Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 16102 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »
HTC Staff - What type of FPS hit can we expect from this view system? TrackIR/FreeTrack/TrackNoIR all come with a hit to frames and I suspect this system will follow along their lines.

As far as AH is concerned, TrackIR and such shouldn't give you a FPS hit at all. For AH, looking around with TrackIr is just like looking around with the mouse or using hat button in "pan" mode. On very weak computers already struggling with AH it could give you a FPS hit because of the added burdon of running the TrackIr/Freetrack/whatever drivers & software in addition to the AH program.

But I do not expect the new view mode in AH itself to have any negative impact on framerates at all, as the view itself isn't something very different, just the actions associated with it are.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »
Real TCs don't have a HUD reticle like the TC has in the video, in the form of gunner's FOV circle/relative guns orientation widget.   But like HT says, all you have to do is either:
. Teleport to gunner view even for just a moment (like you check your six for a fraction of a second in cockpit) to check aim.  For anything beyond close range you'd need to adjust aim in gunner view, so the TC view crutch isn't total
. Stick a dot or your cursor in the middle of the screen.  You still need gunner zoom to aim accurately

In effect you end up with the same kind of accuracy as if you didn't have the HUD circle.  What I would change is making the circle a standard size rather than varying with the turret optics' FOV.  Assuming all TCs are equal.

The new system lends TOWARDS realism and does nothing to dumb it down.
It does dumb things down a bit, but for the better.  Just like Combat Trim is a net positive.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:00:31 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:09 PM »
HTC Staff - What type of FPS hit can we expect from this view system? TrackIR/FreeTrack/TrackNoIR all come with a hit to frames and I suspect this system will follow along their lines.

Couldn't the hits to frame rate with the third party program running at the same time as AH2 be attributed to the fact that there is an additional program running in the background while you play?

As the new tank stuff is part of the game I don't see it has having an effect.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28:56 PM »
 Yay I will finally be able to map the throttle keys to my stick throttle easily!!!  Always wondered why it was never tied to the throttle in the first place. :)
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
Not clear if you mean that, but pretty sure HT said that throttle axis couldn't map to vehicle throttle.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
Not clear if you mean that, but pretty sure HT said that throttle axis couldn't map to vehicle throttle.

Buttons...?

Something to use the CH Throttle mouse for.
 :aok

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2011, 10:03:29 PM »
Now I'm lost.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
Now I'm lost.

This is what I was thinking of:

There are not any brakes or throttle control.

There is W go faster, and S go slower.

Brakes are applied if needed and throttle is applied if needed.

5Point no you can not map a throttle to a throttle in a tank , because there is not a throttle in the tank.

You could map buttons to accelerate and slow down though.

I found the throttle on the stick works great for range setting on German sights.

HiTech

I fixed a teeny spelling goof for clarity.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »
So the CH throttle mouse works as a "button" hat switch too?  Mine is an actual "axis" joystick.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2011, 02:06:10 AM »
Hmm sorta like saying to your gunner. "FIRE?"

Is that indecision or sarcasm on the part of the Tank Commander?

Gunner: "Target is sighted commander, what should we do?"
TC: "Fire?"

anyway, I like it.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2011, 02:56:38 AM »
I suppose we'll be able to turn our engine on/off from the Cmdr's position as well?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:08 AM »
I play a FPS called ARMA2 and when the player is in the commanders position, giving the orders in the tank (Move to position X---Y---, Open Fire, Target enemy Jeep 3 o'clock 350yards etc.) It has AI's doing the other things to maintain immersion and realism.
AIDriver drives and obeys orders (FORWARD,FAST,HALT,LEFT,RIGHT,REVERSE.)
The AIGunner, shoots things once given permission and reports enemies he see (ENEMY SHILKA 1 O'CLOCK 500 YARDS, ENEMY RIFLEMAN IS HISTORY, etc.)
I enjoy this type of tanking simulation it's pretty immersive, you as commander have don't have direct input over the tank but have to scan for targets aswell as giving orders for general movements and tactics, relying on your AI to 'do the business' like you would rely on a tank crew in RL.

Thought this might be helpful to look at

:)
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2011, 06:03:14 AM »
wow cant wait to see if all these tank changes will help when my 1000 pounder lands on those upgraded panther gun sight tanks. i bet they still blow up as well as the older version................

EZRhino

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »

I will be using my Saitek profiling program on my X-52 to set my throttle to work as key presses for gv's after the update. :)
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2011, 04:15:14 PM »
So the CH throttle mouse works as a "button" hat switch too?  Mine is an actual "axis" joystick.

There are scripts that allow you to program key commands or macros to the mini-stick, such as script I have that I used to turn my mini-stick into an 8 way hatswitch.  While you can use the mini-stick to program the throttle, you can also use the slider on the Pro Throttle, which to me would be far more convenient and comfortable than using the mini-stick.  You can program your CH template so you can switch modes on the Pro Throttle and have the slider programmed with the GV throttle keys in Mode 2.  When you go back to flying, just switch the Pro Throttle into Mode 1.  Sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.  PM me if you want the script.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song