Author Topic: 262 peer  (Read 5118 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: 262 peer
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 12:56:25 PM »
This whole convo makes me think that my page 1 idea has more and more merit than first thought......

And perhaps the real value of these things could be confined to a special "1945 arena." 

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
Any number of experimental configurations, designs, and prototypes saw as much if not MORE "combat" than the Meteor saw, leading the way to open the doors for any number of 'Luft '46 designs.

IMO one of the things I like about the inclusions in AH is that you could very well have experienced the war like that. Not so much a what-if as if you added the Do-335 or the Meteor Mk.III. Heck at least the He162 had air to air combat and everybody agrees it was really too late to make a difference.

I'm not totally against the Meteor as a plane. I'm against thinking it's a WW2 plane. It had a long long career after WW2 and was developed and improved many times (post-war). Overall it doesn't fit the mold for other AH planes in this game.

So, IF we had it, I wouldn't mind. If it appeared in-game magically. However, in the petition (in the mental debate, the arguments on the forums) to include it into AH I'd say "no" because it wasn't much of an impact, it wasn't much of a threat, it saw next to no service/combat.

I think that your logic may be a bit off.  We have a few planes/vehicles whose overall impact to the war could be dubious.  Again, I defer to the "what makes the game interesting" for folks as the measure, not how many planes it shot down or vehicles it destroyed.  I would think that having an alternative jet to the 262 would be "interesting".  I have read, but do not have original source stuff that there were P-80s flying out of Italy in early 45'.  More than likely this is false or the "squadron strength" piece may be missing.  That leaves the Salamander and the Meteor.  Given the natural tendancy for rivalry, we might see the luft guys fighting 262s against the Spit guys in meteors.  Just saying. 

Planes that are interesting to me are those that can add a new challenge.  Trying to best a 262 in a meteor might be a hard task, but at least you will not need a 5k dive to catch it (just a 2k lol....). 

This whole convo makes me think that my page 1 idea has more and more merit than first thought......

Nah brother... that would be a mess me thinks.  Seafurys/tigercats/bearcats/p-51Hs/DO-335s etc..... might as well make the Korean War come about (noooooooooooo!)

(or heck, a Ju388!!)

That would be the plane to run down a 29'.....
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
I think that your logic may be a bit off.  We have a few planes/vehicles whose overall impact to the war could be dubious. 

Impact? That's different from actual experience in the war. I'm not disagreeing there, just saying 1) those are already in-game as mentioned I'm discussing new additions rather than existing ones, and 2) I wouldn't really be for a plane that saw no action in the war (note: that's not to say no IMPACT on the war, just some noteworthy amount of actual action)

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
Impact? That's different from actual experience in the war. I'm not disagreeing there, just saying 1) those are already in-game as mentioned I'm discussing new additions rather than existing ones, and 2) I wouldn't really be for a plane that saw no action in the war (note: that's not to say no IMPACT on the war, just some noteworthy amount of actual action)

I conceed to your point on not discussing what is in the game.... I was going to go Ostwind on ya... :aok

Define noteworthy.... should we have the Swordfish because it disabled the Bismark?
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »

Define noteworthy.... should we have the Swordfish because it disabled the Bismark?

I vote YES!!!   :aok  The B5N just does not cut it in scenarios when we're supposed to be flying the Swordfish.   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 06:43:38 PM »
lol wtf!
Might not know about original milf
Trying to best a 262 in a meteor might be a hard task,
Ahhh I gotta question that. 
but at least you will not need a 5k dive to catch it (just a 2k lol....). 
Thats more like it.  Dont sound challenging to me.

Your logic would exclude the Ta152 then Krusty considering it's limited use.   Meteor was operational and firing it's guns long before the 152.  It was on the continent initially as a defense against the 262 but they never met.  They were flying ground attack in the last month of the war. 
Must account for circumstances: losing country on tail end of attrition
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:48:19 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
I like dpaste
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
I have read, but do not have original source stuff that there were P-80s flying out of Italy in early 45'.  More than likely this is false or the "squadron strength" piece may be missing.  

Two. YP-80s. No combat. Just flying around.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 07:13:59 PM »
That's too bad really, cause it's a beautiful plane.  Easily better looking than the Meteor IMPO

Found this looking up the YP80:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor_F8_%22Prone_Pilot%22
Too bad there doesn't seem to be any pics of a non-R&D non-quasimodo-looking single pilot version
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:15:57 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
+1 for Meteor Mk III, a jet that the newer pilot can land hits in
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
Understand this: The Meteor with its lighter wingloading would be much more maneuverable than the 262, and have four easy-aim lazer Hizookas in the nose, while still out-running everything with a prop. IOW, by all rights it would need a HIGHER perk price than the 262.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »
Please do explain that sir?  S.A.P.P. is fine, but if it said S.A.P.P. Pilots that would be like M.I.L.F. Meteor. 

Secret alliance p38 people
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 11:06:14 PM »
Understand this: The Meteor with its lighter wingloading would be much more maneuverable than the 262, and have four easy-aim lazer Hizookas in the nose, while still out-running everything with a prop. IOW, by all rights it would need a HIGHER perk price than the 262.
In the perk subject I would make it the exact same perk price as 262's. 262 is faster, more maneuverable at higher speeds, 30mm cannons.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 11:24:11 PM »
more maneuverable at higher speeds
source?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
Secret alliance p38 people

Secret Association of P-38 Pilots....and nowhere in the logo is it redundant :)
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||