Author Topic: new boat ----> LCT(R)  (Read 5152 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: new boat ----> LCT(R)
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »
eskimojoe before noon...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
lol joe...think "launch sequence", "launch wave", etc...if you have 6000 total launching 1000 per sequence...that's 6 launches.

Um.. if you had 6000 rockets and you fired them....you'd have 6,000 launches.  Unless we think communism-style, and each rocket isn't an individual...

Definition of LAUNCH
transitive verb
a : to throw forward : hurl b : to release, catapult, or send off (a self-propelled object) <launch a rocket>

English sure is a funny language.   
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
Um.. if you had 6000 rockets and you fired them....you'd have 6,000 launches.  Unless we think communism-style, and each rocket isn't an individual...

English sure is a funny language.  
appears to go over your head...  :rolleyes:
jarhed  

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »
appears to go over your head...  :rolleyes:

You obviously can't take being chided, unsurprisingly.  Not my fault the language has too much "nuance" for you.

For instance, If someone says... "I'm going to launch 1000 rockets."  "Launch" is not plural.  "Rockets" is.  You're wrong.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:10:15 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »
Sheesh eJoe.......  We are just playing with it... BUT....  technically, Gyrene explains the situation correctly.  The way he wrote it, 1000 rockets was a single launch.  Nothing more to say, it is just the written English language and there is no ambiguity.  Now at the same time, we all realize what he meant, but it's more fun this way.  

Take a pill.   :neener:

his statement was this..
says they had 5000 rockets below deck for reload, so a total of 6000 launches, launching 1000 at a time....

While it is a bit ambiguous and could definitely be stated more clearly, "launches" and "launching" are mutually exclusive to each other in that statement.  Meaning "launching 1000 at a time" has nothing to do with "6000 launches" in that statement.  Especially since he stated "a total of".  That should have cleared your "brotha math", which I'm not sure what exactly you mean by.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:12:13 PM by MORAY37 »
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
You obviously can't take being chided, unsurprisingly.  Not my fault the language has too much "nuance" for you.

For instance, If someone says... "I'm going to launch 1000 rockets."  "Launch" is not plural.  "Rockets" is.  You're wrong.
really now...if someone says i have 6000 rockets and i can launch up to 1000 at a time in one sequence...what does that tell you?

maybe rewording it...i have 6000 rockets total and i can launch up to 1000 in a single wave...

i'll do 4th grade for you...johnny has 6000 rockets...he can fire off 1000 rockets simultaneously...how many times can johnny simultaneously launch 1000 rockets?

this would be opposed to...johnny has 6000 rockets...he can prepare 1000 rockets to fire and launch them 1 at a time...how many times can johnny launch 1 rocket?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:13:40 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »
really now...if someone says i have 6000 rockets and i can launch up to 1000 at a time in one sequence...what does that tell you?

maybe rewording it...i have 6000 rockets total and i can launch up to 1000 in a single wave...

i'll do 4th grade for you...johnny has 6000 rockets...he can fire off 1000 rockets simultaneously...how many times can johnny simultaneously launch 1000 rockets?

Launch is a transitive verb describing one action.  The noun after it may be plural, but it determines the number of singular actions.  

Go ahead and do some reading.  You're wrong. You're attempting to turn a transitive verb into a noun.  The only way "launch" is a noun is where you put a canoe in the water, or if you're talking about a powerboat.

Also, I did not belittle you.  It's not my fault you're incorrect.  The word "launch" has no inference to "sequence" or "wave" by definition.  There is no implicit meaning that matches your reference.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:26:25 PM by MORAY37 »
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 02:28:06 PM »
Launch is a transitive verb describing one action.  The noun after it may be plural, but it determines the number of singular actions.  

Go ahead and do some reading.  You're wrong. You're attempting to turn a transitive verb into a noun.  The only way "launch" is a noun is where you put a canoe in the water.

Also, I did not belittle you.  It's not my fault you're incorrect.
uh huh...i don't recall trying to say launch was a noun...in your haste to be right at all costs...you missed the important words within the sentences i.e. contextual usage.

and so you don't mistake the usage again...in order for the word to be used as a noun..."the act of launching"..."the act or instance of launching"...which is to propel with force, or set into motion.
jarhed  

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
OH GEEZ........

We have gone so far off topic......................

Can we Launch a new thread? 

:bolt:
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
i'll take nouns for $500 alex...  :D
jarhed  

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
This device utilized a Redstone Missile "bob-tail" engine, with the trust chamber removed and was positioned next to the now famous Redstone Interim Test Stand in 1953.........................

i'll take nouns for $500 alex...  :D

I should warn our players, the correct answer is a Proper Noun.   :old:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:46:17 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »
says they had 5000 rockets below deck for reload, so a total of 6000 launches, launching 1000 at a time....

+10000000 then...

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
:aok
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »
OH GEEZ........

We have gone so far off topic......................

Can we Launch a new thread? 

:bolt:

Its tempting...

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
I should warn our players, the correct answer is a Proper Noun.   :old:
:headscratch:  darn, i guess i lost on jeopardy  :lol
jarhed