is on the parents.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2011, 06:45:13 AM »
As clarification on my previous point. I agree parents have a major influence on their children. I was merely attempting to point out there's a noticeable difference in the majority of kids these days. They expect instant results from anything they do.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »

in fact....i raised my hand to my mother once. just once. i woke up on the kitchen floor. thanks to my grand pop. till that day, i never knew an old man(i loved him like a father, but he was still old) could move that fast. i was 13. i was much more respectful of mom after that day. and of how fast an old man could move.

See, that is what amazes me.  You see nothing wrong with the way they were raising you and yet, you had to be knocked out in order to behave.  I know you love your parents and you need to defend them, but don;t you see the fail there?  It should not be about fear.  It should be about respect!  Do not confuse the two!

What you say is that you did not respect them but you respected pain.  That works with wild animals in a circus but is that how we want our children raised?  :huh
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2011, 09:57:25 AM »
Very, very interesting question.

"I am a 14 year old, and just to clarify, the majority of kids arent like that/dont pull off those stunts. sure, theres the occasional idiot who would say stuff like that, but mostly if you give us a legitimate answer, we would back down"

What is a legitimate answer for kids?

For some of them it is something that is told from their parents only
and never from other people.

Sorry but i think that the 'legitimate answer' is  a tautology only - but not from the kids point of view   :D

In general,

Kids cannot build the knowledge they need to survey and many
adults and  societies  ignore this point very much or they choose so because they are mad.

When i go to the bank to get some money i see dozen of people (adult and kids) that open the door
and release it without bring its course; many other that use hats no matter they where.

Silly details?

DAMN it was  not so 25 or 35 years ago !!!

If today is no better then in past time, then, 'waiting for superman', it's time to re-edit 'olds models' a bit and put
all this toejam into the trash as soon as possible.

In also true that kids need space and nature to play and live and we build on the contrary a lot's of terrible thing for they.

Some of you has the fortune to live in a natural country but many kids no.

Let save yourself from the 'Bunga Bunga' model until you can!

In educational field there is a data.

It says that to optimal relationship between pupils and teachers is about of 5 or 6 pupils for each teacher.

If you increments pupils numbers, then  the system became unstable and the education lost his quality.

Well, every people that hear this after says: "It's not possible to have a such system"

This is way we, as society, fail in the education field.

The system is certain possible if we re-think our society.

In past time when kids had young parents and also many gran-parents the system was not optimal but
quite better then know.

They had to answer the classic, lovely, question more frequently: "what did you do at school"; "How do you fill today"; "Why you destroy Mr. Bean plants??" All in the family asked them such questions and gave a variety of possible way of behavior.

Now where are families?

Disappeared? Why?

NO TRUE DEMOCRACY!

FALSE RELIGION!

NO EQUAL ACCESS TO RESOURCES ! 

AND WRONG USE OF THEM!

All that's remain is bad sex, bad drug, bad rock'roll and many stupid kids and men on the road.

Hope Well

We can win, if we reflect on some questions such as:

"For what i must work really? For a car in which i must put oil or it is not indispensable."

Let's find your answer gents.

I'm sure that we find always the same simple answer.

We don't need to tell which this answer is.

We need that it happens only.

Because when it happens, we defeat all the infamous system that work to make our life so brutal.

O.K I went over the top speaking like a politician !    :mad:

:salute

mobilis in mobile

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
And for every kid acting like an idiot, I can point at two adults acting even worse  :old:

So, where is the what is wrong with adults thread?  :lol  One of you kids should start one but remember they will look for a reason to burn you lol.  So, be at your best behavior and give them a lot of rope.  They will figure out what to do with it lol
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:02:38 AM by dedalos »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
See, that is what amazes me.  You see nothing wrong with the way they were raising you and yet, you had to be knocked out in order to behave.  I know you love your parents and you need to defend them, but don;t you see the fail there?  It should not be about fear.  It should be about respect!  Do not confuse the two!

What you say is that you did not respect them but you respected pain.  That works with wild animals in a circus but is that how we want our children raised?  :huh

it was about respect. i got the talk afterwards. it was also about respecting the fact that old guys can indeed do things we as kids think they can't.

that was the only time i ever got hit that hard. and to be honest i deserved it, and know it.

i got spanked a lot when i was  a kid......back then it wasn't fun.  :noid  i deserved that too. i was very far from perfect, and i know that. i still am. but.....had my mom, and grandparents not handled myself, and my brother as they did, chances are very good that we'd have come out to be a couple of asses.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
You are kidding right?
Have you ever tuned to 200 in game?
Imagine the spawn of the chest thumping 25 to 50 year olds whiners in AH.
Then re-think your question.

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:46 AM »
it was about respect. i got the talk afterwards. it was also about respecting the fact that old guys can indeed do things we as kids think they can't.

that was the only time i ever got hit that hard. and to be honest i deserved it, and know it.

i got spanked a lot when i was  a kid......back then it wasn't fun.  :noid  i deserved that too. i was very far from perfect, and i know that. i still am. but.....had my mom, and grandparents not handled myself, and my brother as they did, chances are very good that we'd have come out to be a couple of asses.

So, in your opinion, there was no other way to deal you?  If that is true, how on earth can you ask what is wrong with kids today when the only solution to deal with kids back then was a good beating?  I can tell you mine and pretty match all my friends and neighbors behave without the need to be knocked out or for me to impress them by moving like lightning when they "deserve it".  So, I guess, kids now days are better then our generation.

I also know that it is impossible to get anyone who was brought up like that to actually think it was wrong for several reasons:
Check Westy's post again for a few of them.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
mobilis in mobile