Author Topic: Arena where all players are on one side  (Read 2144 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Arena where all players are on one side
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
If the goal is to allow multiple distinct but separated fights to take place at the same time during prime time, then the LARGE MAP fad of the last few years is working. It also allows for choosing to avoid conflict in the massive empty territories in between the fights. Most humans by natural temperment are individualy risk adverse. The real humans who live to fight are in the militairy, jail, or combat clowns on television for our amusment.

A unique phenominon of games like this is the reversal of human survival nature in some players. Normaly they are conservitively risk adverse in life where thier physical well being might be exposed to danger. But, in anonymous virtual environments like this, with the lack of physical consiquences, become hyper agressive and insensative to anything but thier need to dominate others for that primal endorphin fix their other wise conservitive nature deinies them in real life.

If this game were named "Duel of the Aces" and the DA was the primary environment, Hitech would be broke. The few times lately that I've stayed around for the late night arena, the culture is a bit different than the prime time arena. Players appear to not be as interested in "fighting" as they are in prime time. This observation may be an over simplification. Late night does not have sufficient enough players to create the illusion of groups wanting to fight which tends to concentrate an availability of easy protaganists for conflict seekers. As a result you have a diffusion of players across the arena due to the realities of human risk aversive nature.

Each player is paying $14.95 to be a winner in their own fantasy. And a winner they will be, or they will stop paying Hitech $14.95. They are not required to live up to anyone's ARBITRARY standards of playing this game or hitech would have written that in stone when you login to the game on the splash screen. Shouting at a mountain won't make it move. But it's your $14.95 and blood preassure levels.

The illusion of a fight takes place during prime time due to numbers. The reality of human survival conditioning is show cased in the late night arena due to the lack of numbers. Life is about choices. Wonder what the mountain thinks about all this shouting? But then, an endorphin fix isn't a very logical thing to be shouting about. Though it is by definition a legal opiate. But, it is related to cocaine and heroin......just musing here......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »
Would much smaller maps make the difference to account for the reduction in numbers?
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »
Ha Ha BillyD you must be one of the tank drivers I whack every time you up. It is a honor to be a member of the most hated squad in AH (S.O.A.R.) I see more stuff written in the BBS about us than any other squad. I see people write things about S.O.A.R. that are new to this game and most likely never even came up against any of us and all they know is hear say. But I forgive you BillyD for being a jerk since you are probably only 14 years old.

Sorry, SOAR comes in a close second in the "Most Hated Squad" category...right behind "LCA Blut und Ehre" of 2007. 
Tours 86 - 296

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »
bunnies, please tell them they need their own arena.  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »
bunnies, please tell them they need their own arena.  :D :D :D :D :D

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm jealous, you were able to up and get there before it was over. oh wait you were fighting rooks, thats why, not the same group. If  they were from last night when the 'situation' I was referring to did not happen. I was on last night too.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:58:10 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
I'm jealous, you were able to up and get there before it was over.

whats the difference, you'd get ho'd twenty times before you'd get to town or gain workable alt.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
Female Dogs abound, EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!

Quit whining like a 6 year old JAP and play the game in front of you!  

And I do love screen shots like these.................  One side has teamwork, or as the enemy says, horde and somehow it's them that are fluffied up.     But female dogs, where are your countrymen?  Sounds like you play for the pissycat country.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
whats the difference, you'd get ho'd twenty times before you'd get to town or gain workable alt.

:rofl :rofl :rofl
Thats true, but you got to up none the less. Sads and I several nights ago were in a similar situation, the two of us were at a base that looked just like that. There was a ridge line right along the base and I would fly along side it very closely, and twice planes would dive on me, not be able to pull up in time, and hit the ridge  :rofl :rofl

It made me forget about all the ho's in no time and enjoy the fact that I could still play against other humans.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »
lol, vNooblet, I didn't say 100%, I said harder, that could be 80% or 90%, or something harder than what it is today.

it's 75% now, would 5% make that much difference?

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »

it's 75% now, would 5% make that much difference?

I didn't commit to 80%, I just said harder, maybe 85%, maybe 90%... I also suggested making the % dependent on the distance it is from other fields. If the field is a sector away from another would require a higher % than a field half a sector way, enabling people to have time to get to the field from another field in the case that the fh is taken out.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »
What happened to respect? Some of you guys really need to grow up. Name calling on a internet message board, Really?

As for the original post. You mean like an arena where its two sides and one side is AI?

I'm not surprised by his response, however...

lol, vNooblet, I didn't say 100%, I said harder, that could be 80% or 90%, or something harder than what it is today.

Seriously?  Though I really won't hold it against ya, as I should have worded my post better, it wasn't ment as an attack.  I apologize for that mix up.  However, maybe a better way of saying exactly what you wanted prior to my post would have helped your argument a little.  You only tossed out a very basic idea, and just the one which was...

Or make the needed amount for a white flag, dependent on the distance that base is from another base, so that a defense can be mounted and a subsequent fight can ensue.

So what would be a way to get this to work?  2% per 5 miles to next base?  How does a port or a V-base factor into the percentage?  Would it be more or less?  Would multiple gv spawns to the base also affect it's distance based percent?

In the end, it will not matter what percentage is used.  If the other side wants to shut the base down, then it's going to happen.  When HiTech had it set to 100%, I found that this was taking place a bit more than it is now.  After all, it's a LOT easier to make sure the town is 100% down if the base is shut down instead of having to provide cap over the field while trying to check for buildings.

Just a little FYI, I am not part of the Devils Brigade. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
The recent 'efficiency' at which people are taking out the fH and the VH at a base with 40+ people to prevent people from combating them, leads me to believe that there should be an arena where people who don't want to fight can go and gang up on base ack.

I know this sounds like a whine but its not, I'm not complaining about base takers per-say, I just want to have the opportunity to play AH against another human player, and when the numbers get thin, 'interesting' behavior surfaces..... As such, move all the "I don't want to fight against human players" into their own arena, and let the rest of us fight each other.

I guess I just could state on 200, alright.. all though who want to fight lets go to EW, and let LW off hours turn into what EW is.

Go kill ords......Problem solved......But wait.......You must be motivated first........

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »

or u couldz join deez guyz
:headscratch:
dont blame us because you dont want to fly in EW like SOAR likes too.  :rolleyes:

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 12:45:26 PM »
In the end, it will not matter what percentage is used.  If the other side wants to shut the base down, then it's going to happen.  When HiTech had it set to 100%, I found that this was taking place a bit more than it is now.  After all, it's a LOT easier to make sure the town is 100% down if the base is shut down instead of having to provide cap over the field while trying to check for buildings.

It doesn't matter if they shut down the base, the point is you can up from a neighboring one and get to the attacked one in time.

Go kill ords......Problem solved......But wait.......You must be motivated first........

If you can't up from a neighboring field to get to the attacked field, there is no way in hell your going to get to the field which they are upping from in time before the attacked based is taken. So, by the time you take ords, it moot, the attacked field is gone.  :rolleyes:

==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)