Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 24523 times)

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
I just got the game yesterday and it seems like there are only a few fights going on at 3-4 places per side, even though there are many many more places where fights could be occurring. In my eyes, I want to take part in a huge war with the most people possible. If I wanted to fight small battles I would've bought IL-2 or play in the duel arena. I think they should just go with the 850 cap that the off hours arena has and just have 1 server. I don't even understand how the war continues since the servers are closed for half the day and you can only join the off hours arena.

TL;DR - 1 server, no caps, if you want smaller fights go to the duel arena or play IL-2

I just bought the game so my opinion doesn't hold as much weight as older players, but I don't think that most people are playing a MMO flight sim to just fight against 100 people at a time.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #376 on: March 21, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
 :cry Cry.  I said  :cry cryyyy.  Cry :cry, just a little bit harder.  :lol

I like having two wars.
<S> High tech well done.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #377 on: March 21, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
I just got the game yesterday and it seems like there are only a few fights going on at 3-4 places per side, even though there are many many more places where fights could be occurring. In my eyes, I want to take part in a huge war with the most people possible. If I wanted to fight small battles I would've bought IL-2 or play in the duel arena. I think they should just go with the 850 cap that the off hours arena has and just have 1 server. I don't even understand how the war continues since the servers are closed for half the day and you can only join the off hours arena.

TL;DR - 1 server, no caps, if you want smaller fights go to the duel arena or play IL-2

I just bought the game so my opinion doesn't hold as much weight as older players, but I don't think that most people are playing a MMO flight sim to just fight against 100 people at a time.

Jeez, i been playing over a year and I can't fight against 100.  I have trouble fighting 2 or 3, heck just 1 for that matter.  I can only keep track of about 5 or 6 at once, much less fight 100.

Wag more, bark less.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
I didn't read this entire thread so I'm not sure if someone posted this or not. If so, my apologies...

AW had a system of limited aircraft available from a particular base. The factories only produced so many planes to resupply a field's aircraft quota. In here there are unlimited aircraft (except for side balancing/perk restrictions that apply countrywide) available from a base. You can theoretically up 1000 planes at once from any field on any map if you get enough players together.

Stop the unlimited motor pools. Make players move to bases further away and travel farther to enter a horde. I've never seen an airbase that had an unlimited supply of aircraft. You get your plane shot down and the aircraft supply has not been replenished, then you have to move back to the next closest base that has available airplanes.

Seems simple and historically accurate to me.

My 2 cents. :salute
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »
I just got the game yesterday...
...so my opinion doesn't hold as much weight as older players...

1.  Welcome
2. Actually, your opinion might actually carry more than some of the jaded old-timers

:salute
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I didn't read this entire thread so I'm not sure if someone posted this or not. If so, my apologies...

AW had a system of limited aircraft available from a particular base. The factories only produced so many planes to resupply a field's aircraft quota. In here there are unlimited aircraft (except for side balancing/perk restrictions that apply countrywide) available from a base. You can theoretically up 1000 planes at once from any field on any map if you get enough players together.

Stop the unlimited motor pools. Make players move to bases further away and travel farther to enter a horde. I've never seen an airbase that had an unlimited supply of aircraft. You get your plane shot down and the aircraft supply has not been replenished, then you have to move back to the next closest base that has available airplanes.

Seems simple and historically accurate to me.

My 2 cents. :salute

LOL I've been calling for this for years for the same reasons. In AW though it was an inadvertent result of technology limits then by design.
But it had one thing in its favor.

It actually worked wonderfully
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »
1.  Welcome
2. Actually, your opinion might actually carry more than some of the jaded old-timers

:salute

Yep. Its a newbs first impression. And first impressions can be everythig
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Yeah. I thought of that.

It really the same whine though.

It has been my experience since the new Off-Hours stuff that the numbers are pretty even in both arenas.

Maybe I'd be forced into the 117/150 arena instead of the 100/100 arena?

wrongway

Tell ya one thing I noticed. Maybe move that arena change up a bit. I noticed at almost exactly 11:00 PM EST the numbers seem to drop like a stone
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
Another random idea.  Each player gets two free "Bumps into the capped arena" per week.  That way if they really want to fly with their friends on a given day they can get in there.

Hey great idea grizz.  I have an addendum though.  After you use your 2 freebies for the month, each subsequent bump into the full arena costs either 50 perks for 50 cents.   :banana:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #384 on: March 21, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »
Hey great idea grizz.  I have an addendum though.  After you use your 2 freebies for the month, each subsequent bump into the full arena costs either 50 perks for 50 cents.   :banana:

Omg that's even better! Nice brainstorming session grizz. *fist pound*

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2011, 05:27:55 AM »
imagine the lightbulb that goes off in peoples heads when they realize what i already know.

the lower population arena has better fights and less horde mentality.

can you fathom why my little horde lemmings?

a short pause for shock and awe to ensue to the uninformed horde lemming masses...

"wow thx Fester! I never knew!"

don't mention it

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:42 PM »
Scratching head, I don't see the problem?  Why did you not go into blue?

HiTech

The problem is squad camraderie.    Caps  ruin it if the squad is deeply intrenched in 'your' war and cannot disengaged from One arena to move to another to accomodate those left behind.    Plain and simple.  

It sucks to fly in another arena, separated from your dedicated wingmen and squadmates.

Caps will not force me to go into blue arena,  i'd rather fly elsewhere and at times have chosen IL2 1946 sturmovik  or go do other real world activities.  All because of caps which will become worse.

Get it now?

The higher 80% will just ruin more squad nights.   Make those who are individuals, less likely to join a squad, and perhaps less loyal to AH   (perhaps)....  At the most,  they will camp online more often so that they can find a spot when the peak of squads get online  (and this will ruin side percentages and ENY).

Hello?  Knock knock...

Oh and for those other naysayers,   there will always be a horde mentality  when  one side  (bishops)  always run coordinated ops against the rooks who quite frankly mostly prefer to furball.  Obeservable fact.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:45:18 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »

The problem is squad camraderie.    Caps  ruin it if the squad is deeply intrenched in 'your' war and cannot disengaged from One arena to move to another to accomodate those left behind.    Plain and simple.  

It sucks to fly in another arena, separated from your dedicated wingmen and squadmates.

Caps will not force me to go into blue arena,  i'd rather fly elsewhere and at times have chosen IL2 1946 sturmovik  or go do other real world activities.  All because of caps which will become worse.

Get it now?

Flying with your squad is up to you. Your squad flying with you is up to them.

If that is the priority, YOU can make it happen. Go to the arena where you all fit. Duh!©CARLOS ESTEVEZ

Explain "Can't disengage" to me. Your over enemy territory hours from home? No, you are at home.

The ability to fly together as a squad is there. It's really up to the squad to do so. I guess it's more important where you fly than who you fly with.

Wait. I forgot. You can't disengage.

Hello?  Knock knock...

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »

They don't sound like very dedicated wingmen/squadmates if they won't fly together where there's room for all of you.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #389 on: March 22, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »
Are yall seriously that jaded to see his real point? His point wasn't just that he wants to play with his squad. His argument mentions that he wants to stay in the fight he has already committed to. I sympathize and agree with this. I don't want to spend hours doing bombing runs and taking towns only to take a short break and come back to find that I have to go to a different map and start all over again. I want to see the influence I have made on the game. If I help take an airfield and log off, I want to come back to see that my country mates have used that airfield to attack other nearby airfields.

This is a MMO after all, people play it to get a sense of a real war and taking territory. If you just want to run missions or dogfight in small groups, play IL-2 or join the Duel Arena.