Author Topic: tank commander great. now for the realism trick: Buttoned/Unbuttoned  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
TC and new gunsights nice stuff. small immersion loss on no interiors but makes sense, never see them anyway.

however if your going to give the additional SA of an unbuttoned tank commander can we have him exposed and killable?

tank commanders had the highest mortality rate for their tendency to have their heads sticking out of the tank.

why not a buttoned position(hatches closed no SA mode Tank commander safe) and an Unbuttoned position (hatches open full SA Tank commander vulnerable)

its a pretty big chunk of realism in the choices facing a tank commander.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: tank commander great. now for the realism trick: Buttoned/Unbuttoned
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »
TC and new gunsights nice stuff. small immersion loss on no interiors but makes sense, never see them anyway.

however if your going to give the additional SA of an unbuttoned tank commander can we have him exposed and killable?

tank commanders had the highest mortality rate for their tendency to have their heads sticking out of the tank.

why not a buttoned position(hatches closed no SA mode Tank commander safe) and an Unbuttoned position (hatches open full SA Tank commander vulnerable)

its a pretty big chunk of realism in the choices facing a tank commander.

I agree that having the unrestricted view of the "unbuttoned" position may infringe upon the realism factor a wee bit, especially the situational awareness aspect.  The question is though how do you model the "buttoned up" views?  Some tanks had periscopes and some has cupolas so CT's could still view through slits, etc.  Some tanks didnt have anything for CT's fit they were buttoned up.

Once engaged with a target, the SA drops tremendously since the view is much smaller and focused.  That may be the trade off right there.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
you're going to have to be content with a small modicum of realism on the tanks...and this

has never existed anyway for any exposed position on the gv's...have you ever gotten wounded/killed in the turret machine gun position, or the mg position on a jeep getting strafed?

as much as people are talking about the "added realism" that the new settings are going to create, it's more for playability and expedience in adding new gv's to the game.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
totally agree.  The TC should be killable like a pilot.  Also be able to perform buttoned up and therefore safer from small arms fire.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:29:48 AM »
Even if the commander were killed wouldn't the rest of the crew remain or would they die of anguish?

BTW that means all positions would still have to be modeled as they are now once the commander is dead.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »
Even if the commander were killed wouldn't the rest of the crew remain or would they die of anguish?

BTW that means all positions would still have to be modeled as they are now once the commander is dead.

You pretty much got it. We thought about doing that but decided it took far more away then it added. I.E. started going into the nuisances realism realm. How do you model things  like a quick duck? How do you model the other crew replacing the commander? The simple fact is you have 1 person taking the place of 3. Some give and take must happen to have a realistic over all model at the expense of some detail realism.

HiTech

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »

nah, the next highest ranking crewmember would just take over until they could get a replacement.
jarhed  

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
You pretty much got it. We thought about doing that but decided it took far more away then it added. I.E. started going into the nuisances realism realm. How do you model things  like a quick duck? How do you model the other crew replacing the commander? The simple fact is you have 1 person taking the place of 3. Some give and take must happen to have a realistic over all model at the expense of some detail realism.

HiTech

i find myself placated by the subconcious knowledge that I have somehow gotten what I wanted and not what I asked for.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
nah, the next highest ranking crewmember would just take over until they could get a replacement.

Unless the tank got strafed from above with 8x.50 and a dozen or so .50 started ricocheting around the crew compartment. That'll make the day bad for the whole crew.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:35:19 PM »
Unless the tank got strafed from above with 8x.50 and a dozen or so .50 started ricocheting around the crew compartment. That'll make the day bad for the whole crew.
:rofl   :lol  very true
jarhed  

Offline vNUCKS

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »

i find myself placated by the subconcious knowledge that I have somehow gotten what I wanted and not what I asked for.

I hope this makes HiTech's day

:x
vNucks

Offline SpankyMc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »
Jeez folks. stop the whining about not being realistic enough. You want to be realistic? How's about this? In real war, you die, you stay dead.

This is a GAME. I would like to see features that make the GAME more enjoyable, and that does not necessarily mean more realism.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
Jeez folks. stop the whining about not being realistic enough. You want to be realistic? How's about this? In real war, you die, you stay dead.

This is a GAME. I would like to see features that make the GAME more enjoyable, and that does not necessarily mean more realism.

first: welcome to the BBS
second: thats just the way people are here.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 11:40:50 PM »

Point taken.  But when a company who takes pride in their realism, at least in the flight modeling, pilot views, etc, anytime something comes up that may not seem to fit the mold of previous experiences I cant blame people who question a new aspect.  Concerns are just that, the fear of the unknown or the lack of understanding what is forth coming.  Most of the time once the change arrives the panic is gone and the attempt to learn anew has begun.  

I was turned off by the WoT style of play.  However, HTC added in the gunners view and to me that makes a big difference.  There still is a "fog of war" to a certain degree once engaged with an enemy tank because of being in that sight.  Plus, the model specific (and correct) reticules and zoom are going to change the game in a major way.  Trust me.   :)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 12:33:22 AM »
I guess I just don't get how the current system where you have 1 person manning every position in the tank, jumping from one to the next, is soooo realistic.  This seems like an improvement to me, where the player can act as the commander with his crew performing a lot of the functions.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder