Author Topic: Is this what Hitech wants?  (Read 23745 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Is this what Hitech wants?
« Reply #540 on: March 07, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
Wabbit kick me in the nuts for saying so, but I reckon that's a bad analogy because it's set up as a 1:1.

In my opinion, the difference is irrelevant.

Whether it is a individual in a chess match,
a company in the market place,
or a football team on the field,
or an AH team in the arena,
failure to perform in a competitive environment should lead to consequences that might not be pleasant at that moment.

That is the strong motivation to avoid failure, and powerful encouragement to find a solution on the next try.

That's not the point...

It is depending on which poster you are referring too.  Some have a belief that the horde CAN NOT be effectively countered or matched.  Rolex was implying that it could.  I was supporting his assertion with sarcasm.  ;)

Regards,
Wab

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:27:44 PM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #541 on: March 07, 2011, 06:10:33 PM »
You can't hazard a guess? What do you THINK? Do you think it would be fun for you and your 30 closest friends to just take bases completely unopposed for a month?
Although I joy fighting their horde, they more than enjoy it, just log on at 2 am, you will see them take bases ad nauseum with out resistance...
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #542 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
But it is about overall numbers, it is the root and basis of this problem.

No, it isn't.

Everything you're saying is based on one erroneous premise, which is that the players for any given country are usually distributed more or less evenly between the respective fronts for that country's two opponents. In other words, you're assuming that generally, if there are 100 bish, 80 rooks, and 80 nits on, the rooks are being fought by 40 nits and 50 bish, the nits are being fought by 40 rooks and 50 bish, and the bish are being fought by 40 rooks and 40 nits and thus have an "excess" of 20 players.

But that is rarely the case. More likely the bish are being fought by 78 rooks and 77 nits and all of 5 nits and rooks are fighting each other. So the bish's "excess" of 20 players disappears and instead they're outnumbered 3-2 across both fronts.

Change any of the country names around and it's equally true, and that or a lesser version (where, say, 20-30 of the rooks and nits are fighting each other and the bish are "only" outnumbered 1.3 to 1) is what you usually see in the MA.

The dynamics of a 3-way game are nothing at all like those of a 2-way game.

How is stricter eny going to make it worse?  and on who?

Stricter ENY will make it worse because it will give that much more incentive for the smaller sides not to fight each other at all, because if they gang the larger side they'll have the numbers AND the enemy will be flying crappy ENY 30+ planes against low-cost perk rides.

There's little more annoying than being outnumbered almost 2-1 and having the other side show up in Tempests and 262s while you're stuck in P-40s and A6M2s.

BUT even then, we're still talking about overall numbers, which have NOTHING to do with hordes. You badly misunderstand why and how hordes form. It's the result of an aggregate of individual decisions by individual players to lump together, not the result of some commanding general's decision to use his extra assets in a particular way.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #543 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »
You can't hazard a guess? What do you THINK? Do you think it would be fun for you and your 30 closest friends to just take bases completely unopposed for a month?

Its happened several times already, I have seen them horde a base and nobody wants to up anymore, its just too many to contend with sometimes and it just gets old for the defenders, usually the hangers go down before anyone gets up anyway even if they wanted to.  So for him to say it hasn't isn't true, unless he is counting the 1 guy that happened to make it up and in that case ......

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #544 on: March 07, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »

How is stricter eny going to make it worse?  and on who?

While I support a fresh look at ENY, I don't think it will have any effect on the local hoards rolling bases.  Dads, I'm sure you remember the old RT 190A8 missions that Falcon23 would put together when ENY got high.  Base rolling can be done just as easily in high ENY aircraft.

I think I would rather the dar range be extended farther and if one side outnumbers another in a given sector (or maybe zone) by X amount (to be determined) the dar would go all the way to the ground to eliminate the NOE when there is a large local imbalance.

For me, the answer is making changes that give the defenders a bit more warning (time to defend).  It is still up to them to actually do it though.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #545 on: March 07, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »
No, it isn't.

everything after this point is trivial...................... .................

If you cant see that this is a problem, we will agree to disagree.  

When any side can have 40+ on a side that is a problem in any game.  

Your simplistic view is clouded by your inexperience and lack of venture of these other sides to see exactly what is happening.  I used to think the same way until I got out and seen the light. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:19:41 PM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »

It will never happen, so the question is pointless.

Despite the endless whining and crying here, fights are very easy to find most nights and base takes are usually opposed.

Although I joy fighting their horde, they more than enjoy it, just log on at 2 am, you will see them take bases ad nauseum with out resistance...

Not since LWOH was introduced you won't, especially not on a narrow map like Mindanao.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
The question isn't pointless. You don't have to answer it, that is absolutely your perogative - but I'm beginning to think you are definately in the camp of those whom I will never really understand.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #548 on: March 07, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »
If you cant see that this is a problem, we will agree to disagree.  

When any side can have 40+ on a side that is a problem in any game.  

They DON'T HAVE 40+

They have FEWER because they are fighting nearly the full strength of BOTH OPPONENTS.

I don't know how you can possibly fail to understand that. OVERALL NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING BECAUSE THE OPPONENTS ARE NOT EQUALLY DISTRIBUTED AGAINST EACH OTHER.

LOCAL CONDITIONS on each of the fronts determines who has a numerical advantage.

OVERALL NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING.

This is NOT irrelevant, it is the only thing that IS relevant WRT this question.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #549 on: March 07, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »
While I support a fresh look at ENY, I don't think it will have any effect on the local hoards rolling bases.  

I dont want it to have an effect on local hordes at all..... Thats the spice of this whole thing, only thing it would effect is not having the extra 40 guys a side could bring because eny isnt doing anything to slow it down.  

:aok

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #550 on: March 07, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
The question isn't pointless.

Again. It is pointless because it has never happened, is not happening now, and will never happen.

It's like asking if you'd be lonely if you lived in NYC and every other inhabitant moved to Detroit. It's a question premised on nonsense. Answering it gives it more dignity than it merits.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #551 on: March 07, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »
I dont want it to have an effect on local hordes at all..... Thats the spice of this whole thing, only thing it would effect is not having the extra 40 guys a side could bring because eny isnt doing anything to slow it down.  

I'm with you on that score.  Did the ENY system change in the last year or so?  I don't fly low ENY planes, but I also can't remember the last time the system told me I couldn't fly what I wanted because of ENY, which used to happen once in awhile.  Did HTC loosen up the ENY rules?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #552 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »
They DON'T HAVE 40+

They have FEWER because they are fighting nearly the full strength of BOTH OPPONENTS.

I don't know how you can possibly fail to understand that. OVERALL NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING BECAUSE THE OPPONENTS ARE NOT EQUALLY DISTRIBUTED AGAINST EACH OTHER.

LOCAL CONDITIONS on each of the fronts determines who has a numerical advantage.

OVERALL NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING.

This is NOT irrelevant, it is the only thing that IS relevant WRT this question.

Again, your wrong.  And your entitled to your twisted logic no matter how you want to quantify and justify having 40 extra players on a side, there is nothing fair about it when eny has little or no effect.    :aok
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:33:14 PM by Dadsguns »

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #553 on: March 07, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
Again. It is pointless because it has never happened, is not happening now, and will never happen.

It's like asking if you'd be lonely if you lived in NYC and every other inhabitant moved to Detroit. It's a question premised on nonsense. Answering it gives it more dignity than it merits.

Like I said... you don't have to answer it. Hell, the way you are refusing to answer it is answer enough for me.

I would just love to know why you think it is fun - I have never had it explained to me in a way that really resonated with me.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #554 on: March 07, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
I'm with you on that score.  Did the ENY system change in the last year or so?  I don't fly low ENY planes, but I also can't remember the last time the system told me I couldn't fly what I wanted because of ENY, which used to happen once in awhile.  Did HTC loosen up the ENY rules?

It has always been the greater the numbers in the arena the greater the gap or amount of players needed to get to 40%,,, which you end up with 40-50 players difference before you start seeing eny kick in sometimes.....  When eny gets to 10 your talking about alot of players that can still bring alot of ords with some decent planes, too little too late.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:31:44 PM by Dadsguns »