Author Topic: New headset: Turtle Beach HPA2  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
New headset: Turtle Beach HPA2
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »
Wow!  I've been using a Turtle Beach HPA2 headset all of one day, and I am already very impressed.  I have them plugged in to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme.  Music, even plain old two-channel stereo, sounds great, and the 3D effects in Aces High are even better.  And the headset seems to be pretty rugged, too, since it's made primarily of metal, not plastic.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: New headset: Turtle Beach HPA2
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
It's a damn good headset, use one myself.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »
I've had mine a couple years now, Love Them!

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »
I haven't looked around, but do they make any bigger headsets?  I used Airflyer's and that thing was very uncomfortable due to my head being too big for it.  It barely fit over my ears at full extension and wasn't big enough side to side (was pressed against head tightly).  The quality was just awesome, but that sets it back for me.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
I haven't looked around, but do they make any bigger headsets?  I used Airflyer's and that thing was very uncomfortable due to my head being too big for it.  It barely fit over my ears at full extension and wasn't big enough side to side (was pressed against head tightly).  The quality was just awesome, but that sets it back for me.

Are you sure you're talking about the same headset?  The ear cups are easily 2" by 2.5".  I think the only thing bigger you're going to find is maybe a professional set of headphones...

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »
Are you sure you're talking about the same headset?  The ear cups are easily 2" by 2.5".  I think the only thing bigger you're going to find is maybe a professional set of headphones...

Should be the same one, Airflyer has a TB headset that looks identical to that one.
The ear cups were plenty big, but due to the lack of extension in the headband they don't fit.  It was barely too small but enough to be very uncomfortable after a few minutes.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »
Same headset, personally I love 'em but to each their own. I think the main selling factor for me was 5.1 through 3.5mm jacks instead of USB.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
Should be the same one, Airflyer has a TB headset that looks identical to that one.
The ear cups were plenty big, but due to the lack of extension in the headband they don't fit.  It was barely too small but enough to be very uncomfortable after a few minutes.

Ahh gotcha.. yeah I read your post wrong!

Wow and I thought I had a big head!  A "large" size motorcycle helmet is nice and tight on me, but I can pull the ear cups down another 1.5" or so on my headset!  I think in your case you're probably beyond the 'one size fits all' standard.

But that's ok.. you know what they say about guys with big heads...

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:16:07 PM »
I have these and I love them

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/internet-headsets-phones/devices/5095

I love harassing my squaddies with the built invoice morphing.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Wow!  I've been using a Turtle Beach HPA2 headset all of one day, and I am already very impressed.  I have them plugged in to a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme.  Music, even plain old two-channel stereo, sounds great, and the 3D effects in Aces High are even better.  And the headset seems to be pretty rugged, too, since it's made primarily of metal, not plastic.

Whoaaa...  They really have 8 speakers in the thing?

Does it really feel like surround sound?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
Im going to get a set of the corsair HS1s I had a look at them and they look great too. I dont think they have 8 speakers though

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:37:58 AM »
Whoaaa...  They really have 8 speakers in the thing?

Does it really feel like surround sound?

Yes, there are four separate speakers inside each earcup and it really IS surround sound.  The headset has three 3.5mm plugs, one each for for Front, Center/Subwoofer, and Surround.  These get plugged into a 5.1 (or better) sound card.  The small inline amp has a low-pass filter that grabs the low-frequency sound from all three inputs and re-routes that to the subwoofers.  There is a USB plug that is used only for power.  No sound signal travels via USB.  Your computer's main CPU is not really in the loop, depending upon just how well your sound card off-loads sound processing duties.

Check out the little sales pitch video on the Turtle Beach site.  The guy is a bit faux-cool and a bit breathless in his descriptions, but it's an interesting video nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:40:52 AM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
how comfortable are they for gents with slightly larger ear lobes?

My current set get a little annoying after a couple of hours of flying.   :(
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »

i looked at the specs and its 5.1 not 7.1 surround sound.  makes a small difference while in gv's.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »
i looked at the specs and its 5.1 not 7.1 surround sound.  makes a small difference while in gv's.

semp

No one said the Turtle Beach ones were 7.1... :headscratch:
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D