Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23927 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2011, 01:10:20 AM »
You have pretty much nailed the problem with arena caps with this comment. The things you are talking about still exist. The arena caps did nothing to change that and and will never do anything to change it. The SPECIFIC problems are not being addressed or even acknowledged.

As for your choices, nobody is suggesting getting rid of all the other arenas, only the extra LW arena.

The stuff that ImaDot is referring to have been addressed, it's called using the .report function.  The arena cap wasn't implemented to curb or police people's behavior, it was meant to address the situation where the arena had grown to the point where it wasn't growing anymore and was becoming "unhealthy" to the point where it was driving away customers and slowed business growth.

ack-ack 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2011, 02:03:42 AM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:56:44 AM by hitech »
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:05 AM »
I don't think it works actually, it was a short term coincidence imo.  They made a change, and numbers went up for a few months.  That change must have been the cause for reasons unknown?  Maybe?  Or maybe it was just a coincidence?  That's why I'm asking important questions.  If they cannot be answered then it was probably just a coincidence, they should not be difficult questions to answer if there is a correlation.

Got love this, lets not look at the Elephant, but dismiss it as nothing more then coincidence. "and numbers went up for a few months". But then again if you really had any info you would know the duration. Because a few months was not what happened.
Since you are willing to dismiss it as coincidence, no data I could ever show you could convince you otherwise because "coincidence" covers all.

HiTech

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
Got love this, lets not look at the Elephant, but dismiss it as nothing more then coincidence. "and numbers went up for a few months". But then again if you really had any info you would know the duration. Because a few months was not what happened.
Since you are willing to dismiss it as coincidence, no data I could ever show you could convince you otherwise because "coincidence" covers all.

HiTech

The arena split did occur during a peak in the US economy and the numbers have declined with the slowdown in the economy.  With all due respect, could this be the elephant in the room rather than the actual arena split?  The thing that is strange to me is the fact that very few, active players who have enough guts to speak up about anything do not prefer the arena split (sycophants excluded) .  How can this silent majority of players that flocked to AH after the split be so silent?  Also, how did they know that the arena was split and thereby were attracted?  Honestly, the pieces don’t all fit together.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »
HiTech hasn't commented on my suggestion...... I'm very disappointed and hurt Hitech. :noid

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2011, 09:39:32 AM »
You have pretty much nailed the problem with arena caps with this comment. The things you are talking about still exist. The arena caps did nothing to change that and and will never do anything to change it. The SPECIFIC problems are not being addressed or even acknowledged.

As for your choices, nobody is suggesting getting rid of all the other arenas, only the extra LW arena.

Nope, it's exactly the same thing.  If I wanted to fly LW hotrod planes, was in Orange, but all I saw was the tuff-boi pissing contests and crap-flinging, I'd switch to Blue to see if it was any better.  If there was only one LW arena, and I was subjected to that crap, I'd have never subscribed.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2011, 09:58:58 AM »
The arena split did occur during a peak in the US economy and the numbers have declined with the slowdown in the economy.  With all due respect, could this be the elephant in the room rather than the actual arena split?  The thing that is strange to me is the fact that very few, active players who have enough guts to speak up about anything do not prefer the arena split (sycophants excluded) .  How can this silent majority of players that flocked to AH after the split be so silent?  Also, how did they know that the arena was split and thereby were attracted?  Honestly, the pieces don’t all fit together.

When economics change different metrics change. As an example when the economy is bad, more people who have not played in 2 months will decide that they can not afford to keep the account open when they are not playing much anymore. When the economy is good more people will make the choice not to close thinking they may play again in a few weeks.

People see the split and think I wish we had 1 arena. What they do not correlate and see is the benefits of having the split arena,they just believe things will be the same if we have more people in one arena. People do see the down side of a split arena, like not being able to play with their squad.

HiTech

Offline asleep1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:37:22 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
I tend to find in the off hours setting, I'll only fly till the arena lock.it's not because the splitting of the arenas bothers me.  It's more of the fact that I'm required to stop fighting, log in to another arena and look for a new fight.  More often than not I just log off at 5pm EST.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
Would that be the regular squads or multiple squads under the same name?

This would only apply to EACH SQUAD.  I know what you are saying.. my squad has four 'branches' but the game sees each branch as their own individual squad.  I understand that and agree with HiTech having the squad numbers capped for a reason so he would have have to allow squads to get bigger, he would have to be able to 'link' smaller squads together, or we would have to trim the fat from our squads to make them fit into one actual squad in the game.  I see no need for him to compromise that for us.

Quote from: HiTech
When economics change different metrics change. As an example when the economy is bad, more people who have not played in 2 months will decide that they can not afford to keep the account open when they are not playing much anymore. When the economy is good more people will make the choice not to close thinking they may play again in a few weeks.

While I don't disagree with that HiTech, I also firmly believe that when the economy is bad people may decide to subscribe!  Since $15/month is extremely cheap entertainment, a lot of people may opt to join in and play for $15/month, instead of going out to bars etc. and spending $100+ a week.  Of course you're the one who gets to see the income numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it works both ways...

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
I like tigger29s idea. Not sure how hard it would be to code. I definitely think that for most people this is a social game - they want to fly with their friends and get angry when they can't.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
they want to fly with their friends and get angry when they can't.

Really.... Grown ups get angry over this?  I wish I had this little to worry about.

:bolt:
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Hector

• Zinc Member
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
I think the legislature should pass an amendment to the constitution requiring the national government to mail out vouchers to interested players during times of economic hardship. I also think that all democrats should be required to join and fly C47's in LWO and republicans in LWB on Wednesday night so I can shoot them down and get me some perks! LOL

+1  :aok

I am almost fine with the way the caps are now.  Like HiTech has said many times, just fly one 30min mission in blue and chances are there will be an opening in orange when you are done. If not then just log in and out a few times if the cap is close enough to the number of people in the arena, if not then just fly in blue and get over yourself.  In the off chance that you only have 30min to play anyway, why are you logging on in the first place? Why are we even talking about the arena split? The OP was about the caps, which I find no fault with and am kind of glad that they are in place.

<S>
Regards,
Hector
My plane isn't invincible, my aim is just better.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »
+1  :aok

I am almost fine with the way the caps are now.  Like HiTech has said many times, just fly one 30min mission in blue and chances are there will be an opening in orange when you are done. If not then just log in and out a few times if the cap is close enough to the number of people in the arena, if not then just fly in blue and get over yourself.  In the off chance that you only have 30min to play anyway, why are you logging on in the first place? Why are we even talking about the arena split? The OP was about the caps, which I find no fault with and am kind of glad that they are in place.

<S>
Regards,
Hector

I don't believe I have ever said or insinuated this. Other people have many times though.

HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »

People see the split and think I wish we had 1 arena. What they do not correlate and see is the benefits of having the split arena,they just believe things will be the same if we have more people in one arena. People do see the down side of a split arena, like not being able to play with their squad.

HiTech

For me, this is incredibly cheap entertainment.  When times get tough I cut out alot of stuff but not Aces High.  No matter what else I do, it is more than 15 bucks a month.  The money I have a (well) spent on this game have saved me thousands on other hobbies (obsessions).
Wag more, bark less.