Author Topic: ready to give up  (Read 1605 times)

Offline hellwolf

• Zinc Member
ready to give up
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
Ok been playing for a year, have a usual k/d ratio between 2-3.  All of a sudden , that is last 5 days I cant buy a kill.  Ive changed planes changed strategy, changed joystick. Whatever I try making no difference, if i look at an ack it kills me. Whatever angle i take on a buff, first bullet pilot kill. I suddleny cant out turn planes I could before, I cant outrun or catch planes I could before.  I can get on an enemies 6 be 200 out let loose with a whole clip and not even get a hit sprite. Other planes are getting hits and destroying my stabilser from 1.5k out! My ratio dropped to less than 1.5.  What the hell is going on? I know some days you are the bug and somedays the windscreen. I know sometimes my own stupid mistakes get me killed, but at the moment my run of luck is incredibly bad.  I try to avoid HOs I usually pull up or get lateral seperation just as guns come into range, but now whenever i pull up other plane either shoots my tail off or collides with me, EVERY collision in last 5 days results in MY death even tho it says they collided with me!

Is lag playing its part here or am I just in an incredibly bad luck streak?  Its become so frustating that im ready just to give up. 

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: ready to give up
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »
Have you recently take a break from the game? If so that would explain why.

It seems that you are frustrated that you don't get kills, therefore you are desperate to get a kill, therefore you do stupid things to get to a kill (which get you killed). So relax, and just shoot what you can. Don't go in the ack, don't get on bomber's 6, ect...
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:22:50 AM »
Sounds like a connection issue since the update. They tend to be firewall related. You may want to post in the Tech Support forum.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:16 AM »
thinking maybe rubber bullet syndrome and stick lost calibration...might want to recalibrate/reset your stick in game...then reset your graphics settings.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
I've had periods like that. You can't kill nothing and everything kills you, trees, blades of grass, buildings, and then you get nailed by a manned ack 3.5k away. LOL.

I went 3 days once with no kills and a ton of assists. Then I spotted a p47 diving on our buffs. I screamed down at him doing over 500mph. I shot off his left wing. Then I thought will someone steal my kill. So I shot off his right wing. Finally a kill!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
Ive run into stretches like that too.   A while ago, every time during hard maneuvers, my plane would seem to just freeze up and fall out of the air.  When I finally thought of it, I checked my controller calibration, I was seeing lots of spiking on my control axes.   Got a new stick after that.

More recently, I was seeing stuff similar to you, collisions, tail shot off, can't get hits, etc.  I went back to a hardwired network connection after trying a wireless adapter, and although its only been a few days I think things have improved.   Have you checked your net status in the game?

Oh, plus I made it a point to fly with squaddies - can't underestimate the help you get when flying with guys who check 6 and shoot bandits off your tail.

Hey another simple thing to try is up a completely different airframe.  If you usually fly a 51, try flying a Zeke instead.  Something with opposite characteristics that will make you "think" about how you fly again.   Its another way out of a rut you might not even realize you're in.

Point is hellwolf, don't give up the ship!   I've been here lots longer than you and I don't have your kill/death ratio.   My fun/frustration ratio is a better indicator for me now than k/d.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
Check your vid card settings. Make sure Vertical Synch is forced off.

You can also check your ammo stream (online) Up at a remote base, type .target350 into the text buffer. You'll find a bulls eye target 350 yds at your due north position. The distance can be adjusted.... .target 250 will set it at 250 yds and so on. To get rid of the target type .targetgoaway

I've heard some of the ubersticks advise to turn off tracers for a few weeks and practice lead shots vs walking in your tracers. I tried that several times without much luck, but then, I still suck at most aspects of AH after 10 years   :cry
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:17:43 AM by Max »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:38 AM »
You want your Vsync ON. Off is only for testing.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »
Ooops, Fug is correct...my bad  :eek:

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
Everybody goes through dry spells where nothing goes right, Hellwolf.  You just need to play through it and try to have some fun with it.  Experience allows you to realize that no dry spell lasts forever, just as no hot streak lasts forever either.  Go grab something new and take it for a whirl without any performance expectations.  Once you take your mind off of how bad you're flying, you'll find that you're flying just fine despite yourself.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:48 AM »
What Levi said.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Ok been playing for a year, have a usual k/d ratio between 2-3.  All of a sudden , that is last 5 days I cant buy a kill. 

Check the exchange rate. Maybe you need more coin.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »
I took a quick look at your scores for the last few tours.  My advice...  Get out of the LA7.  Spend a couple tours exclusively flying something that you can't disengage so easily.  Then fly into the soup and worry less about kills and more about staying alive.  Your SA will improve and hopefully so will your ACM skills.  Oh, and don't even look at your score during the tour.

I am a firm believer that flying the "sooper planes" all of the time slows your progression.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »
Ok been playing for a year, have a usual k/d ratio between 2-3.  All of a sudden , that is last 5 days I cant buy a kill.  Ive changed planes changed strategy, changed joystick. Whatever I try making no difference, if i look at an ack it kills me. Whatever angle i take on a buff, first bullet pilot kill. I suddleny cant out turn planes I could before, I cant outrun or catch planes I could before.  I can get on an enemies 6 be 200 out let loose with a whole clip and not even get a hit sprite. Other planes are getting hits and destroying my stabilser from 1.5k out! My ratio dropped to less than 1.5.  What the hell is going on? I know some days you are the bug and somedays the windscreen. I know sometimes my own stupid mistakes get me killed, but at the moment my run of luck is incredibly bad.  I try to avoid HOs I usually pull up or get lateral seperation just as guns come into range, but now whenever i pull up other plane either shoots my tail off or collides with me, EVERY collision in last 5 days results in MY death even tho it says they collided with me!

Is lag playing its part here or am I just in an incredibly bad luck streak?  Its become so frustating that im ready just to give up. 

How did you log into my acct  :rofl
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:22:34 AM »
Everybody goes through dry spells where nothing goes right, Hellwolf.  You just need to play through it and try to have some fun with it.  Experience allows you to realize that no dry spell lasts forever, just as no hot streak lasts forever either.  Go grab something new and take it for a whirl without any performance expectations.  Once you take your mind off of how bad you're flying, you'll find that you're flying just fine despite yourself.

Pretty much sums it up.  I've hit dry spells before, the bad ones tend to last a couple weeks where nothing seems to go right.  In the past I've taken a couple days off if the frustration level was really high.  I've also concentrated on going back to basics, SA, being more deliberate in my thinking and decision making.  Another thing that's helped is finding someone and just doing 1v1's in the DA.  A good dueling partner can be a life saver.  In a 1v1 you eliminate all the external variables of the MA, ack, multiple bad guys, etc. You can focus almost entirely on your plane and control inputs, you also have someone there who can offer pointers or answer questions.  

Hang in there Hellwolf a lot of us have been there before and you'll snap out of it sooner or later.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.