Author Topic: Lewis & Clarks Air Rifle  (Read 3151 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Lewis & Clarks Air Rifle
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
Old squadmate sent me this, i thought i would share its something i never knew, Lewis and Clark's air rifle,  Made in 1790 by Girandoni it holds 22- 46cal ball ammo, he says it could shoot 40 shots before starting to lose Muzzle velocity, 22 shots in 30 seconds, I've never heard of this Rifle in any history class i took while in school but its in his diary on the first page  :headscratch:  interesting 8 Min's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI&feature=player_embedded
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Lewis & Clarks Air Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
 :O  now that is seriously cool...800psi in an antique rifle with at least 100 yards range?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »
i just never knew they had an Air Rifle back then, thank heavens they wasn't used during the civil war
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Blackwulf

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »
Cool video, I am always glad to learn something new.
I wonder though, if this was around so early on, why there wasn't further development of these types of rifles?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
Considering that the avg line of foot soldier could barely fire 3 rounds a minute with a musket... wow.. wonder why they didn't adopt this rifle all over. It can easily pump 10+ rounds a minute.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
i'm guessing range was a big factor...100 yards accurately with air vs 200+ accurately with powder...

and pumping it back up in combat would not be a good thing to get caught doing when the enemy does a bayonet charge...

jarhed  

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
i'm guessing range was a big factor...100 yards accurately with air vs 200+ accurately with powder...

and pumping it back up in combat would not be a good thing to get caught doing when the enemy does a bayonet charge...

800psi.

How long does it take to pump up your 35psi car tire with a bicycle pump?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »
800psi.

How long does it take to pump up your 35psi car tire with a bicycle pump?

wrongway
i've never actually been successful in doing it... :lol

i could have sworn the guy in the video said 1800 pumps to fill that rifle...  :O
jarhed  

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »

muskets were horribly inaccurate down to 100 yards anyways. The black smoke blocked the view after the first volley so aiming was out of the question..not to mention recoil.

The musket also needs to be propped up to reload..and there is no reason the air rifle could not be fitted with a bayonet (heck it needs no loading from the end of the barrel so it'd be even better to fix a bayonet on it).

The guy said the rifle would fire about 45 rounds before starting to lose PSI. It took 1500 pumps to get its pressure to full. Armies of the day would line up to fight each other...plenty of time in the night or morning to pump up your gun. Even then, most musket troops barely fired 10 to 20 rounds before either being dead or in bayonet combat.

The key thing is rate of fire. A line of foot firing 10 rounds a minute will obliterate a line firing avg 2 rounds a minute.

I think the reason why this weapon was not adopted was the same for which the fergusson rifle (or rifles in general) were not adopted: bureaucratic red tape and unwillingness in the army to spend money to re-arm their troops.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
Actually, those air rifles are quite complex.  Would you trust a herd of illiterate peasants with rifles worth in the tens of thousands in today's money?

-Penguin

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
if they are the only thing keeping my country safe at night? Yes.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »
Actually, those air rifles are quite complex.  Would you trust a herd of illiterate peasants with rifles worth in the tens of thousands in today's money?

-Penguin
well, you're a prime example of why the illiterate peasants shouldn't have anything more lethal than a wet noodle...

that air rifle was state of the are for the 18th/19th century...amazing thing is they wouldn't have let you touch it back then either.
jarhed  

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 10:34:53 PM »
well, you're a prime example of why the illiterate peasants shouldn't have anything more lethal than a wet noodle...

that air rifle was state of the are for the 18th/19th century...amazing thing is they wouldn't have let you touch it back then either.
:rofl
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 04:46:07 AM »
Would you trust a herd of illiterate peasants with rifles worth in the tens of thousands in today's money?

I think your opinion of people back then is a bit skewed.  I'd argue that institutional education not withstanding, those people had far more common sense and far greater knowledge of things you and I know nothing about.  I remember my great grandmother showing me a copy of a test she took back in 1910, she was 9 years old at that time, and I couldn't answer half of the questions that were on it and I have always done well on modern tests; ACT, ASVAB et.c.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 05:29:52 AM »
All this time and so many documentaries I have never heard about this gun. Great post!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter