Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 16040 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #240 on: April 01, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
Same here. PT boats are but never understood why rest of GVs weren't. Next we need to look at fuel consumption... :salute

Fuel consumption, speeds, and reload rates.

Fuel consumption is hard to gauge.  If the range of a tank is 150 miles (on road, and everything in gv-land is rated "on road"), then with the current AH setting it will have at worst a %75 max fuel (4+ fuel tanks destroyed at spawn base), so that makes for a 112 miles range.  At most, tanks travel 3-5 miles from spawn point to the enemy target (base, town, spawn point).  So... how is that issue tackled?  It makes easy sense as to why HTC chose to not even bother with that aspect of gv's.

Currently in AH, all of the gv's have their rated road speed available.  Most of us know that the T34 didnt go rumbling across the plains and woodlands of the Eastern Front at full throttle at 35 mph.  As we have it in AH, the speeds are a luxury.  We dont have to worry about throwing a tread, plowing into a berm or a 2ft thick tree, or giving our crew members a concussion from the rough terrain [right about here someone is thinking about the wee little shrub that flipped their Tiger]. But all in all, speeds are a Jeckyl and Hyde situation.  If we campaign for slower and more accurate speeds for off road terrain, then we slow everything down.         

Reload rates have been a source of constant debate.  Im not sure exactly what to suggest a change in other that the M4A3/76mm.  It has the same reload rate of the lighter and shorter 75mm round and also the smaller and more compact 75mm cannon.  There are a few other debatable reload rates as well, but none like the 76mm M4.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #241 on: April 01, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
The tanks could have a separate fuel modifier like the Komet's.

If we campaign for slower and more accurate speeds for off road terrain, then we slow everything down.
Unless the campaign includes a few roads added to terrains between any spawn and its objective.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:52:05 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #242 on: April 01, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
The tanks could have a separate fuel modifier like the Komet's.
Unless the campaign includes a few roads added to terrains between any spawn and its objective.

That would require a complete re-programming of the maps and terrain files, yes?  Quite the monumental task.  We cant even get a current map with snow or some desert terrain on it.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #243 on: April 01, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
Ha.. But on the face of it it's a pretty simple addition. It'd really be too bad if they couldn't do it.  I'm not convinced they couldn't.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2011, 08:01:32 PM »
Ha.. But on the face of it it's a pretty simple addition. It'd really be too bad if they couldn't do it.  I'm not convinced they couldn't.

Instead of completely changing the coding to allow for the off-road or on-road speeds, I bet HTC could code in terrain textures that add in 1-3ft high groups of [for lack of better terms] moguls (small rolling hills seen on ski slopes) that cover the landscape in a 600 yard square grid like fashion, or maybe have long and wide strips of that rough terrain in a random manner.  Make it so the tank cant get to full road speed due to the constant change in terrain, at least in that grid or strip.  Once out of that mess, the tank can roar ahead until the next area of rough terrain.  Just a thought.

Hopefully, in return HTC would rid the maps of those treacherous little shrubs that fell Tiger tanks.   ;)       

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
We used to have terrain that rough.  It's vague memory now that I think harder about it, but I'm fairly sure you couldn't go full speed.  It was very choppy riding.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline PRS3RD2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
changes look nice, how about some ramming capabilities,if tanks are going to pivot,ramming would knock track off or damage it. lose killshooter,your still alive but you lose victory upon landing or perks,also gv arena with no planes or add heavy puffy ack to discourage bombing,i know was part of war,and at times seems only thing to get spawn uncamped.talk of tank destroyers good plan,how about adding arty,when base diabled, all acks dead,upping arty at spawn with well placed shot could prevent capture,as well as taking town down,or in place of planes have arty avail,in a gv only arena. tank towns vs v-bases,fighting vs capturing.getting back to tank detroyers would arty  be considered,that was and affective tank destroyer,said enough do not make many posts but the changes look to improve this aspect of the game,love aces high and all my squadies, friends ive made hanging out on other channels,players on other countrys, salute to all. :salute :salute :salute

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
Who remembers the little white rocks of death? :lol
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, now, all terrain in AH is considered "road"  There is no object density attached to the surface of the earth anymore.  That is why you automatically fall into the water if driving close to the shoreline. 

We used to have terrain that rough.  It's vague memory now that I think harder about it, but I'm fairly sure you couldn't go full speed.  It was very choppy riding.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »
Who remembers the little white rocks of death? :lol

*raises hand*

:lol
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #250 on: April 05, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »

the original AKPizza map was like that, couldn't go full speed because of the washboard terrain in the canyons.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #251 on: April 05, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
the original AKPizza map was like that, couldn't go full speed because of the washboard terrain in the canyons.

ack-ack

I understand that it is impossible to accurately model how it was in real life, but I always thought that it should be programmed so that GV's should be able to go faster on a paved road than on unpaved terrain.  Maybe simply impose a 10% speed penalty when not on the pavement.  Not a lot, but enough to entice people to stick to pavement whenever possible...

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #252 on: April 05, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
I understand that it is impossible to accurately model how it was in real life, but I always thought that it should be programmed so that GV's should be able to go faster on a paved road than on unpaved terrain.  Maybe simply impose a 10% speed penalty when not on the pavement.  Not a lot, but enough to entice people to stick to pavement whenever possible...

Yes, because most GV battles in-game happen on all the major roadways and
in the major cities now, don't they?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

ack-ack

I wonder if that terrain could be brought back?  It wasnt all that long ago that HTC removed some of the small hills in the terrain to make it more open then added them back in when the maps were updated during the graphics update. 

Im liking what Im seeing in these updates.  HTC seems to be taking a step in the right direction in the "simulation" feel of things.  Im just not sure how HTC can artificially slow down the tanks without major coding efforts AND slowing down the game too. 

Offline LThunderpocket

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2011, 07:07:28 PM »
totaly ruins it in my opinion.whats next?external views in fighters?
"no sir,it's kind of like playing Lone Ranger,but no one has to be Tonto.its a game everyone wins"
-Cpl Fish
"I refuse to be a role model
I set goals, take control, drink out my own bottles"
-Tupac