Author Topic: 262 peer  (Read 5182 times)

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
262 peer
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
It seems a bit odd to only have one jet fighter.  What jet airplanes were operational in ww2? I readheard there were P80s in italy prior to the end of the war.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: 262 peer
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

Need a Gloster Meteor

But I'd first like to see what we have now get remodeled.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
See, I saw this thing here, and I didn't understand... something about MILFs... so I googled it....

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »
The 262 has many peers in this game. The Gloster wasn't one of them. The 262 is more than readily brought down by p51s, p47s, p38s, spitfires, 109s, and more often than not the first ping from any bomber formation inside 1000 yards.

It's a false argument to request the gloster because it's the "262's peer" -- it wasn't. It was hoarded and hidden and kept safe from all harm. Because of that it saw precious little actual combat and never proved itself.

The 262 was operational in number as early as mid 1944. And seeing combat. Keep that in mind when you consider what "peers" it had.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »
You have to be careful in speaking in such absolutes Krusty.   While I'm not one who sees the Meteor as a need, it certainly warrants consideration for addition to the game at some point.  Based on conversations I had back in my Spit XII researching days, with a B of B vet turned Supermarine Service test pilot, then a 616 squadron Meteor pilot, the Meteor was a peer of the 262.  He was on the continent with 616 and ended up flying a 262 prior to the end of the war.  He described the performance as similar.  He saw the 262 armament as the biggest difference.

Remember the RAF had the luxury of easing the Meteor into action.  Neither the 262 or Meteor were used on offensive ops.  The 262 had to get into action fast as the fight was over it's turf.  When the V-1s started flying to England the Meteor got in the game.  both the 262 and Meteor essentially were forced into service to deal with the terror weapons of the time.  Had the tables been turned and the airwar was driving over Allied turf, you can bet the Meteor would have been much more in the thick of it.  As is, it was there, saw operational service, killed some V-1s in the summer of 44 and was on the Continent with 616 and another squadron when the war ended.

Certainly there are other birds that should get in game first in my opinion, a certain Bristol made twin engined bird being one of them, but the Meteor would not be a bad idea.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
I mentioned the Meteor because it seemed what dirtdart was asking for. I would like to see it in AH, but sometime in the future, there are a lot of other things that we need before this.

By "peer" I think he meant something that was jet powered as well.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:39:09 AM »
I dont think p80s were in Italy becouse the european war ended before the p80 entered service ('45 late july). Also i dont even think the meteor seen any flying enemy aircraft during the war.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:40:10 AM »
The Meteor Mk. I certainly wasn't the Me262's peer in terms of performance. It was very lack luster in that department, just a little faster then the best prop fighters at the time.

The Meteor Mk. III on the other hand would definitely be a better choice in terms of "adding something of value" in terms of performance. As it stands, there's a massive jump in top speed from the K4/P51D/La7/Tempest to the Me262; the Mk. III would fit somewhere in between.

The Mk. III saw extremely little action in the last month of the war in Europe. The war ended with the Meteors having destroyed 46 German aircraft through ground attack. However, the Mk. III does indeed meet HiTech's criteria for adding new planes to Aces High: It was in squadron service and fired its guns in anger. It would definitely be the most rare and exotic additions to the sim.

Finding plausible performance data for the Mk. III is proving rather hard. But I found the following information posted in ww2incolour's forum:

"I was lucky to find the following data in a book "WW2 - Aircraft", by Christopher Chant, (Orbis Publishing Limited, London, 1975)." which stats the following performance data:

Gloster Meteor F. Mk III

Powerplant: 2X Rolls Royce Derwent I, 907 kp of static thrust at sea level
Maximum speed: 793 km/h (492MPH) at 9150 m; 737 km/h (458MPH) at sea level
Armament: 4X20 mm Hispano Mod. III, 195 shells per cannon
Range: 2157 km, with 563 km/h cruising speed at 9.150 m
Service ceiling: 13,100 m (42,979ft)
Velocity of climb: 1213 m/min. (3979ft/min)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:15:10 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:58:23 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Need a Gloster Meteor

But I'd first like to see what we have now get remodeled.

That's not a version which saw combat during WWII, note the clipped wings and longer engine nacelles, paint, markings among other things.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:47:00 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:42:28 AM »
Anyway, the meteor would be perfect to intercept v1s, and there is a huge gap between the temp and the 262, at the 100 perks range.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:16:49 AM »
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:47:07 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 04:24:32 AM »
From what I understand wouldnt it be better then the 262 for fighting other fighters?
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 04:29:23 AM »
120 perks for a Meteor  :aok
Now we have the B29 only the sky is the limit!

What I find interresting is that the meteor's deck speed is not much lower than the Alt speed, I wonder if it would be a brick like the AH 262 up there? The wing's shape hints that it would be pretty decent  :angel:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 05:18:11 AM »
I bet the meteor would be better against fighters, not against bombers. What would be its turn rate compared to the 262?
AoM
City of ice

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 05:52:31 AM »
All the words Krusty wrote are true, don't knock him for that, it's all very accurate in terms of historical usage.  With that said, here in AH, and although we do have ground rules that follow a  reasonable semblance of fairness, now with the B29, it might prove a sound decision to insert a few more "cusp" birds...... Ones that although never flew at squadron strength or saw "much" action. 

Why not? 

And perhaps the real value of these things could be confined to a special "1945 arena." 

And BTW MILF guys...........    Having both the acronym and the word Meteor is sorta...........  stupid........  It's like say HIV virus. 

+1 for the Meteor, +1 for the future!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.