Author Topic: new boat ----> LCT(R)  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: new boat ----> LCT(R)
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
Could also fire the US 4.5" and 5" rockets IIRC.

You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
range for the 60 lb version is about 1600m(1749.781277 yards) or 0.994193908(nearly 1 mile) miles

and heres 2 dif versions/ammo types we could load maybe?

60 lb Shell, HE/SAP (Semi-armour piercing)

60 lb Shell, HE/GP, (general purpose)

it could be interesting having both

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »
I'd say SAP since they're already in the game (typhoon uses HE/SAP rockets).
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 08:13:41 PM »
I'd say SAP since they're already in the game (typhoon uses HE/SAP rockets).

but whats the BIG difference, if they count lbs instead of penetration on buildings?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
They already kill buildings quite nicely. There is damage done from the impact as well as the explosion.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
They already kill buildings quite nicely. There is damage done from the impact as well as the explosion.

Your the expert

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 09:29:11 PM »
Test it yourself. Its the same with shells from tanks. Most shells only have an explosive charge of a couple pounds, yet any of calliber 75mm or greater will kill a town building in 2 rounds.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
Test it yourself. Its the same with shells from tanks. Most shells only have an explosive charge of a couple pounds, yet any of calliber 75mm or greater will kill a town building in 2 rounds.

THought that AP was solid munitions

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 12:27:31 AM »
The rocket is only semi-armor piercing; it still has an HE component. I'm not entirely sure what the weight of the HE charge was, or how armor penetration was achieved, all I know is that it is both High Explosive, and armor penetrating.

IIRC, some US shells also had an HE component that detonated after the armor was penetrated, causing more damage than solid AP shell would.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
The rocket is only semi-armor piercing; it still has an HE component. I'm not entirely sure what the weight of the HE charge was, or how armor penetration was achieved, all I know is that it is both High Explosive, and armor penetrating.

IIRC, some US shells also had an HE component that detonated after the armor was penetrated, causing more damage than solid AP shell would.

i think we should ave the option of witch one we would want to take

Offline stabbyy

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »

well all ap shells have explosives in them armor penetration is useally achieved by having the tip be solid with a delayed fuze by a few mil a secounds so it impacts breaks into the armor then explodes SAP would be a multi purpose rocket not good enough to use strictly against tanks or buildings but inbetween on both

the HE would have a bigger blast radius and more overall dmg but useless against anything with armor but great for killing buildings/guns

more or less differance is HE has a contact tip on the tip which opoun impact makes the shell explode(which brings the question how do tanks bounce he?)

AP has a delayed fuze useally in the back of the shell to go off a very short time after impact and the tip is useally metal so it can break the armor..

at leaste thats what i know as far as how AP works and... on that rocket the warhead is 27kg which is why its called the rp-3/60lb(rocket projectile 3"/60 lb warhead)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:37:40 AM by stabbyy »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
OK, thanks. So 60lbs is refering to the weight of the warhead, not the overall weight of the rocket.

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
AP is just solid shot APHE has the explosive charge but APHE was discontinued because it dident have the same penetration that AP had due to lower mass of the shell. Speed and mass equal penetration.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
Allright I'm educated but we have gone off topic just a bit. Which should it take or should we have the option to choose? I would imagine Semi AP would be best for things like shore bats, but he best for towns. AA wise i think some only had 1 5 inch and auto gun.

Offline stabbyy

• Copper Member
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
AP is just solid shot APHE has the explosive charge but APHE was discontinued because it dident have the same penetration that AP had due to lower mass of the shell. Speed and mass equal penetration.

u come to this conlcusion how? also our tanks today still use SAPHE rounds which is semi armor pericing high explosive rounds

if you used a solid metal round it would bounce off the tank or go right threw it... it would not actaully destroy the armored target unless u hit a critical part??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/ArmorPiercingShell.png  << click it

1 Light weight ballistic cap  << numbers for it
2 Steel alloy piercing shell
3 Desensitized bursting charge (TNT, Trinitrophenol, RDX...)
4 Fuse (set with delay to explode inside the target)
5 Bourrelet (front) and driving band (rear)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:19:03 PM by stabbyy »