Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 17290 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2011, 12:56:02 AM »
The arcade part of me likes it, but the sim part of me hates it.

Immersion will suffer, unless you guys plan on Commander positions that can turn in and turn out. I think under fire an exposed Commander would want to protect himself.

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:56 AM »
awesome.  :aok
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2011, 02:20:37 AM »
It's sounding like I won't be able to shoot at planes with my pintle gun while leaving my turret aimed in another direction anymore.  It also sounds like I won't be able to fire only my pintle or only my hull gun.  And if all the guns are slaved does that mean the machine guns fire when I fire the turret and vice versa?

It looks cool but I guess I'll take a wait and see attitude.  I for one will miss the interiors too.

Hull and turret mg's are slaved together, not mg's and main gun as I read it. Function same as the B-29 tail position.

Fire Primary--> Fires coax
Fire Secondary--> Fires Hull mg
Fire All--> Fires both coax and hull mg's at same time.

The pintle is stil the pintle and the Main gun is still the Main gun.

The coax and hull mg's use the same "sight".

Wonder if there's a convergence?

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2011, 03:22:31 AM »
I have very mixed feelings about these changes...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:40 AM »
The arcade part of me likes it, but the sim part of me hates it.

Immersion will suffer, unless you guys plan on Commander positions that can turn in and turn out. I think under fire an exposed Commander would want to protect himself.

That would defeat the reason they did it.  They say that time spent on making interiors of tanks is costly (possibly we get more tanks out of the deal).  Certainly, a tank crew would be able to do more than one thing at a time any how, so I don't see any disadvantage to immersion, unless you are playing with two accounts and fill both gunner and driver seat currently (or always have a buddy gunning for you.  It should feel more like the bomber gunners we now have.

Good ideas HTC  :aok

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2011, 05:18:42 AM »
I cant judge based on whats been said. I like the complexity as it is because the difficulty makes it worth spending time in learning the different positions. I also like being able to raise the gun barrels and fire long range. World of Tanks wasnt hard it was just different and in a lot of ways I would say simplistic. Now how this new system is going to work at things like scaling hills or gearing down to take stalking shots is another question.

Wait and see is all we can do at this point.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2011, 05:50:46 AM »
I have very mixed feelings about these changes...

So do I(cough,gag,PS3,cough,gag)......but get the bombs ready boys, everyone and his brother will be GV'ing :devil :x
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
Well it looks great to me and I am looking forward to these changes. Thanks HTC.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
If everyone really wants their gear changes, hey HT, why not map E and Q to gear up/down and make it a toggle?

Truthfully though, that video looks really interesting. I don't really get the complaints of "less realistic" or "less simulation" as typically you have a team of multiple people controlling all of that stuff, and the commander just giving orders, so if you really wanted "realistic" they'd have to make it so you'd have multiple people in the tank and each person trusting each other person to do what is expected. As far as simulation side of things, I'm fairly sure the numbers governing everything aren't completely changing to arcadey, and in fact, it was specifically mentioned this is not going to affect turret transverse speed or anything of the sort, so how is the set of #s governing the ground battle now somehow more "sim" than the exact same numbers controling the GVs later?

I think it could also potentially increase the possibility of "close" GV battles now too, as you will now be able to fire while still being able to see where you're going. And your ability to aim will still be better using the optics, so sitting still is still going to be an advantage to aiming. Also, reducing the complexity might entice more people to try GV'ing. I guess I am just not seeing the downside, but admittedly, I'm not a hardcore GV'er so maybe someone who doesn't like these changes can explain what the downsides are?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:47:00 AM by Knite »
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:40 AM »
I will be doing ALOT more tanking when this is implemented.  :salute

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »
because the difficulty makes it worth spending time in learning the different positions.
Ya, I spent a LOT of time in the bow gunners position, and I really really enjoyed it.  I would have enjoyed being in the loaders position too.  Think of all the fun we could have had.

Nope.  from a game perspective (AH is a game remember) these changes will make GV'ing less about thinking and plodding along and more about getting to the nub of a fight and being able to maneuver and fight in battle more effectively.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
Ya, I spent a LOT of time in the bow gunners position, and I really really enjoyed it.  I would have enjoyed being in the loaders position too.  Think of all the fun we could have had.

Nope.  from a game perspective (AH is a game remember) these changes will make GV'ing less about thinking and plodding along and more about getting to the nub of a fight and being able to maneuver and fight in battle more effectively.

To me, it seems as if we'll be rolling around with the mindset of an Abrams tanker,
while driving Shermies and Panzies instead. It's... Weird, and different, but I think
for the most part we (the general players of AH) will adapt.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2011, 09:06:20 AM »
<-- sure hoping that the "Tiger flips over after running into a bush" bug gets resolved. Nice work HTC.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2011, 09:13:05 AM »
If everyone really wants their gear changes, hey HT, why not map E and Q to gear up/down and make it a toggle?

It sounds like the automatic transmission will switch to whatever gear is needed for the current speed.  All you do is hold down "W" until you're at the speed you want, then let go and you stay at that speed.  It's not like you have to hold down the "W" key to keep moving forward.  The ability to manually shift gears would be unnecessary.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2011, 09:28:32 AM »
Oh gee!  does this mean no more Tanks in neutral gear rolling down hills at 85 MPH  :O

Oh the horror!  Now I know why the game the gamers might be worried   :neener:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns