Author Topic: Is this what Hitech wants?  (Read 24213 times)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Re: Is this what Hitech wants?
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »
Style matters, if you want someone to be receptive and you are well aware of that.  But you weren't out to convince me otherwise, you were trolling.

Perhaps if you presented information, or said to search for something specifically and outright my ideals on the matter might be swayed.  I'm not hard headed nor do I argue just to argue or to win.  I want someone to either help me view what might be the truth or somehow see that my ideas are correct.  I have gained NEITHER from this discussion.  Instead, you decided to nit pick stupid details in a passive aggressive manor, and then go on to say that somehow my point of view doesn't carry weight (what kind of person says that, really?).

You know exactly what you were trying to do, no one is accidentally passive aggressive.  I'm actually fairly upset with myself that I've managed to let you get under my skin.

I'm 22, so yes, I am young.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:02:54 AM by SectorNine50 »
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »
no wonder you hate arguing with me so much  :D
wrong on all counts. You're chasing an emotional reward that doesn't exist.

Style matters, if you want someone to be receptive and you are well aware of that.  But you weren't out to convince me otherwise, you were trolling.
wrong, unless you're debating someone less than honest. Style is irrelevant unless appeals to emotion are considered not fallacious. They are.
Welcome to the real world.  Not everyone is from your home town, not everyone expresses themselves with tropes familiar to you. The only common ground with foreign cultures is reason and empirical evidence. Formal rhetorics were codified a long time ago... Look them up and see for yourself.  Don't try to use them for any agenda other than the truth... Whatever the truth is. IOW regardless whether it contradicts or supports your current beliefs.
Perhaps if you presented information, or said to search for something specifically and outright my ideals on the matter might be swayed.
I can't think of anything more specific than... "hordes" "toolsheders" or "toolshedders" plural or singular, "furballers", "CV", "drop fighter hangars" and so on. Sorry.  By and large these discussions were in General Discussion forum, though.
I'm not hard headed nor do I argue just to argue or to win.  I want someone to either help me view what might be the truth or somehow see that my ideas are correct.  I have gained NEITHER from this discussion.  Instead, you decided to nit pick stupid details in a passive aggressive manor, and the go on to say that somehow my point of view doesn't carry weight (what kind of person says that, really?).
If you're motivated by unconditional want of truth, start with the bold part.  I don't nit pick (note I pointed out which argument of yours actually was hitting the heart of the matter and was most worth pursuing) and don't do passive aggression.  Take my word for it.
You know exactly what you were trying to do, no one is accidentally passive aggressive.  I'm actually fairly upset with myself that I've managed to let you get under my skin.
Completely wrong, lighten up.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:10:09 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »
Some serious quote wars going down in this thread. :lol

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2011, 12:16:24 AM »
says you  :neener:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:09 AM »
I'd never have the patience for it sober.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »

Well, then don't combat it and go elsewhere.  But don't complain about it happening.

Perhaps you're right and I should just take my money elsewhere.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2011, 12:28:13 AM »
Perhaps you're right and I should just take my money elsewhere.

dude, don't take the game so seriously....
step 1

1) forget about score
2) think of it as a bar with airplanes
3) joke around and don't care, have fun, and if people are being lame, its an excuse for humor.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2011, 12:29:15 AM »
oh forgot step 2, almost like you  :neener:

step 2

have fun.....
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
Quote from: moot

I'm aware you are well versed in debate tactics and I'm sure you got the desired results.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
wrong and now it sounds like you wish I were passive aggressive etc
You're too involved emotionally to take plain sense spelled out at face value
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:42:38 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:43 AM »
oh forgot step 2, almost like you  :neener:

step 2

have fun.....

Isn't this just what we're tryign to discuss here? That the fun aspect is gone when you are against stupendously overwhelming odds? Even if you absolutely rule the skies you're in the end limited by time and the ammo/fuel you have available.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:52 AM »
wrong and now it sounds like you wish I were passive aggressive etc
You're too involved emotionally to take plain sense spelled out at face value

I don't wish anything except for you to stop saying that everything I say is wrong (I'm not even sure how you managed to say 'wrong' to that).

Of course I'm involved emotionally, I'm human, and I don't have the skill and practice you do in removing myself from arguments and discussions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:51:19 AM by SectorNine50 »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
Ripley the way I see it... The only way to fairly judge the hordes is to say: they've got more friends than you do.  Because really they're only using the same rules everyone is.  They sure are having their fun at the expense of everyone else's, but can you say they broke any rules?  These guys are playing the rules for all they're worth and the best response is to team up with friends of your own and give em a good fight. It's somewhat unfortunate for any of the casual squads like (in my impression) any of the squads you or I have been in, that squads like the horde squads have a monopoly on soaking up all the free radical players into their land grabbing machinery; that on any given night their squad will outnumber your friends (squad) or mine.

That's probably what they're not sensible to.  In all previous debates, except one where Joker admitted as much, the horde is oblivious to the simple point that a fight's only as good as the peril it challenges.  No peril, no victory.  No proportionate defense against their horde attack, no meaning to their land grab.

Fun as a criteria doesn't lead very far. Their fun evidently doesn't match yours and vice versa.

I don't wish anything except for you to stop saying that everything I say is wrong
I'll say it everytime you're wrong
(I'm not even sure how you managed to say 'wrong' to that).
See for yourself:
I'm aware you are well versed in debate tactics
Only by so much practice and
and I'm sure you got the desired results.
you throwing a fit and going into "hands on ears lalalalalalala" mode isn't my desired result
Of course I'm involved emotionally, I'm human, and I don't have the skill and practice you do in removing myself from arguments and discussions.
Sounds like some of that passive aggression you pretend I rely on. Removing yourself AKA dispassionate perspective is what any debater should strive for. Don't take my word for it.  Approach the idea from a different direction - consider this:
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
but rather when there is nothing more to take away.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:59:24 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2011, 12:59:05 AM »
doppelposten
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
I wasn't being passive aggressive, it was a compliment to your abilities.  I'm sorry if I wrote it in a way that sounded off-putting.

My hands weren't to my ears, and still aren't.  But comments like this:

Quote from: moot
Your credibility just lawdarted.  You're either purposefully skewing or just haven't been around enough games.  AH is one of the more casual, friendly games.  Aside the superfluous real estater/furballer purse fights, there's nothing in AH that compares with some of the sheer rotten attitude prevalent in many games.  You don't know what you're talking about on this one.

Are completely unwarranted, and are what really set me off and is where the:
Quote from: SectorNine50
So you are more credible on the topic then?  I'd like to know how you figure.
comment spawned from.  Just because I'm 22 and have different views doesn't mean that "I don't know what I'm talking about."

You may not agree, but I do see the similarities in the people in all online games I've played, be it an FPS, MMORPG, or an RTS.  There are those who are cool and nice, then there are those who have a "sheer rotten attitude."  I believe both co-exist in this game as well, as I have seen both.  The reason I feel some games come off as more of a rotten attitude are because chatting in games like FPS's often isn't done unless someone is extremely unhappy with something someone did.  Conversations don't happen as openly in those games as they do on 200, so yes, in that sense it is more casual and friendly.  But you can argue that those purse fights are the only times people talk in other games.

Just saying, that comment I believe is where I became angry and "pluged my ears" so to speak.  And if your goal wasn't to get under my skin, some of your earlier comments certainly don't imply that by any means.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:22:26 AM by SectorNine50 »